autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Ooops. I goofed!

Reminds me of the Lexus Immaculate Reflections did where that lady used a rough sponge fromt the kitchen on the entire car!

Immaculate Reflections - Lexus IS250 Scotch-Brite damage restored with a full correction
    Back to the full-time grind.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cleanmycorolla View Post
    Reminds me of the Lexus Immaculate Reflections did where that lady used a rough sponge fromt the kitchen on the entire car!

Immaculate Reflections - Lexus IS250 Scotch-Brite damage restored with a full correction

that's exactly what happened mate.

Fortunately, it was only the front of my car that was damaged.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    It's probably going to take a bit of work to correct that--is that something you really want to attempt yourself or do you want to find a local professional to help you?

EDIT: If the answer is you want to do it yourself, do you want to invest in buying a polishing machine or do you want to try it by hand? If you want to do it by hand, a better bet than Scratch-X is probably going to be Meguiar's Ultimate Compound with terry cotton or microfiber applicator. If the scratches are gone but the gloss isn't to your liking, follow up with Ultimate Polish.

Then please follow that with some sort of wax to make future bug removal easier, and do it on a regular basis before the bugs etch into the surface. A rinseless (spray) or waterless wash can also be found locally and will make it easier to accomplish the bug cleaning.

When it comes to love bugs there is no such thing as easy removal, you have to live down here in the deep south to understand. I have wg 3.0 with two coats fuzion just applied, drove it over the weekend got splattered and it took a while with Poor Boys Spray and Wipe. And that was a soon as I got home. In the Florida sun they bake on immediately. The other thing is they will permanently etch clear coats in about 48-72 hours, no amount of buffing will help then. Been down here for 32 years. They come out in spring and late summer. It sucks! You have to be really diligent or basically sacrifice your vehicles finish, you should see some of the cars I see in parking lots. BMW's, Benz's etc totally ruined.
    This was after a 20 minute drive, you have to use a razor blade scraper to get them off your windshield. They just came out last week. I basically leave my weekend car in the garage for the couple weeks they are around and drive my DD. They are worse on small country roads as they come out on the roadways because of the heat. They bake on like freaking epoxy!
    2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cleanfreak0419 View Post
    that's exactly what happened mate.

Fortunately, it was only the front of my car that was damaged.
    Yeah, her situation was way worse. Lucky you! Bad for her!
    Back to the full-time grind.

Post Thanks / Like
    For future reference, let's keep the kitchen sponges where the name indicates they belong... in the kitchen...

Happy to hear it turned out okay.
    2013 Honda Accord Touring - Crystal Black Pearl/Black

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12