autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Novice getting his feet wet

So I have been doing a lot of researching as of late, and I am ready for a purchase. I just wanted everyone take of my plan and any advice.

GG6
    GG3- thinking it will make things a little easier for me but not fully sold on it.
    M105
    M205
    going to stick with 6" (6.5) pads as of now looking at LC or Hex logic
    2 orange, 2 white, 2 red
    if I get the GG3 not just what pads
    Wax I have some mothers left over but looking at Adams maybe for next go around.

Thinking about a foam sprayer as well dont see many reviews if these things last at all or not.

Ive watched a ton of videos online including Junkman (love that guys videos) going to play around on the familys truck to familiarize myself with the DA, than try it on my car, i have been doing detailing on the side for a little extra cash, so i think now is a good time to get a DA.

Thanks for all the info!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Novice getting his feet wet

You need to watch my 2-bucket wash videos if you have any questions about the validity of the foam gun. It is the single most important thing that you can use to prevent continuos damage to your paint. It's not a question of if you should buy it, it should be one of the first things you buy.

As for the other items on your list, you definitely need to watch my machine polishing for novices videos. That will cut your list down and you will only end up buying what you actually need. I spell out what you need in detail, some of which can be bought here.

As for wax, you don't need anything overpriced. Collinite makes a great carnuba paste wax and Hi-Temp makes a great sealant. Furthermore, both companies actually MANUFACTURE what the sell. Not all companies can say that.

Looks like you have some more video watching to do.
    "Marines - Making the other guy die for his country for over 200 years."

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Legacykid View Post
    So I have been doing a lot of researching as of late, and I am ready for a purchase. I just wanted everyone take of my plan and any advice.

GG6
    GG3- thinking it will make things a little easier for me but not fully sold on it.
    M105
    M205
    going to stick with 6" (6.5) pads as of now looking at LC or Hex logic
    2 orange, 2 white, 2 red
    if I get the GG3 not just what pads
    Wax I have some mothers left over but looking at Adams maybe for next go around.

Thinking about a foam sprayer as well dont see many reviews if these things last at all or not.

Ive watched a ton of videos online including Junkman (love that guys videos) going to play around on the familys truck to familiarize myself with the DA, than try it on my car, i have been doing detailing on the side for a little extra cash, so i think now is a good time to get a DA.

Thanks for all the info!
    A lot of opinions here, most of it is legit. Here is mine:

1. Skip the GG 3". Get a LC 2 & 7/8" backing plate and some 3" Hydrotech pads. You will need 3" pads to polish some area on your car and the GG 3" has no power. If your new, why drop $100 on a 3" machine that has less functionality than the 6" machine your already purchasing?

2. Go to a 5" BP and 5.5" pads. The Griots can spin 6.5" pads just fine, but on most cars you will have some areas 6.5" pads can't fit. 5.5" also are a little better for correction. As for what type of pads, I recommend Buff n Shine or CG Hex Logic (they are made by B n S I believe). The LC pads work well, but don't hold up as well IME.

3. If your new to machine polishing, you may want to choose polishes that could have an easier learning curve than M105 & 205. Optimum makes great polishes that are pretty cheap and are easy to use. They use the same SMAT technology as M polishes. Wolfgang and Menzerna are also very good.

Post Thanks / Like

+1 on the suggestions made by Swanicyouth

In addition:

The 5.5" pads will also save you money as they are less expensive so you'll save about $15 on every 5 or 6 pack you purchase.

You'll need more pads than you mentioned. IMO at least 4 pads to compound, 4 to polish and a couple for finishing or applying LSPs. If you read through allot of posts by beginners to machine polishing you'll find one of the most common areas causing problems is trying to do an entire car with one or two pads. The Buff & Shine pads are great and hold up very well. They also have a recessed velcro which I've found to be helpful when working around protruding objects like mirrors etc.

There are a allot of pro detailers who feel the foam gun is not necessary, but that a good rinse with a pressure washer is almost mandatory before washing to remove any grit or heavy dirt.

The Optimum polishes are much more forgiving for those new to machine polishing.

If you really want a second polisher with a 3 or 4" backing plate and pad mounted take a look at the Harbor Freight DA for $50. Has allot of power unlike the GG 3" You can always get this later on if you feel the need.

Post Thanks / Like

First off, WELCOME to the forum!

I just got 5.5 inch pads. My PC 7424 XP has a little difficulty spinning the bigger pads. (Maybe it's me). Being a novice, I thought bigger pads would speed up the process. My only regret is I haven't had time to use them yet in order to tell any difference.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks all for feedback, ive been watching videos and reading up more so this weekend.

Junkman!!! your videos kill me, keep doing your thing!

Post Thanks / Like

Would agree on not getting the GG3. If you are going to get the GG6, just get a compatible 3 or 3.5 inch backing plate that you can interchange.
    2016 Accord EXL V6 w/Navi & Sensing - Black/Ivory
    2019 Acura RDX A-Spec - Black/Red; 2019 Acura TLX Base 2.4L - MSM/Black
    2008 CRV EX - Black/Black 2003 Accord EX V6 - Black/Tan

Post Thanks / Like

I understand the M105/205 are great products and universally liked, but for a novice, why not go with UC and UP?

I've used both with great success. They are easy to work with and don't seem to have the learning curve the pros mention 105/205 products have. I don't think I'll move to the pro products until I'm more confident in my abilities.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    ... They are easy to work with and don't seem to have the learning curve the pros mention 105/205 products have.
    What learning curve???
    "Marines - Making the other guy die for his country for over 200 years."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ski2 View Post
    IMO at least 4 pads to compound, 4 to polish and a couple for finishing or applying LSPs.
    Is it wrong that I put sealant and wax on by hand, and not by machine after buffing and cleaning?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast