autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

How to remove "trim" and clean adhesive underneath?

Hello everyone! I have a 1993 Toyota Pickup The person who owned it before me put on those strange chrome panels attached to the lower side of the doors, fenders.

Here's some pictures to get an idea.

http://i.imgur.com/rJCCWF5.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/QdzKh83.jpg

Just behind my rear wheel arch it's starting to separate and it seems to just be "glued" on. I'm not a big fan of all the chrome and I wanted to remove it. But I didn't want to to just rip it off and damage the paint or not be able to clean off the adhesive underneath.

Does anyone have any trick/tips for removing the chrome and cleaning it up afterwards? Any products you can recommend? I can get closer/better pictures if needed.

Thanks in advance!

Post Thanks / Like
    usually that kind of add on trim is stuck on with stuff like this

but the whole trim panel will done with it . the longer it's been on the harder it is to remove . I've done my fair share of smaller strips but each of them panels will be solid of that double sides tape more than likely . u could try to heat/warm it up with a hair dryer or heat gun and then just try to rip/peel it off . some or most of the tape will prob stay stuck to the truck . the hard part is removing that . time consuming . get as much off as u can by hand - rubbing it, u will get blisters on u fingers . then maybe try to soak it with goo gone / goof off or even a adhesive remover .

be careful but can use a plastic razor blade to help . I've never had to remove anything with that 3m tape on it that big though . get u self one or some of these
    It's to remove this kinda stuff and others . there are other brands out there and I've even seen wider - bigger wheels for them big jobs like u would have .
    thats my suggestion .

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: How to remove "trim" and clean adhesive underneath?

Quote Originally Posted by poweraid View Post
    usually that kind of add on trim is stuck on with stuff like this

but the whole trim panel will done with it . the longer it's been on the harder it is to remove . I've done my fair share of smaller strips but each of them panels will be solid of that double sides tape more than likely . u could try to heat/warm it up with a hair dryer or heat gun and then just try to rip/peel it off . some or most of the tape will prob stay stuck to the truck . the hard part is removing that . time consuming . get as much off as u can by hand - rubbing it, u will get blisters on u fingers . then maybe try to soak it with goo gone / goof off or even a adhesive remover .

be careful but can use a plastic razor blade to help . I've never had to remove anything with that 3m tape on it that big though . get u self one or some of these
    It's to remove this kinda stuff and others . there are other brands out there and I've even seen wider - bigger wheels for them big jobs like u would have .
    thats my suggestion .
    Thank you! The removal wheel is a great idea! We have something similar at my work for removing large amounts of cured seal. I would have never even thought of that!

I'm not looking forward to the job.... but it's better than having that trim on there.

Post Thanks / Like
    one of my older trucks I use to have had this stuff on it - ss rocker panel trim . instead of trying to remove it , I just taped off and sprayed bed liner coating over it . my most recent truck had it on it too , I wanted to rid of some of the bling but did not want to remove it so I plastidipped over it .

just other alternatives if u don't want to try to remove it .

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by poweraid View Post
    one of my older trucks I use to have had this stuff on it - ss rocker panel trim . instead of trying to remove it , I just taped off and sprayed bed liner coating over it . my most recent truck had it on it too , I wanted to rid of some of the bling but did not want to remove it so I plastidipped over it .

just other alternatives if u don't want to try to remove it .
    Not a bad idea. The fitment on it isn't that great to begin with. I'm thinking I'm better off just removing it.

Post Thanks / Like

A heat gun will soften the adhesives, a hair dryer will not likely get hot enough. I agree with the plastic razor or a plastic putty knife to get behind the panel and pry it.

The adhesive will also soften with heat and you may be able to scrape that off as well. I recently removed the badges from a 2007 Tundra with this method. Try calling a local body shop and find out which solvent they use for adhesive removal 'cause they do it all the time.
    Rick......(Spelled with a "D" )

Post Thanks / Like
    A process I've used on plastic emblems is using fishing line, starting at one end and pull it along behind the emblem to get it off in one piece. It's kind of like flossing your teeth.Then you have to deal with the adhesive, chemicals, plastic scrapers, and heat.
    I've never tried it on trim like yours but it may be worth a shot.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MPBGT View Post
    A process I've used on plastic emblems is using fishing line, starting at one end and pull it along behind the emblem to get it off in one piece. It's kind of like flossing your teeth.Then you have to deal with the adhesive, chemicals, plastic scrapers, and heat.
    I've never tried it on trim like yours but it may be worth a shot.
    +1 fishing line and a heat gun will make short work of it.
    Semper Fi
    Ralph