autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm subscribed due to curosity and also if you could share with the group his other Beemers, sounds like he's great taste! Does he have a Laguna Seca Blue E46 M3?

Sent from my SPH-M930 using AG Online
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

Post Thanks / Like
    I went through clear coat failure on my M Roadster. Based on the color of the damaged areas it looks like it may be that, but the pattern is odd and not typical. However, there is a spot on the spoke that looks either like clear coat failure or an anomaly in the photo.

I can tell you in 2002 BMW didn't make a lot of M Coupes, or M Roadsters for that matter. I also can tell you that the "brilliant silver" they used for those wheels looks awesome, but the finish is not durable. I'll bet you dollars to doughnuts the only fix for that wheel is a professional re-powder coat job.

Clear coat failure on BMW silver wheels shows itself by the "failed area" looking grey - not silver. Usually its sort of jagged, like a mountain top pattern. Likely if you try to hand polish it (if its cc failure) you will see the clear coat flake off in minuscule flakes and the area expand slightly, and that is a pretty sure diagnosis that's what it is.

Those wheels where finished in Germany, the car was assembled in S. Carolina. I was told at the time BMW was using a paint for those "brilliant silver" wheels that contained lead and that this paint was not available in the USA for refinishers.

Now, there is a substitute for this lead paint for the wheel refinishing industry that matches, but I'm sure it cost more than regular silver and not everyone uses it. If the owner is interested in getting the wheels refinished, you want to make sure whoever is doing the job can replicate the "brilliant silver" finish, and not just use silver - as it will detract from the uniqueness and appearance of the vehicle.

Post Thanks / Like
    2000 M coupes and roadsters had the E46 M3 engine (333 hp compared to the previous 240 hp E36 engine) and they must pull hard, being in a smaller car!

Sent from my SPH-M930 using AG Online
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Trouble Shooting BMW M-Coupe Wheel Defects

Hi gents,

I just wanted to offer a quick update since so many of you are interested and I feel like this is a problem that seems to be more wide-spread that I thought.

At the clients home I tried the techniques we talked about here, and with zero... ZERO... visual benefit. It was really odd.

*I spoke with the client, and told him I'm contact BMW on his behalf with images and a description. I'm not sure who, or what department to email though... but I'm really intent on getting at least the issue resolved so I can inform future clients.
    "Don't Drive Dull!"
    Carsmetic Rehabilitation Detailologist: Aesthetic Actualization

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by swanicyouth View Post
    ...I'll bet you dollars to doughnuts the only fix for that wheel is a professional re-powder coat job.

Clear coat failure on BMW silver wheels shows itself by the "failed area" looking grey - not silver
    THIS is my thought exactly... What a shame.
    "Don't Drive Dull!"
    Carsmetic Rehabilitation Detailologist: Aesthetic Actualization

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dynamic_Detailing View Post
    THIS is my thought exactly... What a shame.
    BMW won't do a thing so don't waste your time, I've been through it. Plus, that car has to be at least 11 years old. Your only chance is if the guy is in good graces with the dealer or its a recent purchase, the dealer may offer to refinish them as good will.

The problem with that is, the "re-finisher" likely will use rattle can style paint that isn't very durable. That was what happened to me. The paint was peeling again within a few months, all he does is paint over the failing clear coat.

A true fix is a re-powder coat. When its all said and done, that's about $1000. I use Wheel Collision Center in Bethlehem PA and I would strongly recommend them if he goes this route.

You can ship wheels there and they have been doing this for 30 years - its all they do. They have done probably 10 wheels for me and I've never had any issue what so ever. The finish they apply will look new and be truly permanent.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with the Pa. hand.
    VT
    Quote Originally Posted by glen e View Post
    ....It's all I use these days....they are buffing when I'm relaxing...and still don't get the powder out of canines!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12