autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Microfiber polishing pads

Ok, ive a wealth of knowledge and experience polishing with foam pads.

Last night I tried to use some cutting and polishing pads. I could not get them to work right.

Under any pressure the fibers just laid down and formed this big flat shiny matted down surface. Is that the surface youre supposed to polish with?? Im sure it shouldn't be like that. Im sure the fibers should remain fluffed and free and not matted down in one contimuous surface. Maybe Im wrong.

I tried several times to fluff them with the pad cleaning brush, and even did a full clean with water and pad cleaner soap, and still, no luck.

What am I doing wrong? I cannot seem to pull off a pad/polish/speed/pressure combo to get a flawless finish on this 35th anniversary Camaro I am working on. Ive blasted through all the swirls that were present, and now am just instilling small hairline scratches no matter how light or how slow I run my buffer.

Sort of perplexed.
    Clarity Auto Detailing
    Houston, TX

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Microfiber polishing pads

Ok well that will get matted down after one section pass but they are working.

You need to be sure you are cleaning them after every section and not panel. They are best cleaned with compressed air over the conditioning brush.

Working at a speed no more than 4 on any DA you will do a normal 6 section passes. Make sure then pad is rotating at all times. Once you do that section blow it out. When reapplying product less is more so very small 3-4 pea sized drops. Make sure you are changing you pads often as heat will kill them and cause them to fail.

When your working with the cutting pad you will see a light haze and this is good. You will then need to remove the haze with a polish or the finishing pads and the finishing wax. I tend to go with a foam pad and polish though.
    Official Detailing Team Member of Air Force One
    Flex 3401 / Flex PE8 / Rupes 21 / G110v2 / GG6" / Rupes 75E / GG3"
    Click and Like my Facebook Page

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Evan.J View Post
    Ok well that will get matted down after one section pass but they are working.

You need to be sure you are cleaning them after every section and not panel. They are best cleaned with compressed air over the conditioning brush.

Working at a speed no more than 4 on any DA you will do a normal 6 section passes. Make sure then pad is rotating at all times. Once you do that section blow it out. When reapplying product less is more so very small 3-4 pea sized drops. Make sure you are changing you pads often as heat will kill them and cause them to fail.

When your working with the cutting pad you will see a light haze and this is good. You will then need to remove the haze with a polish or the finishing pads and the finishing wax. I tend to go with a foam pad and polish though.

So that big flat matted down mass that seems like it would mar the hell out of paint....is actually what youre looking for? That big shiny almost crusty surface of matted down fibers?? Really?
    Clarity Auto Detailing
    Houston, TX

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by casvg5 View Post
    So that big flat matted down mass that seems like it would mar the hell out of paint....is actually what youre looking for? That big shiny almost crusty surface of matted down fibers?? Really?
    Yes thats how it should look after one section.

Think about it how would those fibers stay fluffed up while polishing and applying downward pressure? They can't but just make sure you are cleaning the pads after every section.

Post Thanks / Like

here is the video
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhJYFLgIjhE]Meguiars Microfiber DA Correction System - YouTube[/video]

Post Thanks / Like

MF pads dont like any pressure and slower speed 4/3 finish better.

Post Thanks / Like

Which compound or polish were you using. Some people have reported that certain products don't work as well with MF pads.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by anonymoususer View Post
    Which compound or polish were you using. Some people have reported that certain products don't work as well with MF pads.

Chemical guys V36. Just turned into glue
    Clarity Auto Detailing
    Houston, TX

Post Thanks / Like

Used compressed air after each section. No exceptions. You need about 2-3 oscillations per second to get the best cut. Mark your bp if you haven't already. I get the best results around speed 4 on my griots. 5 if I'm edging and using pressure to remove a heavier defect. 2-3 med/heavy passes and 2-3 light quick passes. Prime the pad with 6-8 pea sized drops and then only 2-3 pea sized drops after that.

Never use a wet pad. It will lose all effectiveness and also overheat and possibly delaminate. Keep them very dry.

I spray them off with water and clean them with my extractor when I'm finished.

Give these pads a chance. They are the future of detailing.
    Jeremy Wayne

Post Thanks / Like

I'd like to add that I hated these pads with a passion at first. I'm now getting unreal results in waaaaaaaaaay less time!
    Jeremy Wayne

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast