autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Painting cars

Post Thanks / Like

Painting cars

I just watched a few videos on youtube about the full preparing and painting of cars.

One of the videos I watched had the guy explain that this job he was showing us was for a dealer and the dealer did not pay very much so he would cut corners to save time and money. Basically he had to re-paint the Hood. What I don't understand is that he sanded the problem areas. Took him about 2 minutes. Doing the rest of the Hood would have probably taken him an other 5 minutes... but he did not because this was for a dealership and since he did not pay very much he would cut corners... geez the explanation took longer than what it would have taken him to sand the entire Hood

Every step was the same story, I could do this but it's for a dealership...

It got me wondering if every paint shop had that mentality of willingly do a bad job because they did not think the money was Worth it. From what I understand he was getting paid 200$ to do the Hood and it took him about 3 hours. Doing a proper job would probably have taken him 30 more minutes... is it me or is that crazy?

Anyway, I found it really interesting nonetheless. I think understanding the entire painting process is a plus when it comes to knowing paint. I will most likelly Watch a few more videos, I hope all the other guys won't be this way though.

I also watched a guy paint a car pannel with a roller and rustholeum (sp?)... my question is: WHY? Why not use car paint, his process looked very similar to what other painters are doing with car paint... is there something about Rustholeum that I should know?

Really makes me want to paint a car now... damn!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Painting cars

Oh almost forgot. One of the videos I watched was about painting steel rims. They used a kind of spinning assembly that would make the rim spin while they were painting. It looked so easy with that thing! Do any of you offer this service? From what I understand having wheels painted is super expensive. The materials are not expensive so what people are paying for is time. Seems like a very nice option to offer.

Post Thanks / Like

Wheel painting is labor intensive.

As far as reprinting on a scuffed panel it can be done. Obviously a higher end paint job will not go this route. A good condition factory paint makes a pretty solid base for a new layer of color.

Many repair shops will not completely strip a hood for example but rather use a blend technique. You can always pay for more labor or prep the panel for the painter.

I've never seen a detailer offer painting service s to clients. Maybe touch up road rash at best but not repaint panels.
    Semper Fi
    Ralph

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Calendyr View Post
    I just watched a few videos on youtube about the full preparing and painting of cars.

One of the videos I watched had the guy explain that this job he was showing us was for a dealer and the dealer did not pay very much so he would cut corners to save time and money. Basically he had to re-paint the Hood. What I don't understand is that he sanded the problem areas. Took him about 2 minutes. Doing the rest of the Hood would have probably taken him an other 5 minutes... but he did not because this was for a dealership and since he did not pay very much he would cut corners... geez the explanation took longer than what it would have taken him to sand the entire Hood

Every step was the same story, I could do this but it's for a dealership...

It got me wondering if every paint shop had that mentality of willingly do a bad job because they did not think the money was Worth it. From what I understand he was getting paid 200$ to do the Hood and it took him about 3 hours. Doing a proper job would probably have taken him 30 more minutes... is it me or is that crazy?

Anyway, I found it really interesting nonetheless. I think understanding the entire painting process is a plus when it comes to knowing paint. I will most likelly Watch a few more videos, I hope all the other guys won't be this way though.

I also watched a guy paint a car pannel with a roller and rustholeum (sp?)... my question is: WHY? Why not use car paint, his process looked very similar to what other painters are doing with car paint... is there something about Rustholeum that I should know?

Really makes me want to paint a car now... damn!
    http://www.rickwrench.com/index79mas...llarpaint.html
    Is it something like this you saw?

Painting is rely satisfying, and you rely see the result that YOU are doing. :-)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rmagnus View Post
    I've never seen a detailer offer painting service s to clients. Maybe touch up road rash at best but not repaint panels.
    I know you can do both (me as well) but it's a pain in the ass doing paint/body if your shop isn't set up for it. When I was painting everyday... I'd buy 5 gallons of reducers and thinner at a time. Same for sandpaper by the sleeve and masking tape by the case. Always had gallons of primer, prep-sol, plastic filler, clear and hardners on the shelf.

Painting a panel here and there you don't need all that stuff in bulk but just buying what you need to get the job done is expensive. It makes it hard to compete with a paint/bodyshop price wise especially the shops with a mixing station. Then everything needs to be cut and buffed from not having a decent paint booth. It's just harder doing a little here a little there, it is for me anyway.
    Second Best One Legged Detailer in The World... That top slot is unattainable

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RedXray View Post
    I know you can do both (me as well) but it's a pain in the ass doing paint/body if your shop isn't set up for it. When I was painting everyday... I'd buy 5 gallons of reducers and thinner at a time. Same for sandpaper by the sleeve and masking tape by the case. Always had gallons of primer, prep-sol, plastic filler, clear and hardners on the shelf.

Painting a panel here and there you don't need all that stuff in bulk but just buying what you need to get the job done is expensive. It makes it hard to compete with a paint/bodyshop price wise especially the shops with a mixing station. Then everything needs to be cut and buffed from not having a decent paint booth. It's just harder doing a little here a little there, it is for me anyway.
    LOL I was thinking about you when I made that post. You were the exception. I stopped painting for health reasons. Without paint booth and fresh air system it's just not worth it. Even then you're always around that fresh paint smell. The new waterborn stuff is just as dangerous as urethanes maybe more so because I hear your skin can absorb it faster because the medium is water. I have limited expierence with the water stuff as it was just coming to market when I stopped. I've used Createx in my airbrushes but it's the clear that will kill ya.

I totally agree with you.

Off topic we just were in a car accident, rear ended. My insurance company is handling the repair but I'm tempted to reclaim the damaged bumper, repair and repaint it for the expierence. I've never done a full car plastic bumper before, looks interesting. Might just repair and prime it then resell as a reconditioned bumper.
    Semper Fi
    Ralph

Post Thanks / Like
    Anytime I needed painting done on a vehicle I care about, I always tell them I want a first class job and will pay for it.

Money talks. Most people don't care about their cars, so of course they will take shortcuts. Don't be afraid to ask and expect first class work. Just be aware you will have to pay more for it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stampe View Post
    Rickwrench, Alfa GTV, Falcon Squire, Corvair
    Is it something like this you saw?

Painting is rely satisfying, and you rely see the result that YOU are doing. :-)
    Yes pretty much, the guy only did 1 pannel in the video though.

Ok this review has a lot more détails, so it's a matter of cost and ease of application. Got it. Results look ok. I would have put a clear coat on top of it though... unless it can't be done outside?

I would not be interested in painting cars. The prep work would kill me Seems you have to take 10 times more time to prepare the car for painting than actually painting.
    Wheel are different. I can't find that video, I came upon it looking at other things so I don't know what to search for, all the keywords I tried are not finding it ;(

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Calendyr View Post
    I would not be interested in painting cars. The prep work would kill me Seems you have to take 10 times more time to prepare the car for painting than actually painting.
    ;(
    I have never painted professionally, but I was trained by a very accomplished professional. The prep work is indeed much more time consuming than shooting the paint, but just like detailing, it's all about the prep and details up front.

What I enjoy about painting is that when you have done everything well and not cut corners, the application of the color and clearcoats are extremely gratifying as you get immediate visual feedback and the beauty happens right before your eyes.

You also are in control of how thick the coatings are and have confidence down the road that you'll be able to cut and polish safely since you know there will less chance of burning through too thin of a clearcoat.

Post Thanks / Like

It's not because it was for a "dealership" it was because he was getting paid warranty time instead of customer pay time most likely.

The manufacturers keep cutting warranty time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast