autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

New Car - First Wax Questions.

Hi,

I just bought a new car (2014), and I'm not sure what steps to take to protect the paint. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

The paint is black and it is water based, and a lot of people complain that this particular car has weak paint. The paint is in great condition at the moment though, and there is no swirling or scratches. However, my car can not be garaged and I live in Canada so that means snow and salt in the winter

My plan is to wash the car with Meguiars gold class car wash, and clean the rims and tires and dry it.

Then I will claybar it with meguiars smooth surface clay kit.

I was wondering if polishing the car is necessary though. The paint already looks pretty good, and I think that there is no need to use abrasive paint cleaners. If you guys think its necessary, I will have to polish the car by hand (no rotary), and any recommendations on products and techniques to use would be great.

Lastly, I am going to wax the car. I wanted to get my hands on some collinite 915 or p21s wax but none of my local stores seem to have it. I'm in a bit of a rush so I was wondering if you could recommend some substitutes. Ideally the protection would last around 6 months.

Lastly for quick touch ups for bugs and road tar, what should I use?

Thanks for your time!

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Because it ia a new car my choise it will be:
    A Glaze No 7 from Meguiars and a sealent like Sintetic sealent 2.0 from Meguiars.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Post Thanks / Like

Re: New Car - First Wax Questions.

This article by Mike Phillips helped me tremendously when trying to figure out what to do with my new car to help protect the paint:

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...-phillips.html

I started with the "baggie test" and then did the following (paint was in good shape):

1. 2 bucket wash with microfiber mitt and Blackfire Wet Diamond shampoo
    2. clayed the car with Megs clay kit (easier than I thought
    3. Blackfire gloss enhancing polish
    4. Blackfire Wet Diamond all finish paint protection (2 layers)
    5. Blackfire Crystal seal
    6. Blackfire Total Eclipse tire shine
    then cleaned the interior and sealed with Ultima Interior Guard Plus
    7. Sonax glass cleaner on inside and exterior

New microfiber towels of various kinds used to apply/remove products/dry) I did this all by hand. As to the bug/tar stuff, I haven't had any tar, but for bugs, I spray some QD over the paint and on a MF towel, then gently wipe it off. I do it as soon as I notice them. So far, so good. I'm a complete newbie to this stuff, so just sharing what I did. There are many great products out there, so your choices in products will most likely vary depending on your needs. Have fun with your new ride!

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the replies, they were helpful. The guide you linked is also very nice.

I think i'll avoid using Iron X and go right to the clay bar though. So the next step is correcting with polishes and or compounds. These include glaze 7 and the blackfire products.

I don't think I can get my hands on blackfire's stuff soon so I may try glaze 7. Other options would be Deep Crystal 1 and 2 or ultimate polish? And can these be used by hand, or is it pointless.

Then after I would like to use a wax rather then a sealant.

Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitch Master T View Post
    Thanks for the replies, they were helpful. The guide you linked is also very nice.

I think i'll avoid using Iron X and go right to the clay bar though. So the next step is correcting with polishes and or compounds. These include glaze 7 and the blackfire products.

I don't think I can get my hands on blackfire's stuff soon so I may try glaze 7. Other options would be Deep Crystal 1 and 2 or ultimate polish? And can these be used by hand, or is it pointless.

Then after I would like to use a wax rather then a sealant.

Thanks.
    Glaze 7 has no abrasives, it is a pure polish that will hide any imperfections but the results are just temporary. It will last a few days, possibly up to a week, ultimate polish might be a better choice. As for a good wax that's widely available, I like meguiars ultimate wax, it's a synthetic wax with pretty good durability. If you are looking for a carnauba that's widely available, try meguiars gold class.
    2009 BMW 328xi Coupe- Jet Black

Post Thanks / Like

If the paint is in good shape and you need something durable to last the winter, I'd recommend the Klasse twins...All-In-One, and Sealant Glaze. AIO goes on first followed by SG. I'm not sure what the Canadian availability is like, but it seems to be available almost anywhere.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd rather not use an abrasive polish. Glaze 7 seems like a good choice after reading up on it. So all I need to do is wash claybar glaze 7 by hand and then wax right?

Post Thanks / Like
    my choice , which I just got 2 new vehicles myself - a coating is the best & longest protection . you said u new car is in pretty much defect free - keep it that way with a coating . sure u can scratch and swirl up the coating over time but when it comes down to correcting it u wont be touching u paint hardly . save your cc . uself in Canada and myself in Wisconsin , u bet snow and road salt . opticoat , cquartz uk , dp , and a host of other brands .

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch Master T View Post
    I'd rather not use an abrasive polish. Glaze 7 seems like a good choice after reading up on it. So all I need to do is wash claybar glaze 7 by hand and then wax right?

Well, it seems like you already know what you want to do.

Check for marring after claybar, if your car is black with solf clear im sure it will marr a bit, THEN you need to polish anyway, so might as well plan on it.
    2012 Crystal Black Pearl Acura TL
    2013 Pearl White Nissan Altima

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the heads up on marring the paint.
    I'm going to give it a go tomorrow and I'll post some pics when I'm done.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast