autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: New Car - First Wax Questions.

I'm nosey...what kinda car did ya get?

Bill
    In dog beers, I've only had one.

Post Thanks / Like

You seems to have made up your mind already so I am not sure why you are asking.

But if it were my car, here are the steps I would take:

1. Wash it using 2 bucket method after a power rinse and a snow foam coat and rinse.

2. Clay it using fine grade nanoskin sponge or mitt. You can also use clay but that takes longer... up to you.

3. Remove any defects in the paint using either a compound if you have holograms of deep scratches or swirls OR a polish if you don't.

4. Assuming you had heavy defects (most new cars do), follow by a polish to bring out the gloss after the compound.

5. Apply a coating like Opti-Coat 2.0 for protection that will last for years. Opti-Coat is a permanent protection, if you take care of the car your paint will have the best protection it can possibly have.

6. You can maintain the car with spray waxes or waxes afterwards if you like.

Post Thanks / Like

If I purchased a new car I would make it swirl free, if it isn't already, have a clear bra applied to the front end areas and put a coating on it. I wouldn't seal it or wax it a couple times a year. I'd like to get it as perfect as possible and protect and maintain that as long as possible.
    2010 Honda Civic LX-S Crystal Black Pearl

Post Thanks / Like

Very similar to Calendyr but the method I would recommend is:

1) Wash
    2) Iron-x it
    3) Nanoskin Auto Scrub with fine pad
    4) Polish with a fine grade polish that leaves little to no reside when wiped. This does two things, super cleans the paint and does a light correction job on scratches or any other defects. I've had great success with Gtechniq P2 and have read Optimum Finish Polish is similar.
    5) Give the paint a 15% IPA wipe (and distilled water) or you can buy a custom formula like Gtechniq Panel Wipe that does evaporate very slowly and does a great job cleaning.
    6) Opti-coat 2.0 (on a warm day between 65degrees and 85 degrees but be aware the warmer the quicker the flashing)
    7) Don't drive the car for 48 hrs, then wipe with a microfiber and a distilled water mist to clean any dust off
    8) Then apply a second coating of Opti-coat 2.0., contrary to popular belief you can layer Opti-Coat 2.0 but it has to be with in a certain time window after 12 hrs and before 30 days.

I would even consider after 30 days (you have to let Opti-Coat breathe to let all water out of the formula for it to become super hard) applying a sacrificial layer of Klasse or Collinite for winter.

Post Thanks / Like

Also I wish i could go back and do it right the first time. Many people have suggested coating your car, and I could not have agreed more. My paint is on the soft side and after a year of PROPPER maintenance I still have very fine scratches. Applying a coating will greatly minimize the chances of that happening since they are harder then most clear coats. Also maintainig your car and keeping it clean will be much easier.

Just something to consider...
    2012 Crystal Black Pearl Acura TL
    2013 Pearl White Nissan Altima

Post Thanks / Like

Your #7 and wax combo won't last past two weeks my friend. At leaste get collinite 845.....don't use the #7. It's a glaze which means no added protection.

Better yet get some 22ple VX1 Pro Glass Coating. It's as easy as waxing a car and the results speak for themselves. I'd get the smallest bottle since it requires so little per car.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah I agree, the #7 won't last. I'd go with the Klasse twins especially since your doing it by hand. Or with Collinite.

PS: Polishing by hand = insanity. Waste of time.
    2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12