autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Masking Tape

Post Thanks / Like

Masking Tape

Is all Painters Masking Tape the same or is there different masking tape for automotive finishes than household painter's tape? I have several rolls of 3M medium adhesion painter's tape for house paint but I don't want to put it on a vehicle if it will react with the finish, if that makes sense.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Masking Tape

It's not going to react with the finish, the issue is more how easy it is to get the tape off and how much residue it leaves. Many times when we are polishing the car is outside and the heat is not good with the house painter's tape.

AG sells the 3M 233+ which is an automotive masking tape (I believe for body shops, etc.), you can find it on the 3M page...some of the widths are called 233+ and some are called Premium Automotive Masking Tape, but I think they are the same.

They also used to sell the Meguiar's detailing masking tape, but that has been discontinued, and they only have the wider widths left: Meguiars Professional Masking Tape, auto masking tape, car masking tape

EDIT: back to your question, yes you can use the blue tape, just be careful how long you leave it on and how hot the surface is, and be aware there may be some residue.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    It's not going to react with the finish, the issue is more how easy it is to get the tape off and how much residue it leaves. Many times when we are polishing the car is outside and the heat is not good with the house painter's tape.

AG sells the 3M 233+ which is an automotive masking tape (I believe for body shops, etc.), you can find it on the 3M page...some of the widths are called 233+ and some are called Premium Automotive Masking Tape, but I think they are the same.

They also used to sell the Meguiar's detailing masking tape, but that has been discontinued, and they only have the wider widths left: Meguiars Professional Masking Tape, auto masking tape, car masking tape

EDIT: back to your question, yes you can use the blue tape, just be careful how long you leave it on and how hot the surface is, and be aware there may be some residue.
    Thank you SETEC, I will get some automotive masking tape.
    Last edited by birdog; 08-29-2013 at 09:05 PM. Reason: misspelled SETEC

Post Thanks / Like
    You want to use tape that is made for painted automotive surfaces. 3M offers at least three different "regular" automotive tapes (tan, yellow, and green).

They also make a sky blue waterproof tape (Scotch 3434) that's sold in the UK. I bought some off eBay and, while its nice tape, it isn't nearly as flexible as what's sold here.

Additionally, 3M makes a vinyl fineline tape (471+) that is really flexible and great for edges and body lines. I've seen it as thin as 1/8" all the way up to 3/4".

A brand called FBS also offers a number of different automotive masking tapes, one of which is sold by Griot's Garage.

Finally, Meguiar's used to offer masking tape under their brand name, but it was recently discontinued.
    2013 Honda Accord Touring - Crystal Black Pearl/Black

Post Thanks / Like

Where I need a fine application of a tape, I use TAMIYA's masking tape.
    It's sold for plastic model kits so it suits for small, fine application.

Not only that, the adhesive is super mild so it can stay on car paint for days yet leaving zero residue (unless baked by sun, I think).

Post Thanks / Like

I've been using the 3m blue tape for years. I won't use the ones with edge blocker cause they have a chemicals in them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by erichaley View Post
    Finally, Meguiar's used to offer masking tape under their brand name, but it was recently discontinued.
    Probably since 3M acquired Meguiar's, but then again, who knows. I've used 3M Blue painters (in multiple widths) but next time I buy I'll probably get the green automotive (for no other reason than it is for automotive). I've had no ill effects from the painters tape but I did notice that trim coated with CarPro DLux, the Blue painter's will not adhere. Don't know if it would be the same for all tape or all coatings, but I figured it was worth mentioning.

One thing that is definitely on my next order will be the 3M vinyl tape that's offered in 1/4 and 1/8 inch. For those that have used, which size do you find reaching for most often?

Post Thanks / Like
    1/4" for sure, but 3/4" is good to have on hand as its extremely versatile.
    2013 Honda Accord Touring - Crystal Black Pearl/Black

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pureshine View Post
    I've been using the 3m blue tape for years. I won't use the ones with edge blocker cause they have a chemicals in them.
    Good point!

Bill

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Radarryan View Post
    Probably since 3M acquired Meguiar's, but then again, who knows.
    No, Meg's started selling that tape AFTER they got bought by 3M, but I guess it wasn't moving so they discontinued it.

Quote Originally Posted by Radarryan View Post
    One thing that is definitely on my next order will be the 3M vinyl tape that's offered in 1/4 and 1/8 inch. For those that have used, which size do you find reaching for most often?
    1/8" is really too small for a car, IMO. I only have 1/4 and I only use it for things like taping around headlights, and you still need to flank it with regular tape.

EDIT: Oh, I see...they are talking about using the 1/8" as a visual cue more than for masking...I've only used 1/4", for tight corners.