autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

What made you start detailing?

Thought it would be interesting to know how everyone got started detailing (for a living that is) ? I have owned a small Landscaping company for a couple years now and have always had a passion for detailing so my trucks and equipment are in tip top shape. I have not started detailing for a living myself yet only bc I would like to learn so much more before I advertise my services. Being a 20 year old entrepreneur has giving me alot of knowledge for my age! I would like to Thank you all for inspiring me!! Many people don't realize what it takes to make a car shine the right way. Thanks and cant wait to hear your stories!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: What made you start detailing?

Bought my first newer car, a honda, and realized it has really soft paint and so I researched how to wash it properly, then waxing and it kept leading to more and more research, new information and eventually my own part time business.
    2010 Honda Civic LX-S Crystal Black Pearl

Post Thanks / Like

My passion for nice cars and my OCD

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I traded in my silver car for a black car.

Post Thanks / Like
    I was sixteen and had bought my first car a red 1993 Pontiac Le Mans the paint was all faded and my neighbor told me that with some wax it would be red again. Off to Walmart I went and bought some turtle wax (I was sixteen and not educated in products) sure enough it was red again. That is why I have the bug now!

Post Thanks / Like

A while back I moved my family across the country from Oregon to Texas. Rather than transport my car (would have spent more than it was worth shipping it) I bought what I could afford when we hit the ground in Houston. This ended up being a 19XX Explorer previously owned by a contractor. The thing was a wreck when I picked it up.

Having no personal belongings and living out of a hotel I took my new-to-me ride to a local "express detail" type place. I opted for the middle option... I believe it was under $75. Now, for that price I obviously wasn't expecting perfection... I was expecting it to at least be clean though. This is what I got for that amount of money: The car was run through a car wash, quickly vacuumed, and then LOADED UP with armor all over the ENTIRE INTERIOR. The windows were horribly streaked. The carpet still had large pieces of gravel and dirt everywhere. I was so displeased.

After that experience I knew that if I could apply my car care knowledge and passion towards other people's cars I could far surpass their expectations and deliver a service they would find great value in. A few years passed. I began doing details for family and friends. Word spread... I formed Autowerx a few years later and started doing jobs for "real customers" on the weekends.

I still only detail part time but I love it and I'm continually focused on getting better and better. It's the only thing I have ever done in my entire life in terms of work that has brought me so much satisfaction and fulfillment. The "thanks" I get in the form of tips, smiles, and handshakes from each customer just strengthens my motivation to somehow take Autowerx full time. Someday soon I will get there. Until then I will continue to strengthen my knowledge, refine my techniques, and expand my collection of products so I can deliver a world class experience to every single customer I'm lucky enough to work with.
    Nicholas Scafidi - CQuartz Finest Authorized Installer
    www.autowerxdetailing.com Auto Detailing in Sherwood, OR
    Like us on Facebook | Follow us on Twitter

Post Thanks / Like

1974 in high school I got a part time job at a large automated car wash. During the summer months I was promoted from the interior bays to be the compound, wax and interior shampoo guy. Had my own bay and did cars by appointment only. For $29.95 RedXray would sweeten up your 50's 60's or new 70's model automobile! A couple years later I was doing paint and collision work at a body shop. The detailing bug has been with me my entire adult life
    Second Best One Legged Detailer in The World... That top slot is unattainable

Post Thanks / Like

I had a '97 Lamborghini Diablo and it needed a detail. I called a local guy that came highly recommended. I was given a price of $225 for a 3 step correction and never haggled. The car came back and looked like crap, except now shiny. After that I said, I'm going to learn how to do it myself. And here I am, a geek
    John
    Mean people suck

Post Thanks / Like
    I was 10-12 years old went to work for my Dad's shop.

Next I was 21-22 and went to work for my uncles shop.

Now I am a full time college student, looking to start up his own shop.

Post Thanks / Like
    I purchased my own car two years ago and have been detailing ever since. I am a kinda guy who does everything by myself, dont really trust others to touch my car.
    AutoHeed Car Detailing Services
    +628170179017 or autoheed@gmail.com
    AutoHeed l www.autoheed.net

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast