autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Lake Country Hybrid Yellow ????

Well, it's probably my fault, but using WFG my yellow hybrid pads delaminated from the velcro, but not before shredding around the edges. Since it was my first attempt at finishing with my new 3401, I might have been doing something wrong. But I used the blue hybrid pads with WTSR just before this with no problem whatsoever.

No response from AG customer service.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclesafe View Post
    Well, it's probably my fault, but using WFG my yellow hybrid pads delaminated from the velcro, but not before shredding around the edges. Since it was my first attempt at finishing with my new 3401, I might have been doing something wrong. But I used the blue hybrid pads with WTSR just before this with no problem whatsoever.

No response from AG customer service.
    I also had one shred around the edges this weekend. I was working on the roof of a 2006 Toyota Rav4, and the pad was new when I started. I have noticed that these pads start out hard like the white or orange pads, but soften up considerably after a few sections. I was initially impressed with the yellow pad, but this recent issue has me concerned, especially since it has now been confirmed by another user...

For now I'm going to chalk it up to a bad batch.
    2013 Honda Accord Touring - Crystal Black Pearl/Black

Post Thanks / Like

I was really expecting some rave reviews and I'm a little disappointed to see what is being reported. Thanks for sharing guys your experiences guys.
    07 TBSS AWD 3SS (Black) - 09 TBSS 2WD 3SS (Silver)

Post Thanks / Like
    On the plus side, I will say that the yellow hybrid paired with Menzerna PF 2500 is a killer combo...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by erichaley View Post
    On the plus side, I will say that the yellow hybrid paired with Menzerna PF 2500 is a killer combo...
    While the pad lasts? Lol.

Post Thanks / Like
    As I think more about it, the problem may be related more to over-saturating than pad quality itself. When I did the roof panel, I did admittedly prime the pad with too much product.

I initially thought it was a bad batch because the first pad I got had no issues whatsoever. Then I ordered three more, and one pad went from new to shredded after just doing the roof panel, while another pad was still in great shape after doing half of the vehicle. In all cases I was using Menzerna PF 2500.

@Cyclesafe: how much product did you have on your pad?

Post Thanks / Like

I'm sure that Eric (Padman) or Mike Phillips will chime in at some point with some insight.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Guys, thought I would try to shed some light here. We have discussed this many times, but I thought I would mention it again. When you use a pad on a DA, you create friction to a degree. Friction creates heat. Here is where it will make more sense. If you put weight on that pad, you will create more friction, now add a chemical, and increased speed, and pressure, everything gets pushed to its limit. With the heat created, heat rises, so it goes towards the backing plate. It cant escape through the backing plate, so it starts head away from the backing plate, back towards the surface. Here is what happens: as you are polishing and creating the heat it wants to dissipate, but going through a small celld foam pad takes time. So you are creating heat and its not cooling off fast enough as you ad more from polishing. The glue is the weakest link on the pad, so when all factors are there, the glue tends to break first, causing the pad to delaminate. I have most of the machines on the market today and some machines are more abusive than others as far as a DA goes.

The other thing I want to address is foam pads. This is the best comparison I can think of. You go to the store and buy a new pair of shoes. They fit nice and snug. Now you start walking in them everyday, they get wet, bent, flexed and the shoes start to break in and become more flexible and start to break down. Same as a foam pad. Out of the bag it performs awesome, but add heat, chemicals, washing, etc, the foam starts to soften. I hope this makes some sense.

Post Thanks / Like

Tried the yellow hybrid pad w/Sonax 3/6 (machine = Flex 3401) and got the best results of any pad/polish combination to date. The finish on German silver was crazy glossy. Give it a try, don't think you'll be disappointed.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by addysdaddy View Post
    Tried the yellow hybrid pad w/Sonax 3/6 (machine = Flex 3401) and got the best results of any pad/polish combination to date. The finish on German silver was crazy glossy. Give it a try, don't think you'll be disappointed.
    Thanks for the input. Glad to hear it they worked well for you.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast