autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

First Time Collinite 485

So I finished washing and claying my car for the first time. So when I went to wax, I tried to use a really little bit of wax since I looked at previous threads and that was the most posted tip. I'm not sure if I used enough though. I heated up the bottle and shook it well so it was really liquidy. I used a red foam applicator and covered the top and turned it upside and back again so a small circle of wax was left on the appliator. I started with 4 circles on the applicator but it hardly looked like anything was going on. I reapplied wax a couple more times as I went around the car also. I was also unsure about the haze people were talking about. I didn't really see anything noticeable, but I have a white car so I'm not sure if that's the problem. Can I just use my UWW again later this week and rewax if I wasn't putting on enough or not letting it sit for long enough? Any tips would be helpful. I only have a foam applicator to use and I'm doing this in a covered garage

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: First Time Collinite 485

Post Thanks / Like

With white paint you just need to keep looking at the paint at an angle from where you apply the wax. Eventually you should develop a quick-eye and see where is is being applied.

If you were diligent in ensuring you covered all areas of the paint then you probably applied 845 properly. If there were some areas that were more "grabby than others" then another pass over the entire car using the same exact technique will be prudent. So yes, UWW and a rewax would be fine.

Post Thanks / Like
    IMO using 4 of those little circles (I do this method as well) is too much, try doing it once or twice, depending on how large the panel is, #845 really spreads out well. I know its tough to see on white but its being spread around, maybe do the car in the garage, might be easier to see if that makes any sense.

Sent from my SPH-M930 using AG Online
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Just while my car is new, I'm going to wash with UWW and try rewaxing tomorrow. Should I start on the roof with 3 bottle turn over dots on a foam applicator. Then reapply 2 more dots for each new section (hood, 4 door panels,trunk)? Also what haze am I looking for. If I wait 15 minutes after each section and buff off will that be sufficient no matter where I'm in?

Post Thanks / Like

When using 845 this is in,thinner is winner. 845 goes a long way.

A few drops on a new aplicator will get you started and you'll only need 1 drop as you move on.

If you think you don't have enough product on just "kiss" the applicator on a window and you'll be suprised on how much you do have.

Its very hard to see it "haze" on white but don't sweat it. Apply to the whole vehical and by the time you get done it will be ready to remove where you started.
    Tim
    "I have done so much with so little for so long.
    Now I can do anything with nothing"

Post Thanks / Like
    I have always applied all the Collinite products to the car and THEN remove and have had NO problems doinng this, even w/ #915. I agree about doing 2x's spots on the applicator to get started but 1 will do afterwards. The window test is a great idea but take it a step further, apply the "extra" on the applicator to the windows, makes the rain just fly off!

Sent from my SPH-M930 using AG Online
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dad07 View Post
    When using 845 this is in,thinner is winner. 845 goes a long way.

A few drops on a new aplicator will get you started and you'll only need 1 drop as you move on.

If you think you don't have enough product on just "kiss" the applicator on a window and you'll be suprised on how much you do have.

Its very hard to see it "haze" on white but don't sweat it. Apply to the whole vehical and by the time you get done it will be ready to remove where you started.
    dad's got it right.
    This is the same method I teach to 845 newbies with a high rate of success. I tell them to replace the cap with a flip-top spout and use 2 pea-size drops per average-sized panel. The "kiss the glass" thing works great for those who always think their pad is too dry.

Bill