autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Convince me to buy a foam gun

Just trying to justify buying a foam gun to use to wash my cars/clients cars.

What are the benefits of how much better a foam gun would work over how I wash cars now?

I rinse them off with water. Paying attention to the lower rockers/fenders to get as much grit off as I can. Wash with a MF mit, rinse in a separate bucket with the grit guard, and then rinse off.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Convince me to buy a foam gun

It just gives me piece of mind that I have another layer of soap between the paint and my mitt. For a heavily soiled car It is safer IMO.

If you know how to properly accomplish a 2 bucket wash, a foam gun is not always needed. With that said, I don't remember a time where I haven't used a foam gun or my foam cannon because its just FUN.

Key thing to remember is to ALWAYS give it a good rinse before applying any wash mitt to the surface. Which is where the pressure washer comes into play... but im sure you already knew that

Post Thanks / Like
    All I can say is just doit! You wont regret it.

I have one for my pressure washer, and use it religiously. It makes the process a bit quicker.

I foam the car, then let dwell and drink some coffee. Then rinse, then foam and wash. It does help with some of the stubborn dirt, just releases it easier than water alone.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using AG Online

Post Thanks / Like

Well after each wash I put my MF mitts in the washing machine to clean them out. So they are clean for the next car and I do get them nice and soapy before they touch the car. I work from top to bottom for each car as well.

Yea, seems like a big investment. I don't have a compressor or powerwasher so it would have to be a unit that attaches to a hose.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mrgto View Post
    Well after each wash I put my MF mitts in the washing machine to clean them out. So they are clean for the next car and I do get them nice and soapy before they touch the car. I work from top to bottom for each car as well.

Yea, seems like a big investment. I don't have a compressor or powerwasher so it would have to be a unit that attaches to a hose.
    I have both. A foam gun is a lot quicker than a foam cannon IMO. Obviously a foam cannon will out perform a foam gun b/c of the water pressure. Both work great though & a gun can be had a lot cheaper than a cannon.

FYI I like to mix some waterless wash with my shampoo in my foam gun/cannon. I find it clings to the paint better & has a little longer dwell time.

Super Member Corey@OptimalDetailing's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

It is simply fun. And the very first time I used mine I let it dwell for about 3-4 minutes and it softened any of the bugs/heavy soiled areas to make removal extremely easy. That and your neighbors tend to look at you a little weird.

Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't bother. I have one and rarely use it. I feel like it uses too much soap combined with my bucket for the actual wash and a bucket for wheels. Before you know it, I am using 6oz of soap to wash my car. You go through a gallon pretty quickly that way. It is fun and the neighbors like to laugh at my "foam party." I am sure it does offer an extra layer of safety, but I do a good polish in the spring and fall anyway. I am pretty safe when washing without it so the benefit doesn't outweigh the cost/gimmick. Just my opinion. In fact, I may be willing to trade it. Send me a PM if anyone is interested.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Your soap bill will go up cause you'll have too much fun with the gun and not want to turn it off

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not really fanatical about a foam gun.
    (Pressure washer equipped with "soap dispenser"/foam lance...a different story).

However...
    It's really easy for me to spend your money: Go for it?!?!

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like
    FWIW, mine stays in my storage cabinet. Just not practical for mobile detailing. Extra soap and time wasted on a client's car when I can achieve the same results with 2BM.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using AG Online
    Mike Frickman
    Owner/Operator
    On Scene Detailing

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast