autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

The use of M105 in hot weather (dusting)

(No pics of what I'm describing below) I used M105 last night here in the middle of Texas. Needless to say it was very hot (mid 90's). I worked in the garage and found myself having to constantly wipe away dust from the paint. I was using a gg 6" with the orange pad on a speed of 5. After wiping away the dust, I next used m205 to polish. The finish was great, only one problem. There was about ten flakes of what looked like dried on dust flakes. I used some quick detailer to try to get them off, but to no avail. They're stuck. To make matters worse, I applied Wolfgang paint sealant over the top of these random isolated flakes, I don't know what I was thinking. Just got in a rush to finish. I only worked on the roof, and these spots bother me. My wife even picked at one with her fingernail and couldn't get them up. Has anyone else dealt with this issue? If so, how did you solve? Also, how do I deal with the dust? It was excessive, I went through numerous towels trying to combat it. Should I do all of the m105 work, and then re-wash the vehicle?

Post Thanks / Like
    Also, any tips on getting close to the trim/tape line. About half an inch away from the trim I can still see swirls but past that the finish is swirl free. How do you get close to the trim line without pulling of the tape?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: The use of M105 in hot weather (dusting)

M105 does dust quite a bit. Keep a bottle of ipa mix handy to do a wipedown of the panel to remove oils and leftover compound. Being that you sealed the spots in with the Wolf gang you're going to have to strip it with a strong ipa mix, surface prep product, or other solvent.
    Are the spots from the 205 or 105? The 205 should have removed any left over compound from the 105.
    The 105 has a short working time too.
    When you're compounding the area after wet sanding the painted chip down be careful to not let the paint chip get too hot, It can pull the paint out you just applied

Post Thanks / Like

Pics would help greatly to determine what your mysterious flakes are.

Next time you're using #105, try adding a couple of small dots of #205 onto the pad with your pee size #105. It helps increase your work time and cuts the dust in half. But in the end, #105 is just a dusty job.

As for the tape/trim line, your pad size may be too large for your backing plate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VR8 View Post
    Pics would help greatly to determine what your mysterious flakes are.

Next time you're using #105, try adding a couple of small dots of #205 onto the pad with your pee size #105. It helps increase your work time and cuts the dust in half. But in the end, #105 is just a dusty job.

As for the tape/trim line, your pad size may be too large for your backing plate.

How about mixing 205 and 105 in the bottle? Say something like 3:1? Anyone tried that?

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Ya I would do an ipa wipe down I do it after 105 and 205 after I take the take the tape off I use the ipa to take the tape lines out

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Chill your M105 in an ice cooler, it help increase work time and reduce the dusting. Throw a few beers next to it too in case of an emergency. Seriously...

Post Thanks / Like

If it is dusting and drying before you get the results you need keep a spray bottle of water and mist the panel to finish your buffing cycle. Sometimes I will wash the car after compounding with 105. For me it's faster and looks better in the end instead of trying to wipe it all the time while I am compounding.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sharpreflection View Post
    If it is dusting and drying before you get the results you need keep a spray bottle of water and mist the panel to finish your buffing cycle. Sometimes I will wash the car after compounding with 105. For me it's faster and looks better in the end instead of trying to wipe it all the time while I am compounding.

+1 to that

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast