Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
Wow, there's a really interesting point. Was this different back in the old days when you could make a nice solventy product? Back then was it just more solvent in the liquid wax than the paste?

Now that I think of it, isn't that the story with Collinite 845? That it's just 476S with more solvent and less wax? Or does 845 have to be a water-based emulsion?
Nowdays there is more difficulty with VOCs and such but the main driving force is cost. Like it or not, detailing products are mainly bulk chemicals with fancy labels so manufacturing cost is key.

I am not sure of the collonite story. If a wax has water in it, it will have to have emulsifiers (wax is basically a fancy 'oil' and we all know that oil and water, alone, do not mix). If it has just solvent, it will probably not need. Having water is actually a modern approach in wax and where you would likely end up if your home brew wax was handed to a wax formulator. The solvent only type blends which most people brew up are really very old fashioned, it surprises me that so many actually end up as products!