autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Cant remove scratches.

I am working on a family members 2003 cadillac deville dts. black. I am able to remove swirls but a lot of scratches left behind.. they look like minor scratches, cant feel them.. for right now just trying to find a combination that works.. this is what I have tried. Anyone that is familiar with cadi paint please steer me in the right direction.. thanks..
    Usually running speed 4/1 2 or 5

tools: rupes bigfoot 21

pads: meguiars microfiber
    rupes green pad

compound: meguiars d300 then tried 101
    menzerna fg400

Post Thanks / Like
    What size pads and what is your typically working area when buffing. The reason I say this is because with microfiber pads and the da your hand movement must be slow and sometime shrinking your work size will help maintain the utmost correction.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Cant remove scratches.

Quote Originally Posted by Hockey Daily View Post
    I am working on a family members 2003 cadillac deville dts. black. I am able to remove swirls but a lot of scratches left behind.. they look like minor scratches, cant feel them.. for right now just trying to find a combination that works.. this is what I have tried. Anyone that is familiar with cadi paint please steer me in the right direction.. thanks..
    Usually running speed 4/1 2 or 5

tools: rupes bigfoot 21

pads: meguiars microfiber
    rupes green pad

compound: meguiars d300 then tried 101
    menzerna fg400
    If it won't come out with FG400 with a mf pad and a R21 you need to work on your technique. If you have a PG you could lightly wet sand and then buff.

SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post
    If it won't come out with FG400 with a mf pad and a R21 you need to work on your technique. If you have a PG you could lightly wet sand and then buff.
    Not the best advise. If the OP is having a hard time correcting, imagine what can happen if he decided to sand.

On the rupes, use your 101 but with a stiff foam pad - that is when 101 corrects the best. Take your time, don't move too fast.

Any orange, yellow cutting foam performs better with 101 than MF PADS.

Do you have any pictures?

Don't give up, paint correction is not as easy as some make it seem like. Take an 18x18 area, and work it until paint is leveled. How long did you spend on the car?

As a pro, most black cars take me way over 20 hours.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hockey Daily View Post
    . I am able to remove swirls but a lot of scratches left behind.. they look like minor scratches, cant feel them..
    Just wondering if what you are seeing after the compounding (cutting) is micro maring. Can you post some pictures?
    Semper Fi
    Ralph

Post Thanks / Like
    Rmagnus brought up a great point. Your method seems to be Avery aggressive approach. Try doing a test spot with your combination and then switching over to a finishing polish with a less aggressive foam
    Pad such as a white or LC tangerine. You could potentially be seeing marring left over from the compound.

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=tdekany;924383]Not the best advise. If the OP is having a hard time correcting, imagine what can happen if he decided to sand.

How do you know what his capabilities are? He might wet sand better than you! Just because he only has 1 post doesn't mean he doesn't have skills. Look at the products he has. Oh, and I did say if he had a paint gauge.

SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

[quote=Rsurfer;924397]
    Quote Originally Posted by tdekany View Post
    Not the best advise. If the OP is having a hard time correcting, imagine what can happen if he decided to sand.

How do you know what his capabilities are? He might wet sand better than you! Just because he only has 1 post doesn't mean he doesn't have skills. Look at the products he has. Oh, and I did say if he had a paint gauge.
    You just have to read his original post. No one said he doesn't have skills, but based on his initial post, his skills are limited. That is why I am posting helpful stuff and not just suggesting "sanding".

In general, sanding OEM clear should be left as a last result and done by a pro.

I suppose you are not one?

Super Member Detail-Impressions's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

[quote=tdekany;924405]
    Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post

You just have to read his original post. No one said he doesn't have skills, but based on his initial post, his skills are limited. That is why I am posting helpful stuff and not just suggesting "sanding".

In general, sanding OEM clear should be left as a last result and done by a pro.

I suppose you are not one?
    Least aggressive is the first step!!

Post Thanks / Like

If Rupes 21, Rupes "Blue" Polish, Rupes "Blue" pad on speed 4-6 won't get them out I would leave them alone. For wet sanding tiny areas I use 3M Trizact 5000-8000 grit 3" sanding discs on a Griot's 3" polisher. For larger areas Rupes Skorpio 6" sander.
    -----------------------------------
    http://www.birminghamautodetailing.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast