autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Very hot Flex XC 3401

Quote Originally Posted by StuDLei View Post
    We have a place in Omaha that works on these??!!!
    Powerhouse Distributing is the official service center for Flex. They are located in Omaha.
    07 TBSS AWD 3SS (Black) - 09 TBSS 2WD 3SS (Silver)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 02xtreme07SS View Post
    Powerhouse Distributing is the official service center for Flex. They are located in Omaha.
    Bob Eichelberg, the president of FLEX North America, lives in the Omaha area as well (Elkhorn).
    2013 Honda Accord Touring - Crystal Black Pearl/Black

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by psnt1ol View Post
    746 divided by 120 volts will equate to 6.2 amps but if that same motor was supplied by 100 volts it would be; 746 divided by 100 which would equate to 7.46 amps or an increase in current of about 20%.

Again.... I could be wrong. If I am then please accept my apology.
    Sorry, Power (watts) = VA, so in your example the power would be the same, the heat would be the same. That example is for constant horsepower. But in the real world you will not draw more current in your circuit, by using a thin extension cord you have increased the resistance of the circuit, and by Ohm's law, the circuit will now draw less amps (but the actual difference in resistance between, say, 12 ga and 16 ga wire is very small, so this will be a minimal current reduction). The reason to use a heavy-gauge extension cord with a tool like this is to make sure the power is being dissipated in the tool, not the cord (as well as not setting your extension cord on fire). Also if you are heating up the cord, the resistance of the conductor goes up, further reducing the power available at the tool.

I think I got that all right.

I'm sure it gets a little more complicated inside the power tool, where there is a cooling fan attached to the moving parts that may be less efficient at different speeds, etc.

Here's another argument about it: A very very basic motor amps question - RC Groups which is kind of about power windows in your car, but does make the point that refrigerators and compressors may have start windings which are for, duh, starting (intermittent use), and if you drop the voltage really low you may never get out of the "start" speed which would put those windings into continuous duty and overheat them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    White snap ring?
    my bad, black snap ring.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JHL88 View Post
    +1 I was using a 14 or 16 gauge (can't remember) when my flex was overheating and causing the white snap ring to burn off and throw itself all over my paint.
    White snap ring?
    my bad, black snap ring.
    How can you burn off a snap ring (which is made out of metal)? Are you talking about part of the backing plate?

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry, Power (watts) = VA, so in your example the power would be the same, the heat would be the same. That example is for constant horsepower. But in the real world you will not draw more current in your circuit, by using a thin extension cord you have increased the resistance of the circuit, and by Ohm's law, the circuit will now draw less amps (but the actual difference in resistance between, say, 12 ga and 16 ga wire is very small, so this will be a minimal current reduction). The reason to use a heavy-gauge extension cord with a tool like this is to make sure the power is being dissipated in the tool, not the cord (as well as not setting your extension cord on fire). Also if you are heating up the cord, the resistance of the conductor goes up, further reducing the power available at the tool.

I think I got that all right.

I'm sure it gets a little more complicated inside the power tool, where there is a cooling fan attached to the moving parts that may be less efficient at different speeds, etc.

Here's another argument about it: A very very basic motor amps question - RC Groups which is kind of about power windows in your car, but does make the point that refrigerators and compressors may have start windings which are for, duh, starting (intermittent use), and if you drop the voltage really low you may never get out of the "start" speed which would put those windings into continuous duty and overheat them.
    Thanks for the link. Apparently, this is a hotly debated issue. I never realized.

Again....I am not a electrician or an engineer. I based my information from my basic schooling and life experiences. I noticed that some power tools do run hotter with a cord that is both undersized and too long. I did burn out a compressor as a kid by using several regular household extension cords. I also witnessed smoke coming out of a saw under load and the same saw was fine later when paired with a heavy gauge cord. I can't explain why it did what it did but I am open to learn.

I guess OP can easily finds out if the cord was the issue by plugging the Flex to the outlet directly and see what happens.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by psnt1ol View Post
    Thanks for the link. Apparently, this is a hotly debated issue. I never realized.
    Yeah, well, I'm trying to find the mechanism buy which this "burning out" works. I understand the refrigeration scenario (and other motors which use a start capacitor), but the power tool one doesn't make sense to me. And the fact that I can't easily find an explanation for it on the internet tells me that it's an old wive's tale. However, I am not discounting your personal experiences.

Post Thanks / Like

How can you burn off a snap ring (which is made out of metal)? Are you talking about part of the backing plate?
    Sorry, apparently I got the 2 confused. The gear ring is what Im talking about not the snap ring. My flex was burning off pieces of the felt ring, which at first i thought was the polish dusting & the gear ring as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry, apparently I got the 2 confused. The gear ring is what Im talking about not the snap ring. My flex was burning off pieces of the felt ring, which at first i thought was the polish dusting & the gear ring as well.
    Ok, now I understand, sorry.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey guys I brought a 50ft 12gauge cord and some 3 in 1 oil, I opened up my Flex and this is what it looks like. Looks kinda dry to me?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Very hot Flex XC 3401-image-jpg  

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast