autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Looking for Pebble Beach shine on a 300SL

Mike and others,

Thank you for the wealth of information and knowledge! The resources here are invaluable. I checked the paint with a Brinkmann Xenon light and noticed very few surface marks, HOWEVER, upon doing a baggy test, I was Shocked with the roughness of the paint. Even after doing it, I went over the same area with my hand and couldn't feel it. So, after a thorough wash and dry, on to extensive claying. I currently have Griot's clay and Speed Shine in my cabinet. What are people's thoughts on these products? Also, with very minor swirl marks on some panels and a few light surface scratches , what would be suggested for pads and polish using an old Griots PC (10+ years)? I tried taking pictures of the surface with my iPhone and the Xenon light but the imperfections were so minor that they would not show up; possibly due to the color (unlike my black daily driver).

Again, thank you all,

Todd

Mike Phillips

Re: Looking for Pebble Beach shine on a 300SL

Quote Originally Posted by ctpj View Post

Mike and others,

Thank you for the wealth of information and knowledge! The resources here are invaluable.
    Thank you for the feedback, remember to share our forum with your car buddies, that's win/win.

I checked the paint with a Brinkmann Xenon light and noticed very few surface marks, HOWEVER, upon doing a baggy test, I was Shocked with the roughness of the paint.

That's a pretty good word to describe how you react when you feel your paint using the baggie test. I've seen a lot of people "shocked" in my life.

Even after doing it, I went over the same area with my hand and couldn't feel it. So, after a thorough wash and dry, on to extensive claying. I currently have Griot's clay and Speed Shine in my cabinet.

What are people's thoughts on these products?
    Griot's makes very good products. I have not used their paint clay myself but I'm sure it's of high quality. Next time I have a car in here I'll give it a try though...

Also, with very minor swirl marks on some panels and a few light surface scratches , what would be suggested for pads and polish using an old Griot's PC (10+ years)?
    See this thread,

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...ing-plate.html

IF you have the same polisher and here are some pictures, it won't do you any good to try to remove swirls as this polisher did not have the ability to rotate a pad under pressure. I explain why in the above thread.

The shroud and the vanes surrounding the spindle assemble were to capture and remove wood dust while sanding.

The holes in this backing plate were touted to help with keeping the polishing process cool but actually they are for sawdust extraction.

I tried taking pictures of the surface with my iPhone and the Xenon light but the imperfections were so minor that they would not show up; possibly due to the color (unlike my black daily driver).

Again, thank you all,

Todd

No problem Todd...

Need to have you check and see if your Griot's polisher looks like the one in the pictures above, if so, you'll need to update to a newer polisher.

Also, here's a video on how to clay...

Show Car Garage Video: How detailing clay works and how to use detailing clay to remove above surface bonded contaminants

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12