autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

How often can you wet sand?

So my Murano has a few scratches etc and paint did not look good So i wet sanded almost 50% of the car (where needed) and compounded/polished the best. Results are amazing but how many times or how often can you wet sand before you get down to the paint?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: How often can you wet sand?

Not a lot. Figure that your average paint is thinner then a post-it note. You have 3 layers of paint base, color, clear. Keep in mind that the paint is not the same thickness all the way around. The panel edges are thinner then center of a panel. You should only wet sand if polishing by machine will not fix the defect. If you do wet sand I would get a paint thickness gauge so you can measure as you sand.
    Now that you have perfect paint make sure you practice good up keep. The less it's touched the less chance of inducing marring. Practice good washing methods, removing spot dirt (bird bombs leaves and the such.) Keep quality protection on your paint and use good MF towels and tools.
    inDetail, "It's all in the details."

Mike Phillips

Hats off to you if you did all this without a whoops!

What type of sandpaper did you use? #grit level?

What kind compound, pad and tool did you use?

Did you remove 100% of all sanding marks?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    Hats off to you if you did all this without a whoops!

What type of sandpaper did you use? #grit level?

What kind compound, pad and tool did you use?

Did you remove 100% of all sanding marks?

Hi Mike I stated with 2000 and finished with 3000 grit. I used the the Hex orange pad for first pass and the the MF for 2-3 more compound passes. I then used the MF pad for polish. Yes sir I got all scratches out with no issues. I used Mags 105/205 and finished off with Pinnacle Souverän Paste Wax and Pinnacle Crystal Mist Detail Spray. I did not seal it yet as I still have to fix a some chips on the hood and passenger side. Once I am done then I will polish it again and seal it before winter around October.

Results were perfect!!! I did take my time and it showed with end result.

Post Thanks / Like

Might be a good idea to apply a coating before sealing

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Calendyr View Post
    Might be a good idea to apply a coating before sealing
    yes i will i just needed to correct my paint because the whole car has swirls and lots of chips/scratches. so I just wanted to correct it then after fix the chips and finally seal it.

I live in apartment so I can only detail when I visit my parents house and usually its only a few hours at a time so I have to do it in chunks.

Mike Phillips

Sounds good.

Starting at #2000 probably saved your butt. Going any lower than than on a factory finish and you're getting into risky territory as factor paint is just thin to start with.

If it were my car... I probably wouldn't sand it again and try not to have to compound the horizontal surfaces, wash her carefully and regularly maintain.

Post Thanks / Like

I find this to be a horrible idea if you are going to be daily driving the car. There is no reason your daily driver needs to have show quality paint when its going to get scratched again. Factory clears are just too thin. If you had an aftermarket paint job and had more than enough clear to spare I see no problem with this. Idk I tend to air on the side of caution when working with factory clear coats.

On daily drivers I really dont like going to wet sanding. I feel the car is better off to saving as much clear as possible.

But since you have already done it well done not making a mistake! I would highly recommend that you apply a coating to give you more protection.
    Zapa's Detailing- In purist of perfection
    https://www.facebook.com/ZapasDetailing

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    Sounds good.

Starting at #2000 probably saved your butt. Going any lower than than on a factory finish and you're getting into risky territory as factor paint is just thin to start with.

If it were my car... I probably wouldn't sand it again and try not to have to compound the horizontal surfaces, wash her carefully and regularly maintain.

OK but what would you do if the car gets other scratches after I wet sand it? leave it and live with it or get it repainted? assuming i can't buff it out first.

Post Thanks / Like

Now that it has been wet sanded, if it is a daily driver, I would live with a few little scratches rather than risk sanding again. You don't want to be one of the weekly "did I sand through my clear?!?" threads.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast