autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

difficult to buff paste wax residue?

I'm trying to use dodo juice supernatural wax right now. I guess I got too much wax on the car since after waiting the recommended 30 min, the wax was really hard to wipe off with a clean MF. After the first wipedown it starts to buff off a little easier, but it seems like a few splotches where it didn't fully buff out are left over. I tried to use less wax on my second coat, and tried to work it longer so it would be almost invisible, but it stayed foggy. Also waited a little shorter since it says "10-30 min, when it starts to haze"...but mine was hazy from the beginning.

Eventually just started using QD, and if I lose any of that coat thats fine. But the splotchy areas still remain. If I rub with really firm pressure they'll come out, but of course any time I have to rub that hard I'm worried about putting swirls back in...

Not sure about IPA, can I use that after waxing, or will it strip the wax?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: difficult to buff paste wax residue?

Did I just help you put two coats of Wolfgang on your car? And now you're putting two coats of super natural on it? That's a little overkill but that's just me. Also, you seem to be applying the wax to heavy handed couple swipes of the pot for half the car is what you need.
    Back to the full-time grind.

Post Thanks / Like

yeah, that was me. I had planned originally to only put 1 coat of the sealant and 2 coats of the dodo juice wax. I've heard a lot of people do sealant + wax, and had read that supernatural gave a really good wet look on blacks.

The only reason I did the second coat of WG is because I wasn't sure if I got good coverage the first time...figured it couldn't hurt.

2 swipes for half the car, wow. so yeah I used too much . I know I need to use less going forward, just wanted to see if there's a good way to get these unbuffed areas off without using too much pressure and scratching the paint...

Post Thanks / Like

Not two swipes, yes couple does mean two, more specifically 3-5 maybe for a hood and fender. 1-2 for a door.

Either way IMO your applying way too much stuff, your just muting your results. Remove the high spots and back away and enjoy the shine you have already created!
    Back to the full-time grind.

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, thanks for the advice. I do know that wax/sealant is for protection and doesn't actually add any shine, but I am after that 'wet' look that people say wax helps with. The reason I was going after a combo was to get the longer lasting protection of the sealant with the wet look of wax.

But hey, this is why I'm going one panel at a time. Good way to learn and experiment with what works and fits my taste.

Post Thanks / Like

Yup, most definitely putting too heavy of a coating. If applying evenly is an issue for you, you can try apply by DA for a thin even coverage. As far as using an IPA after waxing, you are pretty much removing what you just applied.

Post Thanks / Like

I am actually using a da. For the second coat I tried putting less on, and then I could barely see it going on, so I added a little more...apparently still too much. A little does go a lot way, so it's hard to get the right balance between "I have no idea if I'm even applying anything" and "oh crap", haha. But I guess it's better to use less and need to add more than using too much in the beginning.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by manman View Post
    Not sure about IPA, can I use that after waxing, or will it strip the wax?
    Just use more of the same wax to thin out the existing. All paste waxes have solvents in them, to keep it soft.

Post Thanks / Like

Ive had issues like this before and have found two ways to fix it. First way is to just go over it with a non finicky QD. That will clear it up most of the time. Another way is to go over it with DI ice water in a sprayer. SN has been reported as a hard product to work with, your not the first one to experience issues.

Next time you apply, try this. Apply wax to an area very thin. Once it "stops spreading", instead of loading up the applicator with more wax, give the applicator a fine spritz or two of DI water, then proceed just like you reloaded the applicator with wax. This will allow the wax to spread again, quite thin and will enable to to cover more area easier.

One benefit is that you will end up using less wax. And, if you use "less wax" to wax the same car as before, that means it is spread thinner and easier to remove.

Post Thanks / Like

I do not know if you do but you can put the wax in the fridge and store it there. Keeping the wax cold will make it harder for you to overload the applicator because it harder.
    Same idea with the cold DI water just skipping the water.
    inDetail, "It's all in the details."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast