autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

why do so many dislike armorall

i have read every single thread on here that has the word ArmorAll in it and i see that the vast majority of people on this forum have a strong dislike for ArmorAll. i personaly love it. i have used it since i tuned 16 years old and got my first vehicle (11 years ago). i am now a detail technician for a fleet service and i use it on vehicles every day.

people say it leaves to much of a glossy/shinny finish. but i have found that if you use it in moderation this eliminates this issue. i use the original spray and the tire foam. i really like the tire foam because it gives a flat dull finish for the tires.

i am in the process of starting my own mobile detailing buisness and wanted to use more "professional" grade produts for my buisness so i have been trying out new products but i cant find anything else that i like as much as the ArmorAll for my interior cleaning. i guess its because i have used it for the past 11 years and found the technique i use works for me.

my concern is, will people look down on me and my buisness because i use a product on their vehicle that can be bought at any and every big box store? even though i am able to get the same exact results as someone else using the "professional" product?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: why do so many dislike armorall

i personally don't care to use AA for the interiors, but it works well for the tires and wheel wells. the two products that i like are the AA original tire foam and tire shine gel...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mainly I don't use it because it's very greasy here better products out there like dp interior cleaner and protectant leaves a natural look and protects the interior

Sent from space through a satellite

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

The problem with AA is that it does the opposite of what its designed to do.

Protect:
    I wont go deep into the plastic breaking down process, but "professional" products replace the particles that break down in the plastic/rubber/vinyl. AA "adds" to the particles that never broke down to begin with. Its like saying you have a vit A deficiency so lets give you more vit C since vit C is good for you.

Sunlight:
    AA is shiny/greasy because it leaves an oily insulation film behind. "professional" products protect the interior from UV and thats about it. AA, because of the grease/coating, traps the heat into the plastic when the sun hits it.

Im sure AA is working for you and looks great. But its not protecting or increasing the life span of your cars interior, its destroying it more quickly that if you just left it alone.

Post Thanks / Like

slippery, greasy and shiney to the point of tacky. Yeah it's cheap but it's loaded with silicone. It will never dry it just gets sticky in the heat so your basically cooking your interior and exterior vinyl. Exterior vinyl and tires after one rain it's running down your paint from the trim and your tires are brown.
    Better alternatives are my go to: Chemical Guys VRP. It's cream based but can be thinned with distilled water 50/50 and used as a spray. One wipe down let sit 5 minutes buff lightly to a nice satin shine that is dry to the touch, waterproof, lasts months exterior, a year interior if applied right. No shine, no odor, no greasy residue on your hands.
    The other is Opti-Bond it's a little pricey for me but with both products a little goes a long way. I jut prefer VRP. It's more cost effective for me and most clients are not counting how many days the dressing stays on the tires.
    inDetail, "It's all in the details."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nightanole View Post
    The problem with AA is that it does the opposite of what its designed to do.

Protect:
    I wont go deep into the plastic breaking down process, but "professional" products replace the particles that break down in the plastic/rubber/vinyl. AA "adds" to the particles that never broke down to begin with. Its like saying you have a vit A deficiency so lets give you more vit C since vit C is good for you.

Sunlight:
    AA is shiny/greasy because it leaves an oily insulation film behind. "professional" products protect the interior from UV and thats about it. AA, because of the grease/coating, traps the heat into the plastic when the sun hits it.

Im sure AA is working for you and looks great. But its not protecting or increasing the life span of your cars interior, its destroying it more quickly that if you just left it alone.
    We are Central Florida's "First Class" Detailing Service.

Post Thanks / Like

Well I don't care for AA as its very greasy and I'm not a huge fan of a greasy look and it seem to attrack a lot of dust.

When I'm doing a customers car I will as if they want dressing most will say no. For the ones that do I use Meg's hyper dressing. It's a water based that is dilutable to different ratios for different looks. I use 4:1 for interiors if that's what some one wants.

I use hyper dressing on tires and trim as well at different ratios for whatever meets my customers needs.

For a gallon is 38 bucks
    For AA a gallon is 40

There are better options for you money than AA.
    Official Detailing Team Member of Air Force One
    Flex 3401 / Flex PE8 / Rupes 21 / G110v2 / GG6" / Rupes 75E / GG3"
    Click and Like my Facebook Page

Post Thanks / Like

Back in the 70"s Chrysler sent out a memo stating " do not use Armor All on any vinyl or plastic as it has been found to dry out those products and cause premature failure". Armor All new that at the time and still sold the product under the impression you were doing something good for vinyl and plastic. Didn't trust them after that and still don't.

Dave

Post Thanks / Like

from the research i have done on it they have since changed their formula.

Post Thanks / Like

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast