autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Want to get more into detailing--need advice

I always used to wash, claybar and wax my cars myself. Recently I've been having it professionally done, though. I'd really like to get back into doing my own detail work and have been reading as much as I can online. All I can say is, wow I'm overwhelmed! There are so many different products, pads and techniques that I just don't know where to start! My process will go something like this:

Step 1: Wash & Dry--this is an easy step.

Step 2: Clay bar--again, this is an easy one for me as I've done it plenty.

Step 3: Polish--here's where I'm getting confused. I've never done a polish myself (I do own an orbital buffer, though). There seem to be tons upon tons of different polishes. Some are abrasive compounds, others are heavy cutting polishes, some are fine cutting polishes and then you have your finishing polishes. ### where do I begin ?! There also seems to be a ton of pad options, ranging from super aggressive to ultra fine. Again, what's a good choice here? I'm assuming there's a good combination of two polishes to use? Like a cutting polish one a moderately aggressive pad first, then a finishing polish on a fine pad second? Anyone who can give me some polishing advise I'd greatly appreciate it, because right now I'm overwhelmed with so many polish+pad options!

Step 4: Glaze--I'm told this is pretty optional. Thoughts? I've never used a glaze myself.

Step 5: Sealant--Any advice on a good sealant to use? Again, this is not something I've done myself.

Step 6: Wax--I'm a creature of habit and Meguiars Tech Wax 2.0 has always served me well, but I'm open to advice here as well.

Thanks, guys (and gals)!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Want to get more into detailing--need advice

Quote Originally Posted by RJS5689 View Post

Step 1: Wash & Dry--this is an easy step. OK

Step 2: Clay bar--again, this is an easy one for me as I've done it plenty. OK

Step 3: Polish--here's where I'm getting confused. I've never done a polish myself (I do own an orbital buffer, though). There seem to be tons upon tons of different polishes. Some are abrasive compounds, others are heavy cutting polishes, some are fine cutting polishes and then you have your finishing polishes. ### where do I begin ?! There also seems to be a ton of pad options, ranging from super aggressive to ultra fine. Again, what's a good choice here? I'm assuming there's a good combination of two polishes to use? Like a cutting polish one a moderately aggressive pad first, then a finishing polish on a fine pad second? Anyone who can give me some polishing advise I'd greatly appreciate it, because right now I'm overwhelmed with so many polish+pad options!

My best advise is to start slow, purchase intelligently and focus on one person's approaches and norms with the intent to copy their approach. Certainly, you can call AGO and I am sure someone can set you on a good path.

Where you need to start is to provide a view as to the types of vehicles you would be working on? Will you run the gamut of old and new or just focus on taking care of your vehicles? The more information you provide the more likely you will receive more focused advice and recommendations.

Step 4: Glaze--I'm told this is pretty optional. Thoughts? I've never used a glaze myself. Some people have used glazes for show cars and as a temporary remediation approach until such a time that a full correction can be performed.

Step 5: Sealant--Any advice on a good sealant to use? Again, this is not something I've done myself. If you don't mind dealing with long cure times then Blackfire and Wolfgang sealants are tops. If you are completely opposite then a spray sealant would be the trend in thought, or a sealant that wouldn't need any cure time. Bear in mind though that durability expectations need to be factored into account as the longer the cure time, the likelihood that you will receive better durability increases.

Step 6: Wax--I'm a creature of habit and Meguiars Tech Wax 2.0 has always served me well, but I'm open to advice here as well. Techwax is a Wax that also has cleaners. So if by chance you are using a sealant, you will be removing the sealant as you apply this wax. In all likelihood, you would be mixing the sealant and wax. Worst case here is reduced durability and streaking would be evident.

Thanks, guys (and gals)!

Post Thanks / Like

I never use a glaze ever not a fan at all.

Post Thanks / Like

same here.. never been a fan of glaze

what type of orbital buffer? a griot garage 6" or even the megs DA polisher is very affordable.

what youll need for polishing:
    Dual action/random orbital
    MF towels
    cutting pad
    compound
    polishing pad
    polish
    IPA
    sealant/wax

now it is your turn once again to research all those i just mentioned. there is more than enough info if you google about what you need/process.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for such helpful replies, everyone! I have some cheap, no-name random orbit buffer, but I plan to pick up either a Griot 6" or Porter Cable 7424xp.

The vehicle I'll mostly be working on is my daily driver, a 2011 Mazda Miata in black metallic. Living in New York means I unfortunately have to street park the vehicle in the elements and drive it in the snow, so keeping my pain as protected as possible is very important to me.

I will certainly read up on the above products to try and find pairings that work well for me. I assume having a black vehicle means I should avoid some of the overly aggressive products, to prevent swirling and other damage?

Post Thanks / Like

it depends how bad your paint is.. if its heavily swirled out than youll need an aggressive method to correct it.. heavy compound and fine polish

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to AG, RJS. If I were you (which I was at one point) I'd read and read. You will get familiar with the guys that frequent the forum and you will also hear good advice that seems to repeat itself. That black Miata could look really good. It just takes a little knowledge and patience. Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like

Not to thread jack but i noticed a couple people mentioning they're not fans of glazes. Can you explain why? I haven't had any recent experience. Only experience i had with a glaze was when i was a lot younger and many moons ago and i would put a couple dots of wax and a couple dots of glaze on an applicator and apply on car. I remember it giving really good results.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I ordered up a new DA buffer and am looking forward to its arrival. I also plan to use Lake Country pads given the excellent reviews I've read.

I'm trying to decide which products will work best on my vehicle's paint. It was professionally compounded a few months ago, but I can still see some light swirl marks in the paint. I'm thinking of starting with a light cutting polish on a light cutting pad, followed by a finishing polish on a softer finishing pad. I just need to decide which products will suit me best.

Post Thanks / Like

GPS topped with your 2.0.

VT
    Quote Originally Posted by glen e View Post
    ....It's all I use these days....they are buffing when I'm relaxing...and still don't get the powder out of canines!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast