autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Still struggling to find the "right" wheel cleaner... HELP!

Ugh... I think we've all been here: what is the right wheel cleaner for me? Well, since I started the thread, I'm going to talk about me!

First, my wheels dust up on my 991, because it is a high-performance sports car. I know this is going to happen. The wheels are sealed, which helps a bit, but the brake dust is super thick and sticky. Also, what further complicates things is I have some health-related treatment going on right now that requires me to use completely safe wheel cleaners. Even if I have to scrub a little bit more, it is imperative that I use something that will not have detrimental health consequences (that means you,Meguiar's Wheel Brightener!)

So far, I have used P21S Wheel Gel, Griot's Heavy Duty Wheel Cleaner, Chemical Guys Diablo (Diluted 4:1), Sonax Full Effect Wheel Cleaner, as well as OTC Meguiar's, Eagle One, and Mother's wheel cleaners.

Even after using these, I am still left wanting more. I either want it to be cheaper or I want it to work better. I have yet to find something that satisfies both being economical and efficient. Now, due to the health problems, I am willing to throw economical out the window and subsitute economical for "safe", both for my wheels, and, more importantly, me!

Out of the ones that I have tried, even though I have found them all to be advertised as "safe" for the wheel, they contain chemicals that I cannot risk (even though I wear chemical-resistant goggles, nitrile gloves, and a chemical vapor mask). Therefore I have emails out to the manufactures asking them for MSDS reports and specific health-related answers.

Now the scary part: what do you think the best wheel cleaner would be for me? Let's, at least for the moment, not worry about price (even Sonax Full Effect is fairly economical when you buy it 10 liters at a time) and just think about safety and effectiveness. I will scrub the barrel with the Daytona Speed Master Brush and the face with a Mother's Wheel Brush and Boar's Hair Lug Nut Brush (also used for the sides of the wheel face). I am looking to get either the Auto Finesse brushes (when AG gets them) or the Swissvax Brush (heard only good things).

I am also wanting to try many other wheel cleaners that I have not used yet, if you all recommend them. Again, safety first, effectiveness second, price last (yes, it is crazy). I have Excel spreadsheets that contain all the wheel cleaners AG offers that figures price per ounce, per wheel, and per washing so I will take price into consideration after I get everyone's feedback.

Yes, I know everyone has a different opinion, but that's what I am looking for. The more I learn about the different products, the better my final decision will be.

Thanks and Happy Detailing!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Still struggling to find the "right" wheel cleaner... HELP!

Sorry to hear about your health problems. It sounds like your going through a lot of trouble to find a product that is completely safe, but I don't think such a thing exists. I would suggest a different solution all together. Next time you clean your wheels apply the COATING of your choosing, DP just released a wheel specific coating. I would think if you coated the wheels it would limit your exposure to any of these harsh cleaners.

Post Thanks / Like

I think you should deck yourself out in protective gear, maybe even try a wheels-off cleaning of them, using APC, IronX/TarX/TriX, and get them as clean as you possibly can. Then wipe them down with IPA/Eraser and coat them with DP Wheel Coating, or Opti-Coat, or CQuartz, or whatever suits your fancy. I agree with geekdout that a coating may be the answer you're looking for, and once they are coated, you can clean them using your car wash soap.
    07 Mazda 6i

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by geekdout View Post
    Sorry to hear about your health problems. It sounds like your going through a lot of trouble to find a product that is completely safe, but I don't think such a thing exists. I would suggest a different solution all together. Next time you clean your wheels apply the COATING of your choosing, DP just released a wheel specific coating. I would think if you coated the wheels it would limit your exposure to any of these harsh cleaners.
    This is what i would suggest to; using a coating for your wheels. Next time you clean them with the coating on all you'll need is the shampoo you are using to wash your car. I don't use a coating on mine, just sealant and they are super easy to clean without wheel cleaning solution

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with the others that a coating seems to be in order. Also, the new Scholl Concepts wheel cleaner seems to be getting good reviews:

Scholl Concepts Rim 7 Wheel Cleaner

Where are you located? Maybe it is worth getting a pro forum member to clean and coat your wheels (or maybe a group project for some non-pro members, a pay-it-forward?).

Sorry to hear about your health troubles.

Post Thanks / Like

I appreciate the kind words from everyone. It seems, though, I have made a major mistake. My wheels are coated with Opti-Coat 2.0.

I don't know what I was thinking when I wrote sealed; I meant coated. Apologies.

It seems that the consensus is that I should maybe make my own "concoction" of soaps (maybe a mixture of some heavier-duty soaps, stripping power (I.e. chemical guys bug & tar heavy duty car wash) mixed with CG CW&G or Honeydew) that I can put in the Chemical Guys "Duck" Foaming Sprayer (good sprayer. Puts down a lot of product). With the heavy-duty shampoo, it would probably be my safest bet health-wise, as well as very economical.

Thanks for all the help!

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry about your health problems mate , considering these issues , are these skin or respiratory issues , you can either use gloves & or some kind of mask , I know it would suk but it might help you . Just try to help you buddy .

Post Thanks / Like

Don't know if it can meet your requirements health wise, but Autoglym Non Acid wheel cleaner is the best I've found. Works out to be around $40/gal delivered. Unfortunately AG doesn't carry the Autoglym line (yet).

Post Thanks / Like

You can also check out the eco touch wheel cleaner as well as the adam's both solid products..

Have you considered switching your brake pads to low dusting ceramics?
    Sean
    SME Auto Detailing
    Like us on Facebook

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by addysdaddy View Post
    Unfortunately AG doesn't carry the Autoglym line (yet).
    I think AG used to carry Autoglym but dropped it because it didn't move. I think they have been battling a shelf space problem for years, they keep outgrowing their space and have dropped lines along the way that didn't move for them.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast