autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

methods and techniques for rinseless/waterless washes

ok i have done my research on here and for the life of me can not find the answer to my question. i work for a university, i am the detail guy for the universitys fleet service. there is 35 vehicles in the fleet. half of the vehicles never leave campus. the other half get driven regualry. i am required to prepare the vehicle every time a customer uses it. 90% of the time a vehilce is used it is driven 120 miles round trip. its a one day trip. so i basicly clean the vehicle every day. by having to do this i dont actually do a "full detail" on the vehicles each time, its more of a touch up becuase it doesnt get that bad on a one day trip. the university doesnt supply me with the adequate resources i wish they would. the university is wanting to go "green" or "eco friendly" and wanting to cut even more of my budget that i have to properly take care of the vehicles. my question is, since i am only having to do touch ups on these vehicles i am considering going to a ONR or waterless wash. the bigest majority of the time i am only having to get the built of dust off of a vehicle and remove the bugs. they wont let me machine wax or do any kind of paint correction on the vehicles. they are really into keeping the interior perfect. so i spend most of my time on the interior. my boss liked the idea of the waterless, and the ONR idea. but she really doesnt like the idea of letting me spend the $500 on one of the battery operated very low pressure sprayers for the waterless solution. what are some other options i can use instead of the $500 dollar sprayer. would one of them chemical pumpers used for spraying weed killer out of work?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: methods and techniques for rinseless/waterless washes

Just do rinseless (ONR). All you need is a bucket and some towels.

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the forum!
    I'm pretty sure not many folks on here use a $500 sprayer for waterless\rinseless. You can use a bucket, a much cheaper manual pump sprayer, or a spray bottle. In your case, since the vehicles only have a day of "dirt" on them I'd fill a spray bottle with the correct dilution, spray a panel, and wipe it with a microfiber. Then buff it out a little. Should take less than 15 minutes.

Post Thanks / Like

If you're doing multiple vehicles in a row, i would guess the "Garry Dean" method would be the absolute most efficient method. Get a 5gal bucket, fill the bucket with a couple dozen folded Costco MF towels, and cover with a rinseless wash mixture. Two dozen MF towels should be able to do 5 or maybe 6 cars in one sitting.

Super Member DetailedByPrecision's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I use a 1L pump sprayer for my ONR washes.

Click on image to view work

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by anonymoususer View Post
    If you're doing multiple vehicles in a row, i would guess the "Garry Dean" method would be the absolute most efficient method. Get a 5gal bucket, fill the bucket with a couple dozen folded Costco MF towels, and cover with a rinseless wash mixture. Two dozen MF towels should be able to do 5 or maybe 6 cars in one sitting.
    This would be how I would approach your situation with keeping costs low. Goto your local hardware store and get say 3 buckets with screw lids. Since your washing daily just make all 3 buckets at once and save time.

Using the GD method you can comfortably put 50 towels in a wash bucket full of solution. 4 towels is plenty to just wipe "dust" and light dirt accumulation from a vehicles surface. That's 12 per bucket and 36 in total to cover your 35 vehicle fleet.

Sams club has pro force towels in a 24 pack that are your best bang for the buck at .50 per towel and a $12.xx for the pack. Get 9 packs and color coordinate them according for wash/dry. Gallon of your choice of WW and your set. About $150 with this approach and it can effectively take care of the task at hand.

If you have never heard of the "Gary dean" method type it in YouTube and check it out. Hope this helps. - Tory

Post Thanks / Like

With that many cars I would also look into one of the sprayers for weeds an stuff. They are about 2 or 3 gallons. You can mix up your pre-spray in that, have plenty for your day and use the buckets and towels like above mentioned. Hopefully they will let you buy a few gallons of DP,,, but if they are more comfortable with wall mart,,,, look at the turtle wax no rinse thread. or quickly find a Advanced auto and get it while its a 2 for 1 BOGO,, sale ends with the month.