autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: I've got the exterior part of detailing down, but what about the interior?

Quote Originally Posted by beamerstrumpet View Post
    OK, Who becides myself HATES doing the interiors?
    Doing interiors seems like janitor work.

Post Thanks / Like
    A good interior detailer is worth ten who only know how to run a polisher. Paint polishers are a dime a dozen. People live in their cars sometimes hours a day.

The outside gets trashed within hours after you drive it out the driveway or the first heavy dew or rain.
    In my day we didn't have the Internet, iPods,iPads, or smart phones....but we had some really bad-azz cars.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Phathooddetail View Post
    maybe I misunderstood you but I think you might need to rethink your interior process. It should not take 4 to 6 hours just 1 1/2 to 3 max unless the car is excessively dirty.

Sent from my LG-LG855 using AG Online
    I would have to agree with this. Unless you are "restoring" the interior as in repairing scrapes and scuffs, doing massive stain removal I don't know how you could spend 10 hours+ on an interior.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AG Online
    Visual Pro Detailing - Auto Detailing near Marion, IL. Call
    (618) 983-9706 www.visualprodetailing.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight1700 View Post
    True interior detailing takes a lot of patience and time. In my shop it's very common to have two detailers work 4 - 6 hours detailing the interior. There are no cutting corners here, just a lot of hard work. Detailing all the nooks and crannies, instruments panels, consoles, vents, knobs, levers, seats, seat rails, carpet, cubbies, and the list goes on. Using the right products and techniques on every surface is critical to a successful interior detail. No petroleum products, no silicone's, and no greasy surfaces are key.

Im siding here... this means getting EVERYTHING.... not just cleaning, then protecting also.... often times people have years of food, grit, dust, human oils, gd pet hair, spills on spills... etc etc

I, and i think im speaking for midnight in his original post, mean to restore the interior to as best possible condition as possible, IF NOT BETTER THAN NEW... hence the words "true interior detail" And thats what im talkin about...... i also include the sunroof and door jambs ans interior because most clients will call it 'inside'.... those damn sun/moon roofs can take a whole....cleaning and re-lubing all those damn tracks with the industrial grease on them

so thats why i can see it taking an excessive amount of time

Post Thanks / Like

Agree that the "typical" everyday customer just cares about the interior. I've numerous done paint correction exteriors, and the first thing the customer does is look to see if the tires are shiny, then open to door to check out the cockpit.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Phathooddetail View Post
    maybe I misunderstood you but I think you might need to rethink your interior process. It should not take 4 to 6 hours just 1 1/2 to 3 max unless the car is excessively dirty.

Sent from my LG-LG855 using AG Online
    Many people ask why it takes so long, but when they see the work, they understand. We are known for our interior detailing and we've got a number of clients that travel over 200 miles for us to detail their cars/trucks. Nothing is overlooked or taken for granted. Although we are not the cheapest detailer around, people are willing to pay for the work we do.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight1700 View Post
    Many people ask why it takes so long, but when they see the work, they understand. We are known for our interior detailing and we've got a number of clients that travel over 200 miles for us to detail their cars/trucks. Nothing is overlooked or taken for granted. Although we are not the cheapest detailer around, people are willing to pay for the work we do.
    I think the distinction here guys is that %5 difference between really good and flawless. If people are willing to pay for it, that is awesome and keel up the good work. In most areas people are not willing to pay 250+ just for interior so many such as myself work hard hustle and get a very good job done in a shorter period of time.

Visual Pro Detailing - Auto Detailing near Marion, IL. Call
    (618) 983-9706 www.visualprodetailing.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AliMusa View Post
    I've got all the tools, techniques, products, etc needed for detailing the exterior of my car but I haven't done much research about how to detail the interior of a car. I have a 2008 Lancer GTS and there's a lot of fading going on on the faux carbon fiber and the leather wrapping around the steering wheel. I also have some stains in the carpet/upholstery, but I'm not sure what any of them are. Also, the upholstery is very stubborn, especially the floors of the car. If anything is stuck in the fibers, it takes a good amount of effort to get it out. If anyone could please point me into the right direction to make my life any easier, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks!
    Not sure about your faux carbon fiber. For the steering wheel you need some cleaner thats effective on leather. Spray that onto a microfiber cloth and keep repeating that until all the dirt is gone. For the carpets and upholstery a product called Folex will help a lot and its available at the big hardware chains. You should also get a carpet extractor, the Bissell Little Green ProHeat and Bissell SpotClean are about $100. It would also be a good idea to buy a carpet brush, AG also sells attachment brushes that fit into drill to make it a little faster.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VP Mark View Post
    I think the distinction here guys is that %5 difference between really good and flawless. If people are willing to pay for it, that is awesome and keel up the good work. In most areas people are not willing to pay 250+ just for interior so many such as myself work hard hustle and get a very good job done in a shorter period of time.

Detailing is without a doubt a very competitive field. We've worked very hard to separate our detailing from others in the area. In the majority of the time, you are dead on when it comes to the average daily driver and some moderately priced vehicles. Our goal is to gain the trust of the higher end / Elite groups of car owners and to do this we must go the extra mile on every car we do. It's through constantly performing details that exceed customers expectations that will bring in the higher end details.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by silverfox View Post
    A good interior detailer is worth ten who only know how to run a polisher. Paint polishers are a dime a dozen. People live in their cars sometimes hours a day.

The outside gets trashed within hours after you drive it out the driveway or the first heavy dew or rain.
    It's quite the opposite. Anyone can clean a dirty interior. It's hard finding a good detailer that has the ability, equipment, or patience to remove swirls and scratches.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast