autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Spray wax or Quick detailer

What do you use to maintain your finish between a complete wax detail. By that I mean wash, clay, and sealant/wax application. After a weekly wash, what do you use to maintain the finish?

1. Quick wax or quick detailer: What's the difference?

2. Which is better to apply and why?

3. What specific brands do you like?

Thank you for your input.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Spray wax or Quick detailer

When I started on detailing forums a long time ago, the standard practice was to use a quick detailer after your wash, the primary purpose being to remove any water spots from the wash and to give the car a little "pop" (gloss).

Today there are so many good spray waxes/sealants, that are so easy to use, that most members use one of those instead, because it's about the same effort as using a QD but gives you some real protection to extend the life of your LSP.

The difference between a QD and a "quick" or spray wax/sealant is the slickness, look, and any protection provided by the QD will be very short-lived (hours/days) and will be removed by rain, etc., while the spray LSP will have a longevity measured in days/weeks (or arguably months).

There are plenty of good ones, you will get probably every opinion in this thread. Just to throw out a few names, there is the Meguiar's Ultimate Quik Wax, Duragloss AquaWax, Optimum Car Wax, Pinnacle Souveran Liquid Spray Wax (on sale now), etc.

Post Thanks / Like

After a wash there is no need for a quick detailer as the car is clean. A spray wax is a good idea to maintain the protection. I like Optimum spray wax. Some people will tell you that they will spray it on the car as they are drying the car after it is washed.

Post Thanks / Like

I haven't tried a quick wax, but I have tried the quick detailer. It is smooth and has good lubrication.

Post Thanks / Like

There is real justification using some sort of finishing product, if for no other reason than to spot water spotting. Unless you use filtered water of some sort, this is almost inevitable. Yes, you could just dry the car but the less water that is there, the more friction between towel and surface and you increase the risk of marking the finish. By using a good finishing product, you lubricate the surface whilst it is drying and minimise this risk.

Personally I think a straight spray wax is not the way forward here. For a start, lubrication is not the best and for seconds, as it is a wax, it really needs a few minutes to dry properly before buffing. As such, they really should be 2 step processes. Spray sealants are generally a better solution because they are quite good on the lubrication although many still need a few minutes and a final buff for optimal performance. In reality the two groups are mixes as many spray waxes do contain artificial additives, similar to those in sealants. To my mind, a QD should be a true one step product - apply and leave, no subsequent buffing. As such it is the WOWA/WOWO type of sealants which I sell as QDs (unless asked specifically otherwise).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    When I started on detailing forums a long time ago, the standard practice was to use a quick detailer after your wash, the primary purpose being to remove any water spots from the wash and to give the car a little "pop" (gloss).

Today there are so many good spray waxes/sealants, that are so easy to use, that most members use one of those instead, because it's about the same effort as using a QD but gives you some real protection to extend the life of your LSP.

The difference between a QD and a "quick" or spray wax/sealant is the slickness, look, and any protection provided by the QD will be very short-lived (hours/days) and will be removed by rain, etc., while the spray LSP will have a longevity measured in days/weeks (or arguably months).

There are plenty of good ones, you will get probably every opinion in this thread. Just to throw out a few names, there is the Meguiar's Ultimate Quik Wax, Duragloss AquaWax, Optimum Car Wax, Pinnacle Souveran Liquid Spray Wax (on sale now), etc.

What he said is pretty much right on the $$$$$......

McKee's 37 Product Support
    Post Thanks / Like

The Definitive How-To Guide for Spray Waxes, Quick Detail Sprays & Waterless Washes

Here is my definition of a spray wax, quick detail spray and a waterless wash.

Spray Wax: A product containing protective properties to protect and beautify the surface that it's designed to be applied to (ie: paint). A spray wax (sometimes referred to as a "spray sealant") is designed to be applied to paint that's squeaky clean and free of any dust, dirt, or contaminants. A quality spray wax will easily yield 3-4 months of stand-alone protection. A spray wax (spray sealant) is often used as a "booster" over an existing wax, sealant or coating.

Nick's Favorites:

Quick Detail Spray: Just as the name implies, a quick way to touch up your vehicle's finish. A quick detail spray often contains carnauba or polymers (some contain both!) to spruce up your vehicle's appearance. A quick detail spray is often used after a wash to boost the shine. Most quick detail sprays can also be used to remove light dust (don't worry, we'll get more into that later). While a quick detail spray can contain carnauba or polymers, they don't provide too much paint protection, like a spray wax does. Lubricants ensure you don't scratch the finish as you wipe away dust.

Nick's Favorites:

Waterless Wash: A waterless wash (often referred to as a "spray on car wash") contains an advanced blend of lubricants and cleaners designed to safely lift dirt and soil from your vehicle's finish without scratching. Spray on, wipe with a plush microfiber towel, buff, and the car is clean. Most waterless car wash products don't contain any protective properties and will not leave a shine that a true Auto Geek is satisfied with. Follow up with a spray wax so you can sleep at night.

Nick's Favorites:

Post Thanks / Like

1. Quick wax or quick detailer: What's the difference? Quick Wax has some Carnauba and detail spray is mainly for looks.

2. Which is better to apply and why? I'd say Spray Wax to rejuvenate the current wax.

3. What specific brands do you like? Quick Wax- Meguire's Gold Class, Pinnacle Spray Wax and DuraGloss 951.

Spray Detailer- DoDo Juice Basics of Bling
    CURRENT: Happily Retired
    PAST: Owner at Clean N' Shiny, Chicago Auto Pros

Post Thanks / Like

I use a QD with Carnauba after I dry my car, just to pick up any spots or smears. I get spots if parts get dry before I can run over them with my drying towel. Then I will use a sray wax/sealant once in a while to add even more protection and shine.

QD - I get locally at Prevette's
    Spray Wax - Optimum and Pinnacle

Post Thanks / Like

WG Deep Spray Sealant Spritz is very nice. Instant bling.
    Al
    The Need to Bead

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast