autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Dr. Color Chip and Single Stage Paint?

I am leaning towards dr. color chip to use on some road chips because its enamel base and not lacquer like the common touch up paints and the paint on my car is the original enamel one too.

However, I have not seen any reviews on how this stuff actually works on SS paint. all the demos and before/after tend to be cars with b/c paint systems.

Anyone ever tried it on their car? I'm particularly concerned about the seal act solutions step which I think is essentially lacquer thinner or some solvent to help with the blending.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Dr. Color Chip and Single Stage Paint?

Quote Originally Posted by bmwstephen View Post
    I am leaning towards dr. color chip to use on some road chips because its enamel base and not lacquer like the common touch up paints and the paint on my car is the original enamel one too.

However, I have not seen any reviews on how this stuff actually works on SS paint. all the demos and before/after tend to be cars with b/c paint systems.

Anyone ever tried it on their car? I'm particularly concerned about the seal act solutions step which I think is essentially lacquer thinner or some solvent to help with the blending.
    I was a little confused on your wording, and don't profess to be a Dr C Chip authority-expert.

Perhaps others can chime in, and of course, getting info straight from the horse's mouth is as simple as a phone call, or email.

I have used the product, and I like it a lot. I'll tell you what I basically know about it.

To me, this appears to also be a laquer based system as well, because I did find evidence that the Sealact Solution will "act" upon conventional off the shelf touch up paints, but it is harder work, dependent upon how long that paint has been left to cure.

I have found that Naptha (Lighter Fluid) works to clean brushes, the bottle, and hands and such that come in contact with the Dr C Chip Paints.

In your post, it appears you make mention that the paint on your vehicle is enamel, correct?

I don't forsee any problems, since Dr C Chip claims to have a large database on hand, and can also custom mix shades if a sample is provided. I'm certain that this system is not just for 2 stage paint systems, but would be good to give a call to them, tell them the vehicle, and paint, and they can let you know.

They're easy people to work with I have found.
    Mark

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Mark,

I apologize for the confusion and grammatical errors (I was typing the original post on my phone while walking to work).

I had actually spoken with the sales rep, Dan McCool, at Dr. Colorchip and he assured me that the chemistry behind their product is enamel.

My car is an older model BMW with its original factory Single Stage Schwarz Enamel paint that is near-mint. I am leaning towards purchasing the Dr. Colorchip paint system because it is the only touch up paint system I am aware of that isn't lacquered based like most over-the counter products.

Again, my only concern is the Seal-Act step of the process. That solution is proprietary and I could not get the manufacturer to disclose what type of solvent it is and its effects on single stage paints. He only recommended I apply it on a test spot (which I am reluctant to even do).

Post Thanks / Like

You can try it on a very isolated but painted area like say in the engine bay or in some other random spot

Post Thanks / Like
    I've used it on single stage toyota black. No problems at all with the kit.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sears4976 View Post
    I've used it on single stage toyota black. No problems at all with the kit.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
    Are your referring to the toyota in your sig? Any toyota past 2000 actually uses urethane single stage paint which has the same characteristics of b/c but with fewer layers but with pigment. Overall, still a different composition than enamel.

Post Thanks / Like

bump

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Junk, don't buy.

Didn't fill in the chips on my civic. I know its not a SS but still.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Purposebuilt View Post
    Junk, don't buy.

Didn't fill in the chips on my civic. I know its not a SS but still.
    it's not supposed to fill chips unless you build layers on it. It's suppose to color the chipped area so it blends with the surrounding paint. filling it would be a bonus if you are patient enough and apply it correctly.

Post Thanks / Like

Glad I found this thread... I was thinking about trying this product on my MINI.
    2022 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon • 2021 Ford Ranger Lariat •2016 Alfa Romeo 4C Spider • 2006 Buell Lightning-Bolt • 2004 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast