autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: nanoskin vs. clay

Gotcha, well i guess ill just have to add it to my collection and keep some clay... oh the joy of buying new products!

Post Thanks / Like

I have been looking at all the reviews I can find to answer the following question:
    [This question may merely be intellectual armchair detailing.]

Has anyone used Nanoskin until they felt they had done a thorough job and then used clay on the completed area to see if the nanoskin missed anything?

Does the Nanoskin remove the yellowish sap and oil mist that gets baked on on to the hood? Wouldn't a clay followup on the area prove this?

What if clay does a better job pulling sap out of the crannies of the micro-cratered surface of paint which I understand is where waxes need to be able to cross-link/bond directly to the paint.

Seems like clay would be able snag contaminates out of micro-crevices. The same way it snags decals.

I will keep a lookout myself and post any info I can find.

Thanks, (and sorry for beating a dead horse),

Jeff

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jossy92 View Post
    I have been looking at all the reviews I can find to answer the following question:
    [This question may merely be intellectual armchair detailing.]

Has anyone used Nanoskin until they felt they had done a thorough job and then used clay on the completed area to see if the nanoskin missed anything?

Does the Nanoskin remove the yellowish sap and oil mist that gets baked on on to the hood? Wouldn't a clay followup on the area prove this?

What if clay does a better job pulling sap out of the crannies of the micro-cratered surface of paint which I understand is where waxes need to be able to cross-link/bond directly to the paint.

Seems like clay would be able snag contaminates out of micro-crevices. The same way it snags decals.

I will keep a lookout myself and post any info I can find.

Thanks, (and sorry for beating a dead horse),

Jeff
    Interesting line of thought there Jeff. Hmmmm....

All I know is I've not used clay (for anything that Nanoskin will reach) since I got mine.

My daughters GTP I decided to do while she was away on her honeymoon this week. Here she had a garage, but at her new place it's outside AND IT'S UNDER TREES!

A couple of months ago we did a decent (albeit quick) once over with Megs D151 and topped with M21 2.0. Since then she's been working 60 hours a week and it has been raining AT LEAST 5 days a week for the last month. I mean seriously... Atlanta has NEVER SEEN SO MUCH FREAKING RAIN.

Anywho, pulled out the little pressure washer, the foam gun, and the 2 buckets. (Plus another wheel bucket of course.) Foamed and let it dwell, rinsed with the little pressure washer, then repeated and went about washing with the 2 bucket method. When finished it literally (on the horizontal panels) felt like it was covered in overspray, and we went over it with 2 mitts, TWICE (and foamed AGAIN for the second wash). The sap and God knows what else, was so bad that foaming three times, rinsing with a 1700psi pressure washer, and hand washing twice didn't phase it.

I then whipped out the Nanoskin pad and regular ONR for a quick go over and *presto* it was slick as a baby's bottom. Topped it with DG 951 the first coat then went back with polycharged DG 951 for a second coat and it looks like it did 2 months ago when it was buffed.

Post Thanks / Like

Started detailing my brothers G35x and the freakin car hasnt seen clay in 5 years. Whipped out my nanoskin towel for the first time. All i can say is wow... it saved so much time. If it wasnt for the nanoskin... i would probably be still out there claying.
    2012 Acura CBP TL SH-AWD Tech

Post Thanks / Like

I forgot i even made this thread..
    I bought some pinnacle clay, and i must say its some of the better clay ive used(well im fixing to use it, but it feels better)

I wish i would have remembered about this thread, im really anxious to try nanoskin.
    Thanks for all the feedback!

Post Thanks / Like

Just picked up the nanoskin speedy prep towel in Fine.

Will be using it this weekend and we will see how it does compared to clay. Maybe i will be a 50/50 test on my hood at first...but that seems like it would slow down the process thus defeat the point!

Post Thanks / Like
    I got the chance to use a Speedy Prep towel last year and once my clay is done I'll be getting one in fine grade, its soooooo easy to use!

Sent from my SPH-M930 using AG Online
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

Post Thanks / Like
    Can plain old water be used a lubricant while claying? Since I will be either correcting paint wet sand or just light polish followed by a wax.

Pinnacle WW has way to much wax for lubricant while claying, great for washes however IMO

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by hernandez.art13 View Post
    Can plain old water be used a lubricant while claying? Since I will be either correcting paint wet sand or just light polish followed by a wax.

Pinnacle WW has way to much wax for lubricant while claying, great for washes however IMO
    No it can't. I found it makes the clay grabby and it disintegrates. Detail spray isn't that expensive and it works leagues better. IMO.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah been leaning towards some UWW+

But first a new machine

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast