autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Starting new company

Hi guys I was thinking about starting a detail business on the side with a partner . During the week I work for ups so this would just be on the weekend the guy I'm doing it with knows how to detail cars so I would be learning from him and also taking classes to learn I'm just trying to get an idea on average how much money can be made on the weekend? I would just like to know the potential before I invest on the set up. Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Starting new company

You're not going to like my answer but before you do this I would recommend reading every article by Mike Phillips and his book. Then read them all again. Practice on your own car or someone else's car who won't sue you if you mess it up.

Going into business with a partner (especially detailing and especially with a lack of knowledge of the trade) is a bad idea IMO. Please don't take this the wrong way. I don't even own my own business but I've thought about it. Before I ever do I need to complete the things I've listed. I'm at the point now we're I'm going to tackle some friends/ family's cars to get some more experience working on something other than my own vehicle. I've read his book and I've read most of his articles at least once or twice.

That said I realize everyone is their own man/woman and can go about things however they deem appropriate.

GL.
    Thank you Autogeekers!

Post Thanks / Like
    AGO has taught me the importance of being insured when starting up. Because you never know...

Mike Phillips

Re: Starting new company

First, since this is your first post...

Welcome to AutogeekOnline!

Quote Originally Posted by Marvrdr78 View Post

Hi guys I was thinking about starting a detail business on the side with a partner .

I'm just trying to get an idea on average how much money can be made on the weekend?

That is a GREAT question!

If you work on both Saturday and Sunday, about 8 hours + a day, you can make a range from $100.00 to on average $800.00 per day not including expenses and overhead.

It just depends on what type of detailing you're doing and how many cars you can pump out.

Production Detailing means doing a lot less steps and charge a lot less for the work but doing more cars in one day.

Show car detailing usually means only doing one car a day and charging big bucks because you have a reputation that means you can get big bucks.

I would not recommend going into any business for the money but instead find out what your passion in life is and find a way to earn a living from your passion.

Some guys do very well in the "Car Detailing" industry building a production detailing business up whether mobile or brick & mortar shop so it can be done but it takes time and lots of hours and hard work.

So the question is...

Are you interested in detailing cars for the money or are you interested in detailing cars because making cars look better than new is your passion?

I'd start by getting and reading my buddy Renny Doyle's book,

How to Start a Home-Based Car Detailing Business

Read through it and it will help you determine if this type of business is for you or not. The link above goes to the combo deal to get Renny's book and my book so if you decide you want to get into this biz you're going to want to read both.