autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Best pad for SF4500 on super soft paint?

As the title says, I think I am in need of new pads to apply a super-fine finishing polish, such as Menzerna SF4500, on my super super soft black Porsche paint.

First, what I have: white, black, blue, and red LC CCS pads. They are all 5.5 inches. I have applied Optimum Finish Polish with the black CCS pad and it caused micro-marring on my paint.

From what I have learned/read throughout this forum, I think the best bet would be the aforementioned Menzerna polish (even though there is debate if SF4000 would be just as effective and more versatile (please thoughts on this.) The pad of choice seems to be the Lake Country Hydrotech line, and specifically, the crimson finishing foam (Lake Country Hydro-Tech 5 1/2 x 7/8 Inch Foam Pads , hydrotech foam pads for water-based polishes, lake country foam pads, buffing pads.

I am also looking at the Constant Pressure Hi-Gloss Pads, specifically the Hi-Gloss Red 5.5 Inch Flat Final Finishing Pad, purely because it is on sale. If it does not provide the best feel or is not the best pad for what I need then I will not get it. I want the best pad for the job.

I would like to stay with non-CCS pads. I have the CCS pads and think I would prefer the flat pads. It seems that most people agree with this assessment.

Thank you for your input and responses and happy detailing!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Best pad for SF4500 on super soft paint?

I have a new metallic black Porsche. I used SF4500. If you're only dealing with micro-marring, a blue pad should be fine. I had minor swirls and felt the blue pad was a little too slow so i stepped up to a green pad then stepped down to blue.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by anonymoususer View Post
    I have a new metallic black Porsche. I used SF4500. If you're only dealing with micro-marring, a blue pad should be fine. I had minor swirls and felt the blue pad was a little too slow so i stepped up to a green pad then stepped down to blue.
    Are you liking the SF4500? Or to be more specific, if you were buying again, would you go SF4000 or SF4500? Thank you!

Post Thanks / Like

I love SF4500! The way i care for my car, i don't think i would need anything heavier than SF4500. I read somewhere on the forum that SF4000 leaves micro-marring on soft black paint and needs to be finished off with SF4500.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sonax perfect finish is worth every penny if you have black paint. As great as SF4500 is, there's a new sheriff in town.
    In my day we didn't have the Internet, iPods,iPads, or smart phones....but we had some really bad-azz cars.

Post Thanks / Like

Hello again,

So it seems that you finally lean towards Menzerna. You will not be disappointed. Stay with the 4500 even if the 4000 is in the same gloss scale of 5, due to the soft paint. 4500 is an exceptional finishing polish.

As I said before, I had good results with the HT crimson pad. Also important in my opinion is size. Stay with 5.5 in and 4 for smaller areas.

Having said all that if I had my own Porsche and being an Autogeek, (those two things take a lot of time to explain their true meaning) I would test a few different combinations of polisher, pad and product before I decide the final combo that I would use.

Micro marring can be a result of various things other than your pad and polish. Make sure that you work extremely clean every time you touch the paint, in all stages of your work. Pads, towels, applicators all should be either extremely clean or brand new especially during the finishing stage.

Mike has some great articles and videos on working clean and doing a test spot before you dial in your final combo. I'm not sure if you have already read them but you would definitely benefit from the solid advice and experience.

Black paint is not easy to work with as it is not forgiving at all when It comes to hiding defects, so success hides in the "details".

Again i dont know what you have alteady read but Here are some articles from Mike that i think will definitely help you overall to avoid common mistakes that might keep you from achieving the results you are looking for.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...-polisher.html

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...test-spot.html

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...ry-buffer.html

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...ads-often.html

You must promise to post pictures when you are done. Black Porsche polished is always nice to share...

Theo

Post Thanks / Like
    May I ask what machine are you using?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Wes Bremec View Post
    May I ask what machine are you using?
    Porter Cable 7424XP HD DA Polisher.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by anonymoususer View Post
    Euro Shine pads and Lack Country/Buff and Shine are different. Example: ES blue=polishing LC white=polishing.