autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Using an old 9" Single Speed Milwaukee Polisher?

Hey all. I'm new here, and looking for some advice on polishing. I mentioned to my dad that I might be interested in buying a 7" polisher/sander tool. And he said he had a big old one already. It's a Milwaukee 6060 9" Sander/Grinder. Uses the same 5/8-13 head as any of the 7" models though. It's a single speed, 3200 RPM (full load) 11.5 amp machine.

My question, is this thing usable for polishing, or is it too much machine? I can handle the weight, but I'm not sure if it's too fast for polishing. I'm sort of new to the rotary buffers like this, but I have used them, did a 26' boat once. I have a 93 Mustang that has an ugly purple paint, and the car isn't in great shape anyway, so I figured I could practice on that car before taking the buffer to my Infiniti.

Anyway, just looking for some advice. Also, what pads would you recommend for a beginner?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Using an old 9" Single Speed Milwaukee Polisher?

Quote Originally Posted by superman22x View Post
    Hey all. I'm new here, and looking for some advice on polishing. I mentioned to my dad that I might be interested in buying a 7" polisher/sander tool. And he said he had a big old one already. It's a Milwaukee 6060 9" Sander/Grinder. Uses the same 5/8-13 head as any of the 7" models though. It's a single speed, 3200 RPM (full load) 11.5 amp machine.

My question, is this thing usable for polishing, or is it too much machine? I can handle the weight, but I'm not sure if it's too fast for polishing. I'm sort of new to the rotary buffers like this, but I have used them, did a 26' boat once. I have a 93 Mustang that has an ugly purple paint, and the car isn't in great shape anyway, so I figured I could practice on that car before taking the buffer to my Infiniti.

Anyway, just looking for some advice. Also, what pads would you recommend for a beginner?
    These are the sort of machines that Christopher Columbus brought over on the Santa Maria.
    Might be the same machine I first learned on, but I don't believe it had that high a speed?
    Heavy like a boat anchor, and the sound is akin to like you're drilling for oil down in Texas.

At that speed, paint will burn to bare metal faster than you can say OMG! Even with mild glazes, you takes your chances with such a machine.

Sure they can be used, with small foam waffle pads and such, but one would be better off if they're really interested in a rotary, to get something a bit more modern, and with variable speed. I think one needs to look at a machine that works in the 1200-1800rpm range.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Ok, haha, I kind of figured that was the case. I just wanted to get a second opinion.

I'll keep this one around for when I need to saw bricks in half.

Post Thanks / Like
    That's fine to start but you should just use foam pads because wool will swirl the paint at that speed!
    I recommend you purchase the new dewalt rotary its awesome!

Sent from my XT907 using AG Online

Post Thanks / Like

I have to add an emphatic X2.
    I,too learned on a single-speed rotary in the 70's and still have a 2000 rpm Rockwell I bought new. After a few years of hanging around here, I bought a D/A and I'll never regret it. I still pull the rotary out for a rare bit of heavy correction, but very rarely. Knowing how careful I need to be during those rare rotary sessions with 2000 rpm, I can't begin to think of the anxiety with 3000 rpm. I'd highly recommend against using your Dad's machine on paint. I've got a Griot's machine, but if budget is tight, get yourself a Harbor Freight D/A and some good pads and BP here at AG.
    Trust me, you'll never look back.

Bill

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Ok, thanks for the tips guys!
    Yeah, I bought a cheapo wool pad from Harbor freight to test it out on the mustang, it shredded the pad quickly. Although the spot of the car looked good. It's 3200 RPM at full load, 5000 RPM otherwise... Haha.

I'm thinking about this guy:
    Kawasaki 840581 11 Amp 7-Inch Sander and Polisher - Amazon.com

If I get one that is. Got good reviews.

Post Thanks / Like

COMPLETLY agree with Mark and Bill!!!

I'd write more, but my body is hurting just thinking about 'those days'. Man those suckers were heavy.

Bill

Post Thanks / Like

3200 RPM with a 9" pad...man what the surface speed must be at the OD of that pad! Do yourself a favor if this is really going to be a hobby profession for you and get yourself a new machine. If you really want a "rotary" get one or a Flex DA with forced rotation.