autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Why am I destroying pads?!?!

Finally got a free Sunday to detail my Tahoe. My rupes absolutely destroyed three pads. Which makes me know that it's not the pads but me. First I ruined the 5" Meg's finish MF.Why am I destroying pads?!?!-imageuploadedbytapatalk1373252486-541819-jpg
    This was done one the roof of the truck. Didn't think much of it at the time because I've read others having this happen. Plus I figured maybe me bumping against the luggage rack caused some damage as well. So I switch out to 6" Meg's cutting MF after doing 5 panels with this one that joker just came completely undone. Why am I destroying pads?!?!-imageuploadedbytapatalk1373252541-990846-jpg
    Well those were the only two MF's that I had. (Gift from Kevin Brown) so I moved over to the rupes green. (Btw I was very impressed with the results from this pad and FG 400) Well this one lasted for two and a half panel before it came apart. Why am I destroying pads?!?!-imageuploadedbytapatalk1373252598-956887-jpg

So here are my guesses as to what I did wrong.
    1. Speed too high ( I was using them at just below 5) I'm sure someone's going to tell me that's too high but the results were great. Pad never stopped rotating on curves

2. Maybe the moisture from the pad washer and then heating the pad back up on the paint caused the separation

That's pretty much all I can think of. Except maybe bad technique on my part.

Any ideas?

Post Thanks / Like
    The MF pads can't really be run over speed 4 bc they get too hot and that happens. Also make sure you clean them well after every panel. Compresse air works best but a brush can work also. Switch pads out every couple panels next time to help let them cool.

Also when removing the MF pads from the rupes plate make sure you pull them off with both hands bc that Velcro is something else.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Why am I destroying pads?!?!

I agree with the cleaning portion. It may be getting to saturated which I believe can affect the temperature.

How/When do you clean your pads while polishing?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by af90 View Post
    I agree with the cleaning portion. It may be getting to saturated which I believe can affect the temperature.

Could it also be not priming the pad properly? - def clean the pads between panels too.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mach1USMC View Post
    Could it also be not priming the pad properly? - def clean the pads between panels too.
    I'm honestly not sure, but I think not priming it would more so lead to excessive dusting and dry buffing but I suppose if you kept it up it could overheat. That's also why many people recommend 2 pads while buffing so you can switch pads each panel after you clean them and let them cool. Which brings up another possible explanation.

Post Thanks / Like

Was cleaning with Grit Guard pad washer after every panel. I have compressed air maybe I should use that instead.

SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like
    The rupes definitely generates allot of heat and I myself have ruined some megs mf cutting discs. Also the hook n loop is stupid ridiculous strong with any pad.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using AG Online

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm honestly not sure, but I think not priming it would more so lead to excessive dusting and dry buffing but I suppose if you kept it up it could overheat. That's also why many people recommend 2 pads while buffing so you can switch pads each panel after you clean them and let them cool. Which brings up another possible explanation.
    I'm pretty sure I kept the pads primed well. Just didn't switch them out, well because I only had one 5" and 6" which would have meant switching backing plates after every panel. So I figured I would just keep them clean. Maybe too clean.

Post Thanks / Like

I think the problem is you using the grit guard pad washer and only one pad. Use two to four pads for a car.
    Nova College of Dental Medicine Class of 2017
    Please check out my detailing YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/roshan517

Post Thanks / Like
    I think your using too much pressure (and speed) and getting too much heat. From what I've been told, you only use a little pressure with a Rupes. Heat will make foam pads come apart like that. You need more pads. You can't just keep washing the same pad after every panel.

Also, its not "pad priming" or lack of that will destroy a pad like that, but using way too much polish. If the pads become soaked and gummed up with product, that contributes to their over heating.

It also looks like the face of the foam pad was ran into/over something mechanical. The face of the looks chewed up.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast