autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

After removing tape....

What's your procedure? This is kind of a noob question, but today I did a 2-step polish on the 350z. I properly taped everything off beforehand, but when I pulled the tape off I had a somewhat hardened line of product that had built up along the edge. Do you guys just take a towel and rub it down really hard to get it off? Just curious what the norm is here; I've never seen this asked before.

When I'm polishing, I try to stick on one panel at a time, but sometimes it's almost impossible to not cross over cracks between say the door and the quarter panel. Polish inevitably ends up in there. Does everyone deal with this or is there something you can do to avoid it? There are certain lines on this car that are going to get polish in them. I think I was able to get it all out, I'm just trying to reassure myself that even the pros have to deal with it, at least in certain spots.

Right??
    Thank you Autogeekers!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: After removing tape....

So I asked this pretty much same question to Rasky on here. He basically said we are using the wrong type of tape.

Apparently what we are using are meant for hard to stick to surfaces, so basically you need to get one that doesn't stick to much, but just enough to be able to peel with no residue. Let me see if I can find his post.

As for your second question, polish does not have to eventually in there. Work your product in for a minute or so on the paint, and then cross over the seam and you will have no sling of polish into the cracks

Post Thanks / Like

Here you go:

Quote Originally Posted by RaskyR1 View Post
    Yeah, that stuff seem a bit too strong for use on cars.

I will generally use the regular blue 3M painters tape or the Meguiar's tape. I have had the Meguiar's stuff occasionally leave some light residue around the sunroof glass. The blue painters tape will have the cleanest release IME.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ihaveacamaro View Post
    So I asked this pretty much same question to Rasky on here. He basically said we are using the wrong type of tape.

Apparently what we are using are meant for hard to stick to surfaces, so basically you need to get one that doesn't stick to much, but just enough to be able to peel with no residue. Let me see if I can find his post.

As for your second question, polish does not have to eventually in there. Work your product in for a minute or so on the paint, and then cross over the seam and you will have no sling of polish into the cracks
    Thanks for the reply man.

Regarding my first question though, I was taking about the polish that builds up on the edge of the tape and then when you pull the tape off you have a line right where that edge was.

I was able to get it off with a little elbow grease, just wondered if this was the norm and everyone has to do it.
    Thank you Autogeekers!

Post Thanks / Like

Start of with blue 3M painters tape and if that dosent have to hold you are looking for move up to the green 3M tape.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by StuDLei View Post
    Thanks for the reply man.

Regarding my first question though, I was taking about the polish that builds up on the edge of the tape and then when you pull the tape off you have a line right where that edge was.

I was able to get it off with a little elbow grease, just wondered if this was the norm and everyone has to do it.
    Your typical IPA mix (17-20% isopropyl alcohol to water) in a spray bottle makes it child's play to remove and unless you're scrubbing like a mad man it shouldn't bother the trim's finish.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RoadRageDetail View Post
    Your typical IPA mix (17-20% isopropyl alcohol to water) in a spray bottle makes it child's play to remove and unless you're scrubbing like a mad man it shouldn't bother the trim's finish.
    I used some carpro eraser after awhile and it seemed to work pretty well. I only have the tiny sample sized bottle, so I was using it pretty sparingly.
    Thank you Autogeekers!

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I use IPA mixed to about 20% as well.

I've never tried it, but I've read a lot of people treat the trim before polishing and it makes the dust/polish not stick. I use to be an automotive painter at a dealership so taping a car doesn't take me nearly as long.

Post Thanks / Like
    I know what you are talking about. I hate the glue that tape can leave. I bought the green supper sticky 3M tape thinking it would be better. The glue oozes out of the tape and can get on your towels and make a mess and even cause marring. I think the blue tape is better

Post Thanks / Like

I'm going to have to start getting the blue tape. How much overlap of tape do you guys do? When I tape trim, I try to get it as close to the edge as possible, but want to make sure it's completely covered too. When I did the roof of my car I ended up with a super skinny line of uncorrected paint that the tape was covering. It doesn't bother me, and it was nice to see the results I produced, but wondered if there were any ways to get around this, without spending 100 years getting the tape p e r f e c t. Just practice and experience?
    Thank you Autogeekers!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast