autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: AM I to slow?

Post Thanks / Like

AM I to slow?

I just did a paint correction on a 2008 4 dr Tahoe Black. I did the normal 2bw, clay, then I used Menzerna 4000 and OC orange pad on a da from Harbor frieght, after which I wiped down with car pro eraser and my lsp was pinnacle sig 2 series. It took 8 hrs from start to finish. Keep in mind client wasn't looking to get out all the imperfections that is why I chose this procedure.

I was able to decrease the imperfections by 70 percent which he was very happy with. On top of this I also did tire shine, wheel well shine, window in/out, dust interior surfaces and applied uv protectant and vacuum, also the front to seats received leather clean and conditioning. which added another 4hrs. Over all I had a day and half in the project.

I am looking to become more efficient so any feedback would be great.

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: AM I to slow?

Well if your just starting out your better to go slow and take your time and do it right than to rush and do a bad job. The more you get your technique and process down the easier and fast you will get done.

A Tahoe is a very large vehicle with lots of paint and space inside
    Official Detailing Team Member of Air Force One
    Flex 3401 / Flex PE8 / Rupes 21 / G110v2 / GG6" / Rupes 75E / GG3"
    Click and Like my Facebook Page

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn Taylor View Post
    I just did a paint correction on a 2008 4 dr Tahoe Black. I did the normal 2bw, clay, then I used Menzerna 4000 and OC orange pad on a da from Harbor frieght, after which I wiped down with car pro eraser and my lsp was pinnacle sig 2 series. It took 8 hrs from start to finish. Keep in mind client wasn't looking to get out all the imperfections that is why I chose this procedure.

I was able to decrease the imperfections by 70 percent which he was very happy with. On top of this I also did tire shine, wheel well shine, window in/out, dust interior surfaces and applied uv protectant and vacuum, also the front to seats received leather clean and conditioning. which added another 4hrs. Over all I had a day and half in the project.

I am looking to become more efficient so any feedback would be great.

Thanks!
    You can substitute the clay bar for a prep towel if you want to speed up the process a bit.

Twelve hours for an interior/exterior detail is pretty good for such a large vehicle. I detailed (Iron X Application, Minor Paint Correction and Interior Rejuvenation Detail) a Cadillac Escalade the other month and it took me roughly 14 hours to complete. Keep in mind that I did extract the carpets and steam clean the leather seats while cleaning the interior.
    Critical Details
    Trevor Spedden

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Glen that doesn't sound bad at all. I mean if you took your time with the wheels, did the clay all over, (including the roof). Then you ran the DA for an AIO for the ENTIRE thing, (again, including the roof), then the LSP, plus the seats and an interior wipe down. You did fine.

Thing is... are YOU happy with not just your time, but what you are getting paid for your time?!?! Some guys think anything less than $50 an hour is not enough, while others are fine at $20. I enjoy detailing, and by the grace of God I don't need to feed the family with it, and by that... I am selective with what I do, but when I do it, I do it RIGHT! Switching from a huge truck to an exotic sports car to me is just part of what I do. I've made as little at $15 an hour, and as much as $75. Honestly I'm happy with both.

Post Thanks / Like

I will also add to the idea of however long it takes you to satisfy yourself with what your are giving the client is the right amount of time. I also use to wrestle mentally with the question of "am i taking too long?" and have now settled on satisfying myself with the job.

At a day and a half, you are right where i would be with the same job. Many times i'll punch it out in maybe 10 hours (1 day) and hustle the last hour to tidy up everything i don't like before the customer returns. I would much prefer to keep it overnight and take my time the next morning getting everything absolutely perfect and to exceed the customers expectations and after what is hopefully a decent nights rest!

I have stopped comparing myself to the pro's who do this for a living. Those guys have a sequence of steps, actions and work efficiencies out of sheer volume and unbelievable experience. That is not to say we can't learn from their efficiencies but i do it to satisfy myself and treat every customer vehicle as if it was my own and that takes me some time to do it right.

Summary? A day and a half on a Tahoe would be just right for me! And after that day and a half, if i had to get in it and drive it around as mine i would be proud as hell.