autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Opti-coat : bird poo fail?!?

On May 18th, I decided to OC my hood for a test panel. Most of the rest of my car has had Wolfs HB since January including my hood before the clay/polish/OC. This wasn't my first OC application, i've done quite a few and followed the installation directions and even IPA wiped x 2.

On June 20th after one month of not being washed it finally got a waterless wash.

June 22nd I parked it under "THE TREE" and got these

Today June 26th I washed them off. Theyve also been rained on since the 22nd. And THIS is whats left behind:

Tried to get the best pix I could, most definitely etched into my paint. And, if you notice on the before picture where you can see the hood/left fender.. the bird poo was splatted on both sides. The fender has Wolfs HB on it, and I noticed the smallest little etched spot compared to the OC side.

This is a bummer for me

Post Thanks / Like
    I believe no matter a wax, sealant, or coating, they are all considered sacrificial barriers. Mike Phillips uses the sacrificial barrier term on all LSP's. this basically means that your protection sacrifices itself to protect the paint and cc underneath. I wouldn't be surprised that bird droppings or even water spots could etch into opti coat if not wiped off.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Opti-coat : bird poo fail?!?

Quote Originally Posted by jrs1418 View Post
    On May 18th, I decided to OC my hood for a test panel.

On June 20th after one month of not being washed it finally got a waterless wash.

June 22nd I parked it under "THE TREE" and got these

Today June 26th I washed them off. Theyve also been rained on since the 22nd.
    -The timetable you've listed may not have given the OC enough time to completely cure.
    Once cured...is when Optimum-Coatings' attributes are at their best.

-Maybe it's just me, but:
    Once noticed...I would not have left bird poop on any of my vehicles for 4 days.

Quote Originally Posted by jrs1418 View Post
    This is a bummer for me
    Chin up...All hope is not lost:

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...bird-poop.html

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

FWIW....echo to the above responses. Bird poop, tree sap, eggs....those are the big three that MUST be removed right away, period.

Adding to that, and I'm not sure if others are experiencing this, but bird poop seems to be getting increasingly toxic. The last few cleanups I've had, all same-day efforts, have involved etching that required correction. The last one still puzzles me - my own car, with two recent coats of DGPS, poop removed with QD/MF in under two hours after the attack, and the etching was BRUTAL. So...sorry for the long sad story, but...the moral remains, get that crap off of there quick-like. Literally.
    -Jerry
    Cogito Ergo Idiot.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VroomVroom View Post
    The last one still puzzles me - my own car, with two recent coats of DGPS, poop removed with QD/MF in under two hours after the attack, and the etching was BRUTAL.
    This exact thing happened to me earlier this week. I have x1 KAIO + x2 WG DGPS 3.0 on my 335i and I'm pretty sure I caught a bird bomb within a couple hours of it happening and I too have etching left behind.

Post Thanks / Like

So the wolfs hard body protected better than the OC? Wow.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Wes Bremec View Post
    I believe no matter a wax, sealant, or coating, they are all considered sacrificial barriers. Mike Phillips uses the sacrificial barrier term on all LSP's. this basically means that your protection sacrifices itself to protect the paint and cc underneath. I wouldn't be surprised that bird droppings or even water spots could etch into opti coat if not wiped off.
    I agree.

Opti-coat is not an armor. It's stronger than your traditional LSP and lasts longer but it's not invincible.

Waiting 4 days to remove bird poop is just asking for it.
    2011 SEMA Meguiar's Car Crazy Showcase Team
    2016 Competition Ready Barn Find Porsche Team

Post Thanks / Like

IMHO (after doing one car), The rate of OC2 application is so low and most if it is solvents anyhow, it's not realistic to expect a continuous layer of OC2 resin after it cures. More like microscopic spots here and there (I may need to play with my microscope to prove it). Enough to repel water, but not enough to protect against corrosive paste.

BTW, is it uric acid in those chemical bombs that is the culprit?

Post Thanks / Like
    Most of my experience is with Opti-Coat Pro, but I have seen what looks like etch fade and disappear over about two weeks. It's been described as a surface stain vs etching. I'm not sure if that'll happen for you because the coating is the consumer version and hadn't been on long, but you can try to see if its above the surface by claying or using a chemical paint cleaner with no abrasives.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Post Thanks / Like

Now that he is left with that etching....

How can it be taken out..( I have same problem)

Is wet-sanding the only way?

Mike

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast