autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Opti-coat : bird poo fail?!?

Machine polishing will remove etching most of the time, unless it is very severe.

Retired Professional Detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Marc08EX View Post
    I agree.

Opti-coat is not an armor. It's stronger than your traditional LSP and lasts longer but it's not invincible.

Waiting 4 days to remove bird poop is just asking for it.
    amen..optimum has done a great job of marketing OC...I use it a lot so I'm a believer... but many who get it done seem to think it's some type of force field barrier that will not scratch or let things thru like poop. So non detail people treat their cars WORSE in some cases...LOL...
    Glen -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chris@Optimum View Post
    Most of my experience is with Opti-Coat Pro, but I have seen what looks like etch fade and disappear over about two weeks. It's been described as a surface stain vs etching. I'm not sure if that'll happen for you because the coating is the consumer version and hadn't been on long, but you can try to see if its above the surface by claying or using a chemical paint cleaner with no abrasives.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    I've seen the same thing happen with OC. Its like the etching goes away on its own. Leave it and see what happens.

Post Thanks / Like

Most of my experience is with Opti-Coat Pro, but I have seen what looks like etch fade and disappear over about two weeks. It's been described as a surface stain vs etching. I'm not sure if that'll happen for you because the coating is the consumer version and hadn't been on long, but you can try to see if its above the surface by claying or using a chemical paint cleaner with no abrasives.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Sorry i didnt elaborate.. it IS OC Pro, had over 30 days cure time in Hawaii.

It is most definitely an etch, hard to grab it on camera but it is not above the surface, but if you'd like I'll clay it today & clean with an APC. I'd love to be wrong on this.

I've heard OC has been called "chemically resistant" and "permanent". And I'm NOT bashing OC, but i was once "sold" but now I am not.

And how come the side with Wolfs HB is clean?

Side notes: 2 other OC experiments i've been doing have OC PRO doing a damn good job of UV protecting headlights. MUCH better than Spar. And I've also seen better scratch and swirl resistance than Wolfs HB.

Post Thanks / Like

just wanna bring this in here

There is nothing wrong with being old fashioned. And learning from our past is almost the only way to avoid pitfalls in the future, but...once in a while something comes along that changes things. Opti-Coat is one of those things.

First of all, Opti Coat is not a wax or sealant. Our pre polymer resin crosslinks and form silicon carbide aka synthetic diamonds. Opti-Coat doesn't just sit on your paint work like wax or only "bond" to itself like a sealant. It works by bonding to your factory clear coating and becoming a permanent part of your vehicles paint system. Just like the clear coat bonds to the base coat, Opti-Coat bonds chemically to the clear coat.Opti-Coat is not a paint protection wax or sealant that will wash away, or break down over time. Opti-Coat bonds permanently with the factory coating, protecting the surface indefinitely and will not delaminate.

A single layer of Optimum Clear Coating (Pro Version Professionally Applied) measures approximately 2 microns in thickness. When compared to other paint protection products, Opti-Coat is more than 100 times thicker, with tests showing a wax coating measuring less than 0.02 microns.

This allows Opti-Coat to effectively absorb damage that would otherwise affect the factory paint layers. Swirl marks and light scratches are not only decreased by the harder Optimum Ceramic Coating, the factory paint is protected and preserved. Even if you do require polishing down the road, it's nice to know you are only cutting into the coating, which is easily replaceable, than thinning your actual factory paint system.

Opti-Coat is completely resistant to acidic environmental substances such as bird droppings. Unlike your factory clear coating that can be permanently damaged, Opti-Coat will not etch or dissolve when in contact with these substances, and a clean, glossy clear coating is maintained. And, as we all know wax and sealants do very little protection here in the long term. A bird dropping on either would mean another application.

We have even accommodated skeptics with our Lifetime warranty for new car applications and a 5 year warranty on used car applications (Opti-Coat Pro installed by an approved installer) that if the Optimum Clear Coating is unsatisfactory in its performance of protecting the vehicles factory paintwork from oxidation, or damage from bird droppings, bug splatter, tree sap or UV damage, whilst being maintained in accordance with the terms and conditions of this warranty, OPT or its agents will at no cost to the owner repair or clean, and re-#treat the affected area.
    http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...s-after-3.html

Post Thanks / Like

I like the title

I hope its all over the opti not under it

Post Thanks / Like

No matter what you use, bird droppings should be removed right away. After just 4 hours of being on the paint, look what happened.

Post Thanks / Like

I understand and always knew bird poo will damage paint, even if taken off right away. I was putting OC pro to the test on its claims in bird ooo, UV protection, etc. So far it appears it will not stand up to some bird droppings if left on for 3-4 days.

Please understand, when we do this professionally, we tell people certain things when selling a product such as this based on the mfgr claims. I just wanted to shed light on my findings.. I really wish it was above surface but its not.

Post Thanks / Like
    How do you guys advertise Opti Coat? I've been saying "It is advertise as permanent, but it always depends on the situation"

Post Thanks / Like

For profit I've only done 2 full cars, and a carbon fiber hood. I tell them the advantages of the product as stated by the mfgr of course with a disclaimer about lack of maintenance and to stay away from machine washes.

I don't believe that for the average customer, having bird poo on their car for a week is something out of the norm or something that would say they don't maintain their car. Keeping it real, people who buy this want maintenance free. People who are polishing their paint every 6 most don't waste their money on this.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast