autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Need leather conditioner for uncoated, perforated leather

I just installed a set of Clazzio leather seat covers into my daily-driver Prius. Per the manufacturer, these covers have uncoated, perforated leather seating inserts (with vinyl on all other areas).

I am looking for a leather conditioner to use on these seats. Many leather conditioners are of a white lotion like consistency, which could be problematic for the holes on the perforated surfaces.

Can anyone recommend a leather protectant that would be appropriate for uncoated leather, and does not leave white stuff in the holes? Based on my research, the only one that I have found is Meguiars Gold Class Rich Leather Cleaner/Conditioner.

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Need leather conditioner for uncoated, perforated leather

Polish Angel Bellaclean to clean and condition, Charisma to condition. I have tried everything from Lexol to Swissvax and these are my favourite.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, UIGP or Wolfgang Cockpit Trim Sealant are going to be the obvious choices for not leaving anything in the holes. Sonus Leather conditioner is also good.

EDIT: Apparently this is not a good suggestion--see below.

Post Thanks / Like

DONT use wolfgang cockpit sealant or Ultima interior gaurd plus on natural uncoated leather. I ruined a pair of my girlfriends boots with interior gaurd plus... Go with Leather Masters Protection cream. When dealing with perforated holes the technique i always the same. apply the product to a cloth. blot it into the cloth or applicator, then apply. Leather Master protection cream is very liquid and easy to use like this on a MF applicator or towel.

Post Thanks / Like

Conollys Hide Food.....

Scott

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mg6045 View Post
    DONT use wolfgang cockpit sealant or Ultima interior gaurd plus on natural uncoated leather. I ruined a pair of my girlfriends boots with interior gaurd plus... Go with Leather Masters Protection cream. When dealing with perforated holes the technique i always the same. apply the product to a cloth. blot it into the cloth or applicator, then apply. Leather Master protection cream is very liquid and easy to use like this on a MF applicator or towel.
    Thanks. I'll have to research this or Conolly's Hide Food later tonight.

I just read a post over on the Meguiar's forum regarding the 2010 edition of the Gold Class Rich Leather Cleaner/Conditioner products. There are apparently four different products, and only the "pump gel" version (G17914) is appropriate for use on perforated leather. Given the price at Walmart, I may have to check this one out as well:

Gold Class Rich Leather Lotion/Gel/Spray

Post Thanks / Like

OK, I wanted to apply something on the covers right away, so I purchased some Meguiars Gold Class Leather Cleaner/Conditioner gel from WM. The part # is G17914, and it comes in a lotion bottle type dispenser with a pump.

This stuff is clear, so it did not stain the perforated holes. I did two treatments, and the uncoated leather inserts (and the vinyl in the surrounding areas) feel significantly softer. The color is also a bit darker.

I must say that I am fairly impressed with this product, and even more so considering that it was only $6.