autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Faded Paint 91 Saab SPG

Alright here is the Car that I want to bring back to like. I know under all that fading there has to be some great shinny paint. Overall the car is in good shape and I can bring it back to its shine that it once had.

I have been reading the forums and looking at some "how to" videos and going over the stickeys I have a pretty good understanding of what needs to be done. I just purchased the Porter Cable 7424 and right now I’m stuck on what to buy for products. I friend always uses Menzerna for everything and has great results. I was thinking of getting the Intensive Polish and continuing down the line. But then I also saw the Pinnacle XMT line and right now I’m deciding as what I should buy to defeat this cars finish. I'm putting a little money into buying these products and don’t mind spending it but want to make sure that I get what I pay for and will have some positive results in the end. Also I’m a bit confused on all the pads I need and what to buy and restore the black panels.

Well I know I’m a noob but still reading up and figuring this stuff out, if anybody could steer me in the right direction maybe help me with a list that would be awesome or just some advise I would appreciate it.

Thanks,

Dan

Last edited by snow4_1man; 06-01-2007 at 11:12 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hmmm that car has some serious oxidation. You really can't go wrong either of the polishes you've mentioned. They're both fantastic. The XMT has some really good cleaners in it, and the Menzerna is great too. Does this car have a clear coat? You're going to need a pretty heavy polish for that. I'd experiement with the pad/product combos on a test panel til you find what works for you. I'd start with a heavy polish and the orange pad. Good luck.

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to the team!

I think you can definitely bring life back to the paint of that Saab, but I think you'll be dealing with a lot of dead paint.

I would suggest either Menzerna, XMT or Poorboys. I use the latter for my day-to-day polishes and have been very happy with them. I say a few orange pads and some SSR3 or SSR2.5 will do the trick. Finish off on the white pad and SSR1 and it should be looking 200% better!

Looks like a fun project! Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to AGOL. XMT360 and good cutting pad (edge yellow or green) (megs dark red) will take care of it IMO.

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to AutoGEEK, looks like you got some work to do...that vehicle looks bad but for every bad vehicle there is a wicked transformation.

Please post pictures of the results. Good luck and remember have fun detailing that's the best part.

Post Thanks / Like
    Stay here and read. and i guarantee success.........

Post Thanks / Like
    Any polish, especially those you have mentioned, will yield some sort of a benefit. Just remember, what you put in and the amount of steps you take will only give you better results.

All of the products you suggested will be ideal. XMT and SSR are nice lines because you can start very abrasive to cut through that crap oxidation and then follow them up with less abrasive polishes and pads to really make it shine and come to life. XMT and SSR work the same (the higher the number, the more aggressive the polish). Likewise, the colors of LC and CCS pads will be in decending aggression with yellow, orange, white, grey, and finally blue as your least aggressive.

My family has been a Saab family up until recently (2- 900CE Turbos, 2 9000 Turbos, and finally 2 9-3 Sport Sedans). When they are cleaned, they look amazing, so keep this in mind when your working.

If you have any questions, never hesitate to ask. Most of us will type for food! haha, jp, we're here for ya.
    Quote Originally Posted by TexasTB

"If you don't stand behind our troops, then why don't you stand in front of them"

2003 Yamaha R6
    2000 Acura TL -- White Diamond Pearl
    1999 Honda CBR600 F4 - Midnight Black Pearl
    1996 Nissan Maxima -- Pebble Beige (RIP)

Post Thanks / Like
    I predict an amazing change! I think you will be surprised. As others have said Poorboy's or XMT are great product lines that will help you bring the shine back to the Saab. Is the lower black panel painted metal or plastic? If it's plastic I'd recommend some Mother's Back to Black or PB Trim Restorer.

Please post after pictures!

"Dogs in cars again. Going away. Going away fast" - P.D. Eastman, Go, Dog. Go!

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm actually going to have suggest something for the trim that's better than Reddwarf's suggestion. The Back To Black will just run down the side of your car on the first rain. Purchase some Forever Black from the Geek. Its an actual cleaner and dye for the trim that will really give you what you're looking for, if it is plastic that is.
    Quote Originally Posted by TexasTB

"If you don't stand behind our troops, then why don't you stand in front of them"

2003 Yamaha R6
    2000 Acura TL -- White Diamond Pearl
    1999 Honda CBR600 F4 - Midnight Black Pearl
    1996 Nissan Maxima -- Pebble Beige (RIP)