autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Question DIY painting a car? (w/ intro lol)

Hey all you autogeeks out there. I'd like to start by mentioning that I recently totaled my beloved 1997 honda accord...she was so good to me... and only had 98000 miles too! Of course I kept her in impeccable condition, aside from the fact that she had window alignment problems and no a/c that I just decided to live with rather than spend the money to fix. She now needs about $1500 put into bodywork and another $1500 or more because apparently she's leaking oil from the piston seals..either that or the head gasket is blown. I don't know how either of these issues happenned without me noticing (you think I would've noticed stalling, loss of power or anything like that but nope....) so the engine problems are weird to me b/c when I was in my accident the airbags didnt deploy and I can't imagine that engine damage being done then. (We were all okay btw..and the other guys acura integra got out scotch free no damage)

In ANY CASE, I'm now on a very limited budget, under 2k (unless any of you guys want to contribute some cash to my "new to me car fund ) so I found a 1997 nissan maxima se w/ 140k miles whose interior is impeccable and mechanical components are very well taken care of (he has all service records, he's a family friend etc)... unfortunately, there is a bit of rust inside the sunroof and 3 rust spots which are small on the left side of the car. I think overall, for $1600 I'd be getting a great deal though. Someone I know has done body work in the past and suggested he'd help me repaint the car...but me being so anal about my car, him not having done it in awhile, and me never having attempted to paint a car I'm thinking about how good the results will be? Any suggestions on how to remove the rust and paint the car (I want to get the car checked out first to make sure rust isnt eating thru the frame b/c it has been parked in a humid area even tho it was garaged for awhile).

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    It's actually not that hard do your research, but a gun and have a place to shoot it, I did myself in my parents garage with no training and put down a heck of a finish and also find a paint shop near by

Sent from space through a satellite

Post Thanks / Like

Re: DIY painting a car? (w/ intro lol)

Well, as it turns out, I won't be needing to paint the car after all b/c I'm not purchasing it.... it needed new bearings, an a/c compressor, struts, ball joints, brake pads and rotors, and to top it all off, it had an undiagnosed oil leak and was eating oil like a fiend lol.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: DIY painting a car? (w/ intro lol)

I think there was a guy on here that painted his mercedes using a roll on paint. Turned out very good but was a lot of work.