autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Some advice please on Pads, Polish and Duragloss

Hi

First post - been lurking for quite a while. I recently purchased a new vehicle and using some advice from here and another forum, I detailed it with CQuartz. UTTG, PERL after doing an IronX decontamination and claybar / wash.

I guess I got the bug again from doing that, so I recently picked up a Harbor Freight DA and plan to detail our three older vehicles, a grey Volvo, Honda Element and grey VW Jetta.

I had previously taken care of the Volvo fairly well and used the Zaino line for many years from when I first got it - but after 6 years or so did lose interest so haven't done much since then. The other two vehicles my wife / daughter pretty much just took them thru various car washes (yea, i know)

I am not looking for perfection on these (like I was on my new vehicle), nor to eliminate all defects. But i do want to make them look nice. And I was want something long lasting. So after properly washing, ironx decon them, I plan to use the Duragloss 501/601 combo followed by either Duragloss 105 or 111 in combination with 601. But I also do want to correct some various paint defects / scratches before I do that. So 3 questions:

1. What ONE compound or polish would you recommend that i could use to eliminate some noticeable scratches or defects? Again, I am not looking for perfection so I don't want to use 3 products. I just want one product that will be easy for someone who has not used a DA before to apply and make some spot paint corrections

2. What pad do you recommend I use on my DA for the polish and the Duragloss products? I will get a 5.5 inch backing plate for the DA and was planning on Buff & Shine pads but do not know the specific pads I should use.

3. On the Duragloss, after the 501/601 - would you recommend the 111 or 105?

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Some advice please on Pads, Polish and Duragloss

1. What ONE compound or polish would you recommend that i could use to eliminate some noticeable scratches or defects? Again, I am not looking for perfection so I don't want to use 3 products. I just want one product that will be easy for someone who has not used a DA before to apply and make some spot paint corrections.

It sounds like you want a "Cleaner Wax Product( WAx and abrasives mixed into one).

2. What pad do you recommend I use on my DA for the polish and the Duragloss products? I will get a 5.5 inch backing plate for the DA and was planning on Buff & Shine pads but do not know the specific pads I should use.

I recommend to stick with the lake country pads. I'm currently using the Lake Country Hybrid Power and I am loving it. only comes in 6.5 and 5.0 inch

If you decided to go with the 5.5 inch backing plate, your gonna want to get a pad at least 1/2 inch bigger. 6 inch would be ideal if possible. I think 6.5 inch will be too big.

And for types of pads.. I would get 1 polishing pad, 1 finishing pad, and 1 light cutting pad.

For the brand new car the most aggressive pad i would use is the polishing pad. LOL I think lake country has a recommended pad for cleaner waxes :-). Polishing pad will be fine :-)

3. On the Duragloss, after the 501/601 - would you recommend the 111 or 105?

I never used Duragloss before.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Oops. meant to say I will be getting a 5" backing plate so looking at 5.5" pads. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by maverick13 View Post
    Oops. meant to say I will be getting a 5" backing plate so looking at 5.5" pads. Thanks
    This will work find.

Post Thanks / Like
    It's difficult to say. What particular polish works for one finish, might not work on another. In this situation I prefer a medium cut, like Meguiars Swirl X. If I don't get out what I need to in the initial pass, I can usually get with another pass. Ultimate Compound would work in that situation as well.

I like both Hex Logic, and Lake Country CCS pads. Pads can play a role in the equation as well. For example, say you have one polishing product, a light cutting pad, and a polishing pad. You could theoretically assemble a combination suitable to your needs. More polishing action, use the light cutting pad. Less cutting action, use the polishing pad. If I'm using the Hex Logic, I like the green pad with my compound, and the blue with my polish. Lake Country's CCS line is a bit different. I prefer the orange pad for compound and the white or green for polishing. I have a few of each.

As for the Duragloss, I haven't used the bonding agent yet. I've used the 501, 101, & 111 with results beyond my expectations! 111 is my favorite sealant.

Post Thanks / Like

My Subaru is satin white pearl. I used to use Z-AIO topped with Z2pro, both by hand. Now I use DG 501/601 with a white 5.5 in LC flat followed by DG 111/601 by hand.

Post Thanks / Like

IMO an AIO is a smart move for your first attempt at machine polishing--less chance to get into trouble. For my first "machine polishing" on my Passat I used an AIO (HD Speed) and Buff & Shine pads--excellent pads with recessed velcro. VW paint is hard and my test spot indicated I needed orange pads. My paint had never been polished since new but was in good shape--took 4-6 passes at speed 6 on my Griots with firm pressure. You need at least four pads per step to play it safe--alternate pads so they don't overheat--clean on the fly often.

I think you'd be better off with at least an AIO a little more aggresive than 501.

IMO DG 105 offers a better look and better protection for water spots and bird bombs than 111--I get 5-6 months out of a 601/105 layer.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the input everyone