autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: recommend against newbies using rotary buffer?

I think a rotary with a Dynabrade head would be a great tool for people just starting out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh cool, I have never heard of a Dynabrade till now.

Wish I had this back then lol

http://youtu.be/6rCWBPemHMg

Post Thanks / Like

Someone mentioned the Flex 3401 as sort of a hybrid of the two types earlier. The orbial action would help reduce the risk of creating holograms (and I'm saying reduce, not eliminate ) is that right? If I can only get one product right now, any other opinions on choosing that one as a starter?

edit: just noticed the dynabrade comment as well. Only gave a quick look so far, that solution sounds similar to the flex (direct drive, but orbital action as well) correct?

Post Thanks / Like

I bought the griots 6"..... right before it went on sale -.-

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by manman View Post

Someone mentioned the Flex 3401 as sort of a hybrid of the two types earlier. The orbial action would help reduce the risk of creating holograms (and I'm saying reduce, not eliminate ) is that right?

Holograms are a very specific type of swirl or "scratch pattern" inflicted into paint by a rotary buffer, no other tool as the pattern is caused in part by the singular rotating action of the pad against the paint.

ANY DA or dual action "type" polisher can leave DA Haze or Micro-Marring in the paint when used with the wrong pad or sub-standard abrasive technology and this micro-marring or DA Haze can and will show up in "patterns" in the paint but this is still very different than holograms.

Here's two articles on this topic and I cover it in my how-to book also...

The difference between Rotary Buffer Swirls, Cobweb Swirls and Micro-Marring

Tracers Tracers - RIDS - Pigtails - Cobweb Swirls - Rotary Buffer Swirls - Holograms - Water Spots - Bird Drooping Etchings - Micro-Marring

Quote Originally Posted by manman View Post

If I can only get one product right now, any other opinions on choosing that one as a starter?

What type of detailing do you plan on doing, this will answer your question.

1. Only your car?
    2. Detailing for money?

If detailing for money, do you plan on doing daily drivers or show cars?

See this article,

How to use a one-step cleaner/wax to maximize profits

Post Thanks / Like
    Does anybody have a link on how to avoid holograms using a rotary?

My cousin avoids them using his method after damp sanding (new paint)

Black cars for me where a big mission for me because of Holograms lol

(Only had a Dewalt, wool pad and black foam pad) that was it... Asking for more, I would have gotten a back hand "smack!"

(Kidding)

Just wondering what other tips are out there

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    What type of detailing do you plan on doing, this will answer your question.

1. Only your car?
    2. Detailing for money?

If detailing for money, do you plan on doing daily drivers or show cars?
    )
    Ah, ok I didn't know that about holograms. I will be detailing my own car- not a daily driver, more like a weekend driver. Jet black so pretty much shows everything. Doesn't need to be car show perfect, but I want to put in the time to keep it swirl/haze free as much as possible. Looking for a good balance between ease of use (i.e. learning curve) and time efficiency.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AeroCleanse View Post
    I think a rotary with a Dynabrade head would be a great tool for people just starting out.
    I have the Dynabrade Polisher wth their Random Orbital Head. It is a beast. 3/4" stroke and the standard BP is 8". The machine weighs in @ 12.5 lbs. It is the heaviest machine I own. It is also one of the easiest to operate. It will accept a 6" DA BP so you can use smaller pads too. The Head alone costs $ 129 from Dynabrade online store, abrasivedge.com. The head weighs 3 lbs but is AMAZING! I ordered a second head to use on a lighter rotary.
    My name is Jim and I am an Old Auburn Tiger.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Old Tiger View Post
    I have the Dynabrade Polisher wth their Random Orbital Head. It is a beast. 3/4" stroke and the standard BP is 8". The machine weighs in @ 12.5 lbs. It is the heaviest machine I own. It is also one of the easiest to operate. It will accept a 6" DA BP so you can use smaller pads too. The Head alone costs $ 129 from Dynabrade online store, abrasivedge.com. The head weighs 3 lbs but is AMAZING! I ordered a second head to use on a lighter rotary.
    Lot less vibration than a DA alone, at least my unit is, which is a 61384

Post Thanks / Like
    Manman you are better off getting a DA alone. A griotts garage 6 inch DA will be perfect for you along with a 5inch backing plate and some 5.5 inch pads. This is basically what im using on my own car. I have the Kestrel which is the European equivalent of the GG 6".

Once youve gotten rid of the swirls, youd need to use good washing and drying techniques to maintain the finish as long as possible.

If you plan to detail others cars for a living, you are better off getting a heavy duty Flex / Rupes DA and a rotary for those especially hard clear coats. If you wish to go for rotary, get a scrap black painted panel and spend hours practising on it. Know how much arm movement you need, how many passes etc and other techniques. Familiarise yourself with the machine, so that chances of doing a mistake on your or customers car is very less.

Autogeek is now having a closeout sale on Griots garage products and now seems to be the best time to get their machines plus their liftime warranty gives you headache free ownership.

Hope this helps.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast