autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Question How to keep exhaust tips clean between polishings

About 3 times a year I will clean and polish my exhaust tips with P21s Polishing Soap and then follow it up with either Menzerna Polishing Cream or Simichrome. Then, I seal them with either Sonus Aluminum Sealant or sometimes Carpro Dlux.

How would I keep them clean and shiny between polishings? After a wash or two they get a bit cloudy. What can I do after each wash session to prevent this?

Should I use a waterless wash like UWW+ on them? I hear some people use glass cleaner but I think that might remove the protection?

Thanks,
    Drew
    2003 Midnight Black Pearl WRX (Cobb AP stg 2) - Daily
    1993 Vintage Red RX-7 Twin Turbo (stock, 18,500 miles) - Sunday
    ~Drew

Post Thanks / Like

Re: How to keep exhaust tips clean between polishings

Wondering the same thing, I use the polishing soap also it works great. but how do you get the black tar looking stuff off I can't seem to get it off with the soap?
    \Rafael/
    Infiniti G35

Post Thanks / Like

Throw a coat of sealant on them. You don't need anything special. I don't go for the whole metal protection products. I don't want more products on my supply shelves I want less. I use PS21 polishing soap as well does a great job. Then clean them again with a PH neutral wheel cleaner when you wash your car. You should be good. Aluminum sealant may or may not do anything for chrome. I do a couple of bikes once a year. They are garage queens so never need much love. A little polishing soap and a sealant on the chrome done. If you want to get crazy. I think it's top coat makes a hi temp paste wax. you can just google Hi temp car wax. It may just be the sealants you are using are just burning off.
    inDetail, "It's all in the details."

Post Thanks / Like

BTW- The other option is rubbing compound and #0000 steel wool on chrome ONLY to remove carbon build up. Some bolt on over tailpipe tips may have a clear coat on them so test it under the tip and see. My exhaust is full stainless steel. Good old junk rubbing compound from andy AP store and steel wool takes everything out of my tip. Be prepared to do a lot of polishing to get the surface scratch free. Usually the #0000 and a rubbing compound is good enough to remove fine scratches and make them shiny and finish out scratch free pretty much. You could even follow up with a metal polish and #0000 if you want to refine the surface even more. Usually metal polishes are pretty fine abrasives and don't cut much IMO. I think BF makes metal polishes for aluminum only in different grades.
    inDetail, "It's all in the details."

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Drew...

Would you please refresh this old-guy's memory...
    -Of what 'metal' are your tips?
    -What are you using as your wash-soap/shampoo/detergent?
    (Could it also be/causing clouding-up on other surfaces of your vehicle?)

For in-between cleaning/polishing sessions on SS and Chrome-plated exhaust system components:
    -Since there is usually some moisture that will accumulate in and around the tips-areas...
    I keep a couple of dedicated thick white terry towels for a quick wipe-down when I'm going to be stopped
    for any considerable time-interval...and/or getting back home.
    (A little dab of glass-cleaner increases "moisture-level", if needed...See below)

-YES!!...I'm one of those folks that is known to use a glass cleaner product (My choice is: Sprayway # 050)
    when I deem it's necessary for in-between cleaning/"touching-up" on Chrome/SS.
    Haven't noticed any ill effects on these metals...or Simichrome.
    (Makes the next P21S-type: Exhaust-tip-cleaning-sessions, as well as the next Simichromings, so much easier.)

And...I guess it's because I'm an old-school-guy:
    I don't seal-up 'passivation'.

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

I don't have any long term results yet, but I did OC2.0 my exhaust tips 3 months ago. The car is catless and they are a breeze to clean and still as shiny as the day I coated them. I just use the light duty wheel cleaner I normally do (alkaline but non-caustic). While I'm cleaning my wheels I make a quick stop at the exhaust tips with an exhaust dedicated E-Z detail brush.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FUNX725 View Post
    Hi Drew...

Would you please refresh this old-guy's memory...
    -Of what 'metal' are your tips?
    -What are you using as your wash-soap/shampoo/detergent?
    (Could it also be/causing clouding-up on other surfaces of your vehicle?)

For in-between cleaning/polishing sessions on SS and Chrome-plated exhaust system components:
    -Since there is usually some moisture that will accumulate in and around the tips-areas...
    I keep a couple of dedicated thick white terry towels for a quick wipe-down when I'm going to be stopped
    for any considerable time-interval...and/or getting back home.
    (A little dab of glass-cleaner increases "moisture-level", if needed...See below)

-YES!!...I'm one of those folks that is known to use a glass cleaner product (My choice is: Sprayway # 050)
    when I deem it's necessary for in-between cleaning/"touching-up" on Chrome/SS.
    Haven't noticed any ill effects on these metals...or Simichrome.
    (Makes the next P21S-type: Exhaust-tip-cleaning-sessions, as well as the next Simichromings, so much easier.)

And...I guess it's because I'm an old-school-guy:
    I don't seal-up 'passivation'.

Bob
    Hi Bob! In my family's fleet, we have both stainless steel and one set of what I believe to be chrome plated tips.

I use all kinds of wash shampoos as I like to try different ones. I use Gold Class, Sonex, Optimum, 3D Pink soap, etc. But, I believe you are right in that the shampoos are leaving some residue and causing some clouding. Maybe I will try the least aggressive route first and use some Ultima Waterless Wash on them.

I have one glass cleaner that contains no ammonia and one that has no ammonia or alcohol. Would those do as good as Sprayway if they are void of those ingredients? I see that Sprayway has no ammonia either.
    2003 Midnight Black Pearl WRX (Cobb AP stg 2) - Daily
    1993 Vintage Red RX-7 Twin Turbo (stock, 18,500 miles) - Sunday
    ~Drew

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WRXINXS View Post
    Hi Bob! In my family's fleet, we have both stainless steel and one set of what I believe to be chrome plated tips.

I use all kinds of wash shampoos as I like to try different ones. I use Gold Class, Sonex, Optimum, 3D Pink soap, etc. But, I believe you are right in that the shampoos are leaving some residue and causing some clouding. Maybe I will try the least aggressive route first and use some Ultima Waterless Wash on them.

I have one glass cleaner that contains no ammonia and one that has no ammonia or alcohol. Would those do as good as Sprayway if they are void of those ingredients? I see that Sprayway has no ammonia either.
    Drew...

IMO...
    -Good idea to start an elimination process, with your car-wash shampoos, to hopefully find:
    The clouding-culprit, or culprits, as the case may be.

-Your glass-cleaners should be fine.
    I just like the way that Sprayway's "foaming action": Clings. (Especially on decorative-chrome wheels.)

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Audios S6 View Post
    I don't have any long term results yet, but I did OC2.0 my exhaust tips 3 months ago. The car is catless and they are a breeze to clean and still as shiny as the day I coated them. I just use the light duty wheel cleaner I normally do (alkaline but non-caustic). While I'm cleaning my wheels I make a quick stop at the exhaust tips with an exhaust dedicated E-Z detail brush.
    yup - OC 2.0...mine are a breeze to clean..I cleaned them up with Borla exhaust polish, wiped with IPA and then 2 coats of OC 2....
    Glen -

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Bob, I use Never Dull metal polish on mine. It cuts through all the dirt and salt on our roads, and buffs easy, leaves a thin coating.