autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Is this a good price?????

Ok so a good buddy of mine is paying me to detail his truck (Black Metallic 2010 GMC Sierra 4 door). At first he wanted me to compound and polish his truck to get rid of holograms left by a un-experienced rotory buffer user, he was going to give me $200 to do it. I thought that was fair since he was a good friend. Well I spoke to him last night an now all he wants is a "wash and wax" and says he will give me $100. Price is still fine for me, just wondering what y'alls thoughts are on it?

Here is my process I plan on using for his truck:

Wheels: (22" GM Black Replica's)
    CG Diablo Gel 1:1
    Agitated with Daytona Speed Brush Jr.
    Tires scrubbed with stiff brush
    Dress with Griots Garage Tire Shine
    Coat rims with Blacklight.

Wheel Wells:
    CG Diable Gel 1:1
    Scrubbed with fender brush

Paint:
    Wash with Two Bucket Method (Blackfire Shampoo)
    Sea Sponge

Wax:
    Coat of Chemical Guys Blacklight
    Coat of Pinnacle Souveran
    Top with Hybrid V7

I have done alot of work on this truck for my buddy. I've pulled the whole interior out and installed a boston acoustic sound system, lowered the back of the truck, installed HIDs, installed K&N cold air intake, and other things that I'm forgetting. Its a very nice truck and wish he would let me polish it an make it look its best but I did the sound system install for free and don't wanna do a compound and buff pro bono lol

Thanks for any replies I get..

(I'm kinda having detailing withdrawls because my cars been in the shop for the past two weeks getting the hit and run damage fixed so im really looking forward to getting to clean this truck)

Post Thanks / Like
    Shouldn't V7 be 2nd with pinnacle being last? I thought synthetic products couldn't bond to caranuba?

100$ for a quick wash and wax sound good. I'd love to see some pictures of the truck, sound like a badass truck.
    Sent from my SCH-I535 using AG Online
    Chase
    Mine: 2017 GMC Sierra SLT Z71, 6.2L Crew Cab
    Hers: 2016 Ford Escape Titanium 2.0 EcoBoost

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Is this a good price?????

Price is low for correction work but given he is a friend it's not bad. You could always do a small test spot with a 50/50 to show him what it could look like.

Washing it the doing the glaze/ wax will make it look great. It's hard to keep daily drivers looking swirl free. Post up some pics.
    Semper Fi
    Ralph

Post Thanks / Like

If your doing this for a living like me I give friends a deal but I still need to make money. If your doing for a living then its really up to how much you want from him.

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Re: Is this a good price?????

Quote Originally Posted by chris.ganucheau View Post
    Ok so a good buddy of mine is paying me to detail his truck (Black Metallic 2010 GMC Sierra 4 door). At first he wanted me to compound and polish his truck to get rid of holograms left by a un-experienced rotory buffer user, he was going to give me $200 to do it. I thought that was fair since he was a good friend. Well I spoke to him last night an now all he wants is a "wash and wax" and says he will give me $100. Price is still fine for me, just wondering what y'alls thoughts are on it?

Here is my process I plan on using for his truck:

Wheels: (22" GM Black Replica's)
    CG Diablo Gel 1:1
    Agitated with Daytona Speed Brush Jr.
    Tires scrubbed with stiff brush
    Dress with Griots Garage Tire Shine
    Coat rims with Blacklight.

Wheel Wells:
    CG Diable Gel 1:1
    Scrubbed with fender brush

Paint:
    Wash with Two Bucket Method (Blackfire Shampoo)
    Sea Sponge

Wax:
    Coat of Chemical Guys Blacklight
    Coat of Pinnacle Souveran
    Top with Hybrid V7

I have done alot of work on this truck for my buddy. I've pulled the whole interior out and installed a boston acoustic sound system, lowered the back of the truck, installed HIDs, installed K&N cold air intake, and other things that I'm forgetting. Its a very nice truck and wish he would let me polish it an make it look its best but I did the sound system install for free and don't wanna do a compound and buff pro bono lol

Thanks for any replies I get..

(I'm kinda having detailing withdrawls because my cars been in the shop for the past two weeks getting the hit and run damage fixed so im really looking forward to getting to clean this truck)

To me a wash and wax is just that. Why are you planning all that work. Wash and put a coat of food sealant, like Blackfire or Wolfgangs on.

Why all the fuss for a $100, unless this guy is a great freind.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chase.Barnett View Post
    Shouldn't V7 be 2nd with pinnacle being last? I thought synthetic products couldn't bond to caranuba?

100$ for a quick wash and wax sound good. I'd love to see some pictures of the truck, sound like a badass truck.
    Sent from my SCH-I535 using AG Online
    Well Ive heard alot of people putting a wax inbetween the blacklight and v7 and getting great results. Ive also done it before and gotten great results and still being durable.

I will post pictures when I get the truck. What would you recommend to use?

Quote Originally Posted by rmagnus View Post
    Price is low for correction work but given he is a friend it's not bad. You could always do a small test spot with a 50/50 to show him what it could look like.

Washing it the doing the glaze/ wax will make it look great. It's hard to keep daily drivers looking swirl free. Post up some pics.
    Yea hes a good friend and has helped me out alot also. Yea he said he just wants a wash and wax but being hes helped me out alot Im going to go the extra mile and put a glaze on it and make it look as good as possible. It is a daily driver and he works in a plant, has his own office so hes not using the truck to work.

Quote Originally Posted by Pureshine View Post
    If your doing this for a living like me I give friends a deal but I still need to make money. If your doing for a living then its really up to how much you want from him.
    I don't do this for a living, I have a high respect for you all that do this for a living. I am kinda detail starved so im looking forward to getting my hands on it. Its a great looking truck and being properly cleaned would make it look so much better.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by slimnib View Post
    To me a wash and wax is just that. Why are you planning all that work. Wash and put a coat of food sealant, like Blackfire or Wolfgangs on.

Why all the fuss for a $100, unless this guy is a great freind.
    There is no fuss........ I was just curious as to what y'all thought about the price. I am planning all that work because my cars been in the shop and I haven't been able to clean anything in two weeks

Post Thanks / Like
    I wouldn't do all those exterior steps for a 100. I'd do a sealant followed by a Spray Wax. A 100 isn't enough for a truck like that, friend or no friend.
    CURRENT: Happily Retired
    PAST: Owner at Clean N' Shiny, Chicago Auto Pros

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Is your 'friend' helping you in all of this? Just ask because it sounds like he keeps coming to YOU to make HIS truck worth more money. Just that YOU are not making ANY money along the way. Friends will do that to you if you let them. Been there, done that! (Actually in March I did a multi-step on a friends Lexus, but he helped. Actually he GRIPED the entire time about why anyone would do such a thing!) At the end of it all he got a $495 exterior job done for $75 and a home cooked steak dinner. So yep, I know what its like to have 'friends' want you to do work for them.

Wash and wax for $100 should be just that. Do a really good job on the wheels, fender wells, etc. then decon the paint (clay or Nanoskin) and go from there. Wouldn't worry about a liquid or paste either. Just hit it with a decent spray sealer/wax like Duragloss 951 and Meguiar's 156 or the OTC version Megs Ultimate Spray Wax. The first two will provide a great slickness and shine to boot! (Not that USW doesn't, just that I think the others 'feel' better.) OTOH you could do ULW as its pretty good, or any other sealant if you just want to go the extra mile.

Bottom line is don't get caught up in trying to do ANY PAINT CORRECTION. He doesn't want it, and may be like my 'friend' and either can't see it, or doesn't give a rats arse if he can see it. What you MAY do is whip out a test spot, (on the back) and show him just how good it CAN look. (For that matter... if you really want to get at him, do a test spot on the door, or HOOD so that every time he gets in the truck he sees it. If that don't get him nothing will.)

Post Thanks / Like
    Haha that is just mean cardaddy haha 😂 (calling you daddy is pretty disturbing so I am going with CarFather lol)

Spray glaze came to mind again after reading this spray glaze would be so easy.

But even if it was a friends truck I'd still up the price for a spray glaze "option" then after the glaze you could top with a spray sealant/wax option.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast