autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Black paint experts opinions please!

Hello my name is Jim and I have creeped this forum for awhile back around 2007-10 but got out of cars and finally picked up another Z car. I bought this 2007 Nismo 350Z couple weeks ago and its in the process of being rescued. The previous owners allowed it to obtain 6 door dings and 1 door scuff thats getting repaired next week.
    I recently went over and clay bared the whole car..glazed and sealed it...but even tho it feels like glass the imperfections are killing me. Noticing swirls and light scratches from brushes all over the place. I have been looking into the Whiplash kit but wanted opinions from other detail nuts. I'm the kind of guy that can just sit and stair at a black car for hours when clean.

But hope to hear some good feedback even tips.

The paint-

The car-

Previous Nissans

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Black paint experts opinions please!

Nice Z!

I'm assuming you plan to tackle this job with some sort of DA polisher. If this is the case I highly recommend the Meg's DA microfiber correction system (pads and D300 polish). Some defects may require a stronger compound like M105 or M101 (or simply more time with D300). Finish out with M205 (or a finishing polish of your choice) and a foam pad to remove any DA haze and you will be set.

Note: there is more than one way to skin a cat... likewise there are several quality products available to remove paint defects. I'm just partial to Meg's and very familiar with M105/D300/M205 capabilities so am comfortable recommending them.
    Nicholas Scafidi - CQuartz Finest Authorized Installer
    www.autowerxdetailing.com Auto Detailing in Sherwood, OR
    Like us on Facebook | Follow us on Twitter

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice Car!

Funny, your looking for advice and we are all going to give different answers. First, you will need a DA. Honestly, if you can afford it, (and it was me) I would just get the whole Rupes system: machine, pads, polishes and be done with it.

That system wasn't around in the USA when I bought my DAs, but its pretty well loved and seems user friendly. If cash is an issue (it usually is), I would get a Griots DA, Lake Country CCS (or Flat) pads, and Optimum or Wolfgang Polishes.

Microfiber pads cut fast, but there is a learning curve and they may not finish as well as foam on black paint in the hands of a new DA user. You need to keep MF very clean and "fluffed" and foam is a bit more forgiving. Also, since your new and working on your own car, slow and cautious may be a good way to go. But, Megiuars does have a microfiber "system" (pads and polishes) that does simplify what to buy.

I think Optimum and Wolfgang (Menzerna) polishes may be a bit more user friendly and have more work time / less dust for a new guy than Megiuars. But really there is a million combos you can use, more comes down to good technique and Rupes seems to even have minimized that.

You will need good towels, something to clean pads with, a waterless wash or detail spray to wipe panels down with, a selection of pads in different cuts (and likely sizes), and a pad cleaning brush

After you fix it, you'll have to maintain it right so it doesn't get scratched up again. Everything you need they sell here, wait for a sale.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a ton of stuff and dewalt buffer. Nissan paints are really soft snd always worrys me of burn thru with some compounds. I have always used Mothers yellow clay and showtime detailer. I have used the Turtle Wax black boxes before. It does a good job on hiding imperfections but thats it...hiding..I have used Menzerna products before and honestly wasnt that big on it. Where the Z isnt a big car and has alot of smaller surfaces I have also looked into the Meguiars 4" DA drill system. Anyone have knowledge of using the Blackfire wax also?

Post Thanks / Like

I am by no means an expert but I did just do a full detail on my black F150. I used a Porter Cable 7424xp and Wolfgang Total swirl remover, finishing glaxe, and paint sealant. I then topped it off with Collinite 845. In my opinion it came out great!!! Someone just posted that they saw a black car in a show topped with Pinnacle soveran. Said it was the best looking black car they have seen. I think I will try that next. Just my 2 cents!!

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Mp really can see the difference in that F150! Good looking truck...I have heard of the Sourven wax from Pinnacle and have heard its great also.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm in Hurricane if you ever want help. I have plenty of stuff that can tackle that car with ease. 3 DA's, plenty of pads - microfiber, foam, CarPro Cool Pads, Surbuf, Meguiar's M105, M101, M100, M205, HD Cut, HD Uno, HD Adapt, HD Polish. I can also provide references & plenty of pictures.
    "Challenge yourself to live a better tomorrow than you did yesterday"

Post Thanks / Like

I am also the only authorized CarPro CQuartz Finest and Optimum Pro Coatings installer in the state at this time.
    "Challenge yourself to live a better tomorrow than you did yesterday"

Post Thanks / Like

If your looking at the house brand waxes. On a black car I would suggest black fire black ice! I did a spring cleaning on my car a few months ago, just a quick one step followed by wet glaze 2.0, blackfire wet diamond, and lastly blackfire blackice it is truly mind blowing still looks amazing like the first day I applied it and beads like a charm. That is why I have to recommend those on a black car!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Btw sweet z, its nice to see a fellow Nissan enthusiast on here. Your previous g reminds me of mine !!!
    \Rafael/
    Infiniti G35

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast