autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Help me choose pads

Hey guys first off thank all u 4 all the help and kindness.
    After AG's sale I'm on a tight budget for a bit. But i need new pads. Mostly cutting and polishing. Most of my work is from a dealer. But other jobs usually require compounding.
    I've been using Lake countries CCS pads. I've got the yellow orange white and a few of the red ones I never use I also have been using the micro fiber Cutting Pads a lot for compound and polish. I've been using the same pads for a while now and need some new ones since these r going on 3 months old.

Here's what I need help with I need a pad that is good for production detailing that will hopefully last a good bit longer then the ones I have. I'm wondering if the microfiber pads if I could just get a few of those and use the cutting disc for compound and polish and the finishing pad for course finishing.
    I've also looked at these micro finger pads called surbuf they seem to be a good bit cheaper and I'm wondering could I use those for compound and polish. Also foam pads of course what would be the best ones to get for longevity and price.
    If foam is the best choice for longevity them which ones should I get flat CCS or hydro tech. I'm trying to keep the cost down as much as possible.
    The Orange and white ones have done good so far for aio and the white has been good for polish to. But should i chose something else for polish something a bit softer maybe?

Please help me decide what type of pad foam (What type and colors) mf pads, or surbuf. If course i know i will need a few foams for a better finish, but what color and type?

What would be the best choice cost wise and for the life of the pad?
    Thank u for any input..

Sent from my SCH-L710 using AG Online

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Help me choose pads

What polisher are you using?
    Official Detailing Team Member of Air Force One
    Flex 3401 / Flex PE8 / Rupes 21 / G110v2 / GG6" / Rupes 75E / GG3"
    Click and Like my Facebook Page

Post Thanks / Like

Microfiber pads are the bomb, but if you want to go a tad cheaper sense your on a "budget" and still get an outlasting pad go with meguiars soft buff, I had mine for over four years now and they still work as good as the day I purchased them. Those pads are well worth the money and good for those detailers on a budget they only come in around $9.00-$10.50

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm using the pc.

So your saying i should use megs mf cutting pads for polish and compound. And get their soft buff for finishing?

Any other input

Post Thanks / Like

The hydro tech pads and the hybrid pads are among the most popular as of late. The microfiber pads are great but they do require a learning curve and need to be cleaned. If your doing production the a polishing pad will be fine for you. You can get the Meg's soft buff pads but the are 7 inches which is larger than most pads. For the pc if u have a 5 inch BP then I would go with either the hydro techs or even the flat pads.

Are you using an AIO?

Post Thanks / Like
    Most of the time i use megs d151. I been using the mf pads and i love them. The cutting disc is used all the time. I know they are good for polish and some compounds. I even use them some times with the d151. For dealership work it looks good. But i have been getting allot of 2 and 3 step customer jobs lately and just would like to have separate pads for customers vs dealership.
    So I'm looking for the best choice in pads for production right now. Mostly used for aio or polish.
    But would also need something i could use to compound with to.

So since I'm good with mf pads would they be the best choice for me in a budget (the cutting disc) for aio polish and compound.. 3 jobs one pad. And get a foam for finishing like on customer jobs?
    If so is there a better mf pad than megs as far as price life span and cut?
    And for finishing what would be the best option? Considering budget and my goal for them to last a long time (with proper cleaning of course).
    What brand or style and what color?

Post Thanks / Like

akj, that sounds like a plan honestly like you said it's best to seperate customer buffing pads used on projects with there cars and use your own on like your car ect.. I would go with what you listed above most definetely.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by the deta View Post
    akj, that sounds like a plan honestly like you said it's best to seperate customer buffing pads used on projects with there cars and use your own on like your car ect.. I would go with what you listed above most definetely.
    Ok so forget the surbuf pads? And get what listed, but what do i get for foam? What brand, What style (flat, ccs, hydro), and what colors? Say for a 6 pack of them? Keeping in mind I'm looking for low price and as long as a life as possible with a lower price?

Also i would like to have a few more agressive foam polishing pads to polish very light spider webs on my car.
    I don't mind only using 1 or two pads for that and just cleaning after every other section i won't be In no rush in mine.
    Or would mf pads be if even for that to just with the right technique and polish?

Mostly what foam pads should i get if i go with what i said above if i get a 6 pack?

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Bump.. any info on what foam pads to get since I'll be doing all the compound and polish with mf pads?

Post Thanks / Like

Honestly you might want to get a few different pads so you can see what each feels like and what you like. The ones you end up liking you can keep and the ones you don't you could always put them up for trade and trade for what you do like.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast