autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

store pads for overnight/next day sessions

I don't always have more than an hour or two at times to polish my vehicle. Maybe a panel a day sometimes. Is it safe to spritz the pad with water after a session and store it in a ziploc bag overnight for use the next day or will I really need to start with a fresh pad every day??

Post Thanks / Like

Re: store pads for overnight/next day sessions

What pads are you using MF pads or foam?

Post Thanks / Like

Yea a zip lock bag slightly open to breath is fine. You should clean the pad on the fly first. Of course it's always best to use a clean pad. Just buy 4-5 and you'll always have a fresh pad to use.
    Semper Fi
    Ralph

Post Thanks / Like

I have major time constraints as well. Starting a new day is a great excuse for me to break out a new pad. I would use two per panel if I had someone to clean them for me

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Be very VERY careful though storing any foam pad with moisture in it, in an enclosed bag. They'll setup mold fairly quick in warm weather. I even had a couple of 5½" flat yellows that were brand new, (only used lightly on a test spot) that didn't get dried out good back in January that grew mold inside of them. (The bin got closed and I forgot about them and they ended up between/and under other pads.) I didn't realize they were like that for a couple of MONTHS! (Because they were yellow and I don't use those that much.)

fwiw, they cleaned out well (still have stains) but work just fine.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pureshine View Post
    What pads are you using MF pads or foam?
    Lake Country Hydro pads

Quote Originally Posted by rmagnus View Post
    Yea a zip lock bag slightly open to breath is fine. You should clean the pad on the fly first. Of course it's always best to use a clean pad. Just buy 4-5 and you'll always have a fresh pad to use.
    Is less about just the cleaning (although I can't really justify 8 of the same pad right now) and more about the amount of material I'd be using to prime the pad each time I break out a new one. For example, raining today and tomorrow so I'm still waiting for weather and time to finish what I've started.

Quote Originally Posted by cardaddy View Post
    Be very VERY careful though storing any foam pad with moisture in it, in an enclosed bag. They'll setup mold fairly quick in warm weather. I even had a couple of 5½" flat yellows that were brand new, (only used lightly on a test spot) that didn't get dried out good back in January that grew mold inside of them. (The bin got closed and I forgot about them and they ended up between/and under other pads.) I didn't realize they were like that for a couple of MONTHS! (Because they were yellow and I don't use those that much.)

fwiw, they cleaned out well (still have stains) but work just fine.
    Haha. Yeah, I wouldn't be waiting that long. Primarily from day to day. Maybe a couple of days at the most depending on the weather. Ultimately, having a garage would make my life so much easier.

Post Thanks / Like

Just a thought...Try putting them/it into a baggie, 'zip' it shut and place it in the freezer. I did that one time, next day all was good.

Any damage you wife may place upon your body, you're on your own there. Mine was NOT at all happy. That's what I only did it once (geeze, which is more important-green beans or foam pads...LOL).

Bill

Post Thanks / Like

I keep all my waxes in the fridge the only conflict is she wants the fridge colder and I keep saying no my waxes are in there.
    inDetail, "It's all in the details."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by inDetail View Post
    I keep all my waxes in the fridge the only conflict is she wants the fridge colder and I keep saying no my waxes are in there.
    What's the advantage to that? Reason I ask is that I still have an old dorm room style fridge that I could always use for that type of thing.

Post Thanks / Like

It keeps the wax temp stable. Natural oils don't dry up. The main part is that when it's cold it's much harder that way when you swipe your applicator across the wax to apply you are getting less wax on the applicator forcing you to put on thin coats.
    A small fridge would be great as long as the temp is above freezing. I put all mine in a zip lock bag and that's all.
    inDetail, "It's all in the details."