autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Maintaining a fresh detail job

Hi All,

I hope I'm in the right place? I just had my car detailed using a multi-step process removing swirls and putting a sealant on that lasts 6-8 months. The professional detail job was a one time financial splurge and I would like to maintain this look as a DIY'er with minimal time so in 6 months would I use my own DA polisher and an AIO or would I just apply a finishing sealant like mequiars #21 or similar?

Since I only have the time to do one or two diy detail jobs a year, if an AIO is the way to go, which one provides the most "bang for the buck" and provides protection that'll last another 6 months or so?

I would like to maintain my wife's car that is currently 6 months old and has minimal defects currently. So maybe I should do an AIO for her car and a finishing sealant for mine?

Thanks for the feedback.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Maintaining a fresh detail job

Quote Originally Posted by LutzD79 View Post
    Hi All,

I hope I'm in the right place? I just had my car detailed using a multi-step process removing swirls and putting a sealant on that lasts 6-8 months. The professional detail job was a one time financial splurge and I would like to maintain this look as a DIY'er with minimal time so in 6 months would I use my own DA polisher and an AIO or would I just apply a finishing sealant like mequiars #21 or similar?

Since I only have the time to do one or two diy detail jobs a year, if an AIO is the way to go, which one provides the most "bang for the buck" and provides protection that'll last another 6 months or so?

I would like to maintain my wife's car that is currently 6 months old and has minimal defects currently. So maybe I should do an AIO for her car and a finishing sealant for mine?

Thanks for the feedback.
    Well your washing and dry technique are going to be key in keeping your car looking its best. Using the proper tools and techniques in was like the two bucket method with a microfiber wash mitt and good soap that has a balences pH level and the use of the grit guards in the buckets.

For dying you will want to us ring the pooling or sheeting method with the hose to get as much water off as possible then follow with a quality microfiber waffle weave drying towel to bloat dry the remaining water.

Then after drying you can follow up with a spray wax or quick detailer to maintain the shine of the vehicle.
    Official Detailing Team Member of Air Force One
    Flex 3401 / Flex PE8 / Rupes 21 / G110v2 / GG6" / Rupes 75E / GG3"
    Click and Like my Facebook Page

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Evan.J View Post
    Well your washing and dry technique are going to be key in keeping your car looking its best. Using the proper tools and techniques in was like the two bucket method with a microfiber wash mitt and good soap that has a balences pH level and the use of the grit guards in the buckets.

For dying you will want to us ring the pooling or sheeting method with the hose to get as much water off as possible then follow with a quality microfiber waffle weave drying towel to bloat dry the remaining water.

Then after drying you can follow up with a spray wax or quick detailer to maintain the shine of the vehicle.
    Good point..I was thinking after the car washes ect. I will either be doing optimum no rinse or when I have additional time using Mequiars Gold Class car shampoo with microfiber towels and either waffle weave drying towel or leaf blower if I want my neighbors to think I'm crazy

Luckily I already own the items mentioned above and won't have to purchase anything new, however, i don't own any sealants or AIOs for the next stage of the game.

Post Thanks / Like

If you want the shine....and something easy.....get some black fire crystal seal and use it about once a month after you wash and dry the car with the above mentioned routine. Quick and easy...takes less than ten minutes....adds shine and protection.

Post Thanks / Like

If you want sealant you can get DP poli-seal on BOGO right now. Also Wolfgang deep gloss paint sealant is good along with Blackfire Wet Diamond

AIO I have D151 and I like it a lot. I also have used Menzerna PF2500 with great results.
    Official Detailing Team Member of Air Force One
    Flex 3401 / Flex PE8 / Rupes 21 / G110v2 / GG6" / Rupes 75E / GG3"
    Click and Like my Facebook Page