autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: First ever detail: FG400 dusted like crazy, what did I do wrong?

So just FG400 with MF Cutting straight up? No mix or anything?
    Do u prime the MF Pad still?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pureshine View Post
    I use FG400 and MF all the time with out a problem. You might be using to much product. For the dusting yes you are using to much product cause I have never had a dusting problem with it.
    Curious about FG400 and speed as well. I have the rupes lhr21 and im using the mf pad with it. I primed the pad with two sprays of distilled water and 3 dime size dots (6" pad). I added another 3 dime sized dots and worked it in to half the hood (audi s5). I was running the lhr at 4, however I am not sure if that is correct? Should i be running the switch at 6? or 3? The product felt as if it dried pretty quick. Maybe 3 dime size dots? and a spray of water if I feel it drying? Attached is a picture of the hood. Maybe someone can chime in.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails First ever detail: FG400 dusted like crazy, what did I do wrong?-photo-2-jpg  

Post Thanks / Like

Half of the hood is 2-3 times the size of the area you should be working. You should be working in sections no bigger than 2' x 2'.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mastercraft241 View Post
    Curious about FG400 and speed as well. I have the rupes lhr21 and im using the mf pad with it. I primed the pad with two sprays of distilled water and 3 dime size dots (6" pad). I added another 3 dime sized dots and worked it in to half the hood (audi s5). I was running the lhr at 4, however I am not sure if that is correct? Should i be running the switch at 6? or 3? The product felt as if it dried pretty quick. Maybe 3 dime size dots? and a spray of water if I feel it drying? Attached is a picture of the hood. Maybe someone can chime in.
    Agree on the dry quick part and I did not add extra water.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by capnp72 View Post
    Half of the hood is 2-3 times the size of the area you should be working. You should be working in sections no bigger than 2' x 2'.
    I was under the impression that was a general rule. However the rupes has. 21" throw, so a 2 x 2 area means your moving the polisher 3" each direction. A regular PC has a 6" throw, so two feet would be 4x each way. Apple same method for rupes that would be a 5x5 area. Not sure if this is correct, just my thought process as I always thought the 2 x 2 was to make multiple passes in conjunction with properly working the products.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mastercraft241 View Post
    I was under the impression that was a general rule. However the rupes has. 21" throw, so a 2 x 2 area means your moving the polisher 3" each direction. A regular PC has a 6" throw, so two feet would be 4x each way. Apple same method for rupes that would be a 5x5 area. Not sure if this is correct, just my thought process as I always thought the 2 x 2 was to make multiple passes in conjunction with properly working the products.
    It's not a 21" throw, it's a 21mm. throw which equals about an inch. FYI a PC has about a 8mm throw which is 5/16 of an inch throw. So a 2'X2' section should be adequate.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by throw and I've never used a Rupes but with my PC you don't want to work that large of an area. It might be acceptable with the Rupes.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by capnp72 View Post
    I'm not exactly sure what you mean by throw and I've never used a Rupes but with my PC you don't want to work that large of an area. It might be acceptable with the Rupes.
    DA oscillate as they rotate. So as it spins the pad it physically moves it in a circular fashion. The Rupes has a larger oscillation that the PC.

Post Thanks / Like

Last weekend I used Menzerna FG-400 for the first time on a black Hyundai Elantra and my jaw nearly dropped, seriously! I was shocked at how easily it removed every surface defect I present and most importantly how nicely it finished up!

I started the correction with my Makita 9227 rotary and a White 5 1/2" foam pad. I squeezed a line of product across the pad, laid it on the trunk lid then switched it on. As I moved the machine slowly across the panel I was impressed with its lubricity yet it corrected very quickly. Even though the trunk lid wasn't overly large I elected to divide it into 3 sections so that I wasn't tempted to tackle too large of a section.

Something else I like about Menzerna polishes is they diminish as they're worked making it easy to gauge your progress.

While my results using a White foam pad were outstanding I decided to use a Gray foam pad and go over the same area and see if it improved....and it did! A Gray foam pad is what I'd call a finishing pad which I use for removing buffer swirls and light marring. It has no cut yet provides enough support to improve on what I had already done.

I saw very little dusting is at all and give FG-400 a two thumbs up.......

BobbyG - 2004 Millennium Yellow Z06 Corvette

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fenderpicks View Post
    So just FG400 with MF Cutting straight up? No mix or anything?
    Do u prime the MF Pad still?
    Yes you have to prime the pad first with product and then add a couple pea size drops and you can mix product if needed. The most important thing with MF pads is the clean the pad ever panel or every section. I do every section so I'm always working clean.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast