autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

First ever detail: FG400 dusted like crazy, what did I do wrong?

Hi all,

I have learned a ton from reading this forum, and finally worked on my car. Will post pictures soon in the show-off section. I have an Audi A4, which apparently is covered in an impenetrable shell. I first tried UC on an orange pad, not happy with the results. Tested UC with a Cyan, no go. I ended up needing FG400 on a Cyan cutting pad to get results. The car was washed with Gold Class and clayed prior to compounding.

My technique included priming the pad on a fresh out of the package 5.5 inch cyan 7/8 cutting bad on a 5 inch back plate. I then put 3 small dabs as Mike does in his videos. I quickly spread the product out around my working area, then slowly made my passes. People seem to rave about FG400, but having never used a compound in my life, this seemed to dust like crazy. I ended up with good results, but the dust was really annoying. I was using Mikes "clean on the fly" technique with a white towel.

What should I be doing different? Too much product? A spray of QD?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: First ever detail: FG400 dusted like crazy, what did I do wrong?

A couple of thoughts:

Did you prime the pad?

I only had minimal dusting using FG400 - I did find that a quick spritz of WG Pad conditioner every now and then helped too. That and cleaning the pads every section pass or two is key, which it sounds like you're doing.

I'm sure others with considerably more experience than me will chime in but just a couple of thoughts. Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like

I did prime the pad, maybe I was using too much? It just seemed to dry up very quickly

Can you use ONR as a QD for a pad spray or do you need something special?

Super Member Detail-Impressions's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I experienced the same dusting with first test section with foam pad. Changed to microfiber and the product produced excellent result no dusting.

Post Thanks / Like

I have heard of this problem before, and some what experienced it.

Sounds like you are tackling a section too big at a time with the speed set too high in direct sunlight and moving too slow (or any one of those reasons alone will cause this to happen)

This causes the compound to actually dry on the paint, then when the edge of the pad touches it, it breaks it apart and starts dusting.

A good practice is to mist one shot of water or QD (i prefer water) onto the pad. Then 2 or 3 drops of product and work in a small section at a time.

Post Thanks / Like
    I would say you're possibly using too much product. I had minimal dusting. Try using a pinch less product and be sure to keep cleaning your pad after each section. If you have a pad cleaning brush, they do a good job off breaking up caked on product on your pad after each section.

Post Thanks / Like

I say you are using to much product as well. I prime the pad and then go straight to my section without adding the working product for the first go 'round. For my second section pass and then after I will add 2-3 drops and go from there.

Also I have found that speed 6 is overkill and really shortens the working time as well as causing more of the dusting problem. Cut back the speed to 4 or 5 and see where that gets you.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Andr3wilson View Post
    I have heard of this problem before, and some what experienced it.

Sounds like you are tackling a section too big at a time with the speed set too high in direct sunlight and moving too slow (or any one of those reasons alone will cause this to happen)

This causes the compound to actually dry on the paint, then when the edge of the pad touches it, it breaks it apart and starts dusting.

A good practice is to mist one shot of water or QD (i prefer water) onto the pad. Then 2 or 3 drops of product and work in a small section at a time.
    Thanks, I was in the shade. Mike seems to say most rookies go too fast, so maybe I was going too slow to compensate. Maybe too big of a work area.

SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry to thread jack, but i have heard about people using MF cutting disc w/ FG400.

But the consistency of FG400 is so thick, as soon as u lay the cutting disc on the paint, all the MF fiber is all flat.... Wouldnt that decrease the discs cutting power dramatically?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fenderpicks View Post
    Sorry to thread jack, but i have heard about people using MF cutting disc w/ FG400.

But the consistency of FG400 is so thick, as soon as u lay the cutting disc on the paint, all the MF fiber is all flat.... Wouldnt that decrease the discs cutting power dramatically?
    I use FG400 and MF all the time with out a problem. You might be using to much product. For the dusting yes you are using to much product cause I have never had a dusting problem with it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast