autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

What is my best option for removing or improving this orange peel?

I apologize if this exact question has been asked already, a search answered some bits and pieces, but not the whole scenario...

I bought a black 2013 Honda Accord Touring a couple of months ago and, although almost all new cars have orange peel these days, I found the orange peel on my new baby to be much worse than should be acceptable. I'm far too OCD to just leave it alone.

Here are some pictures as an example:

What is my best option for removing or improving this orange peel?-imageuploadedbyagonline1368105834-649777-jpg
    What is my best option for removing or improving this orange peel?-imageuploadedbyagonline1368105847-548572-jpg
    What is my best option for removing or improving this orange peel?-imageuploadedbyagonline1368105858-976164-jpg
    What is my best option for removing or improving this orange peel?-imageuploadedbyagonline1368105870-964301-jpg

I'll start by saying I know that factory paint is very thin, which is the primary reason I'm asking my question the way I am. My question is:

Which of the following is the best / safest way to remove or at least minimize the orange peel on my car without repainting? I'm looking to minimize the amount of clear that is removed while also maximizing the results as much as is practical. My current equipment includes a PC 7424XP and a Griot's 3" polisher. I'm willing to invest a reasonable amount in additional tools if absolutely necessary. I'm also open to other reasonable alternatives that I can do myself.

Option 1:
    Damp sand with 5000 grit sandpaper, such as the 3M Trizact 5000 grit discs. Will these discs help to level the paint without taking too much off? Are they even aggressive enough?

Option 2:
    Damp sand with 3000 grit sandpaper, such as the 3M Trizact or the Meguiar's Uni-grit 3000 grit discs?

Option 3:
    Use a Car-Pro velvet pad with the appropriate compound, which I understand to be equivalent to a 3000 grit sandpaper.

Option 4:
    Use a combination of any of the following products I already own: Meguiar's M101 / M105 / M205 with either foam pads or microfiber cutting / finishing discs? My concern with using this process is that this method of polishing will remove clear from both the peaks and valleys of the orange peel, leaving me no better off than before.

Option 5:
    Complain to Honda and make them fix it (very slim chance of this actually working...)
    2013 Honda Accord Touring - Crystal Black Pearl/Black

Post Thanks / Like

Re: What is my best option for removing or improving this orange peel?

The Velvet pads are not that aggressive and wont remove you much as sand paper does,
    the denims removed about 2~3 microns each pass you do.
    i suggest you first to check how thick is your clearcoat

Post Thanks / Like
    I do plan on purchasing a PTG. I'm really interested in the velvet pads, but everyone seems to be out of stock. I'd need them in both 3" and 5" sizes.

Post Thanks / Like

Ehhh Honda Paint... I have it in my front bumper but I learned to live with it. So the whole car would be mirror liks except front bumper. One day I'm going to wet sand it and ill let you know how thin is it since I'll be replacing the bumper anyways. As far as now goes its going to be pretty scary on a new car. I don't even dare to wet sand my headlights cause it's retrofitted and I pay a lot of money for it so yeah.
    •Kevin
    UC - M205 - SF4500 - BFWD - BFMS

Post Thanks / Like

Is this a DD? If so:

I'm sure you know that if you successfully remove all of this orange peel...
    the CC will be even thinner than it is now.

How, then, do you plan on protecting all of the paint-film layers in order
    for them, (including the CC), to last their expected life-span?

Perhaps one of the Opti-Coatings?

Just curious.

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like
    It is a DD.

Post Thanks / Like
    Basically, I'm looking for the method that is going to be most effective while also removing the least amount of clear from the "valleys" of the orange peel texture.

Post Thanks / Like

I would just leave it alone. You are likely going to reduce paint thickness thus leading to more problems down the road. If you are really ocd like you said your best bet is to get it repainted or re-clear coated.
    FINESSE AUTO DETAIL

Technique vs. Product = Technique always wins

Post Thanks / Like

If you do this it would seem advisable, as FUNX suggested, to apply a coating afterwards to "replace" any UV protection you have removed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Let me also add that, although I'd love to have a show car finish, I know it just isn't practical without major expense. I basically just want to "knock down the high spots". Also, the whole car doesn't look like this. It's mostly limited to the vertical surfaces, some of which are better than others. I can post more pics if it will help.

Is it even worth trying the 5000 grit? What "grit equivalent" would M101 or M105 be on a DA with different pads?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast